Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

amazing ribs article on sauces

Options

I don't use a lot of sauces these days. Dry rubs for sure, mostly salt and pepper and Underwood's. What do you use?
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/bbq_sauce_types.html

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome back un.der your new - but looks a lot like your old - forum name. 

I'm with you.  I don't use sauce much on ribs.  Occasionally, I'll use whatever is laying around the house that I've received as a gift - and sometimes I mix it with honey before I apply it.  Just depends on my mood that day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I generally only use Eastern Carolina Mop or SC Mustard, depending on what I'm serving. I do like Bone Sucking Sauce or Blues Hog on Ribs, especially for crowds that are going to likely go for the "standard" BBQ profile of a sweetish tomato-based sauce(like Sweet Baby Rays). I'll also keep a bottle of that style on hand in case guests want a basic option versus the regional varieties I use that they may not be used to. I make my own Mop but do have Scott's on hand. For mustard, I use Bessinger's(Thomas - there are 4 brothers). Personally, I have not found a recipe that is as good as that, including Shealy's or any home-brewed version of mustard sauce.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stubbs' Original is my #1 store bought, perfect balance IMO.
    KC is up there too..AB's, Gates.  Love the tang, and celery note out of the Gates.
    I do keep a jar of Blues Hog Original on hand, love it on smoked chicken.
    Make my own Carolina Red for PP, catering stuff.  
    Anymore, I prefer the Mexican flavors with achiote, chiles, citrus, garlic, fresh salsa, fresh corn tortilla platform Pibil and Al Pastor vs the American cheap white bun, slaw, and sauce PP.
    Mustard based sauces are too one dimensional. 
    Buddy gave me a bottle of AL white, have yet to use it.  I think it's the color and gravy consistency holding me back ...will try it eventually.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Great read - thanks!  SOme new ideas to make/shop for.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My new fav
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Focker said:
    KC is up there too..AB's, Gates.  Love the tang, and celery note out of the Gates.
    Anymore, I prefer the Mexican flavors with achiote, chiles, citrus, garlic, fresh salsa, fresh corn tortilla platform Pibil and Al Pastor vs the American cheap white bun, slaw, and sauce PP.
    Buddy gave me a bottle of AL white, have yet to use it.  I think it's the color and gravy consistency holding me back ...will try it eventually.

Just my opinion, I think that White needs to be made at home. I don't like the bottled (that I have had) near as good as fresh made. Like @Eggcelsior said above, making mustard based is not easy and there are bottled sauces out there that are really good. My point here.....in all my ramblings....is that the Alabama sauce is better when home made. Just my two cents worth.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been on a Bob Sykes and Lane's BBQ sauce kick lately.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • znagle28
    znagle28 Posts: 33
    Options
    https://shop.lilliesq.com/collections/sauces

I've been using Lillie's Q sauces almost exclusively the past few months. The ivory is amazing on some smoked pulled chicken sandwiches.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I actually really like Guy Fieri Kansas City.   @Hans61 I've seen that one and wondered about it so may give that one a try.   I like a good BBQ sauce that isn't bottled sugar, which is one reason the Guy Fieri bottle is good for me.   I know vinegar based is lower, but I generally only like vinegar on my pulled pork.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Focker
    Options
    znagle28 said:
    https://shop.lilliesq.com/collections/sauces

I've been using Lillie's Q sauces almost exclusively the past few months. The ivory is amazing on some smoked pulled chicken sandwiches.
    Have seen some of that line at Schnucks, not the Ivory.  Put it back on the shelf after seeing the price.  

Have a hard time because Stubbs, and others, can be had on sale for $3 each.  Blues Hog seems to be my max at $5.  The Carolina Red sauce I make is 6 simple ingredients:   Ketchup, woosty sauce, brown sugar, BBQ rub, apple cider vinegar, meat drippings.  Cheap and easy.  =)

Maybe I'll try Lillie's some time, thanks.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

Just my opinion, I think that White needs to be made at home. I don't like the bottled (that I have had) near as good as fresh made. Like @Eggcelsior said above, making mustard based is not easy and there are bottled sauces out there that are really good. My point here.....in all my ramblings....is that the Alabama sauce is better when home made. Just my two cents worth.
    Cool.  Seems like it would work great on fried chicken and mashed taters.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Focker said:

I agree! My family loves Alabama White Sauce, we always have a bottle in the fridge. It's easy enough to make...

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup apple juice

1 tablespoon powdered garlic

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish from a jar (either in vinegar or creamy)

1 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Found these at HEB.  they are not a sauce or rub but they sure enhance the flavor of the meat and veggies.  Have not tried them on old shoe leather yet.  =)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I've enjoyed Bone Suckin' Sauce and Dino BBQ sauce but a recent article on sauces (I can't recall exactly where I read it) said that Sweet Baby Rays was the standard that all bbq sauces should be measure by, so i just bought my first one. Haven't tried it, but at $3-4 each it saves a whole lot of work.
  • Focker
    Options
    ATK rides Bullseye hard.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    whldch said:
    I've enjoyed Bone Suckin' Sauce and Dino BBQ sauce but a recent article on sauces (I can't recall exactly where I read it) said that Sweet Baby Rays was the standard that all bbq sauces should be measure by, so i just bought my first one. Haven't tried it, but at $3-4 each it saves a whole lot of work.
    For the price SBRs is the one. If you want some more zip, add some Franks or any other hot sauce. Want a mop, add some ACV or apple juice. For almost any recipe I've seen that uses ketchup or tomato sauce, just substitute SBRs. Never been disappointed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have been making the Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe. I like it on ribs.
    For finishing sauce I have been using the Cookshack Mild. It's sweet like a Kansas City style. The combination of the Memphis Dust and the Cookshack Mild is really good on ribs.

For pork butts I use the Amazing Ribs Lexington Dip recipe. I also put a little of the Cookshack Mild on the sandwich for balance.

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 on Memphis dust - love it on ribs and pork butt!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    I do the Memphis Dust too on ribs & butts.  I really like Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub on brisket, too.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

You should give Lane's BBQ - Sorta White a go if you haven't.  It's really good and pairs well with their Kinda Sweet.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:

You should give Lane's BBQ - Sorta White a go if you haven't.  It's really good and pairs well with their Kinda Sweet.  

What do you do, mix the two? Do you use it on all meats or just cheeekin?