Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
My first attempt at a spatchcock chicken. So damn good, it won't be my last.

No time for brining this time, so skin wasn't crispy. Used Simon & Garfunkel rub in oil, under skin and on, raised direct, 375-400, about an hour, to get to IT of 150 on breast. Tented chicken for about 10 minutes before cutting. One chunk of apple wood, which was the perfect amount. Also, made a jus from Koji (link), which amped it up even more. Will be doing this cook again soon, maybe with Memphis Dust.

One other fix will be the raised direct. If you notice in the picture, I set some fire bricks on the fire ring. As you can imagine, that didn't work too well, as they fell off a couple of times as I moved things around and added other food. Next time, will put my CI grate on fire ring, then fire bricks, then normal grate on top of that. Hoping that works better and doesn't change the cook too much.

Cincinnati, OH
Large BGE

Comments

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    Nice job. Just got done spatchcocking one for tomorrow....fridge drying til then.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    That's some lovely looking skin. I found that raising into the dome crisped up the skin nicely.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    That's some lovely looking skin. I found that raising into the dome crisped up the skin nicely.
    That's what I'm thinking. Along with a dry brine overnight in the fridge, I'm hoping for much better skin.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nicely done. 

Firebricks worked just fine for me for a while before I bought the PSWoo2. 

Spatch is such a fun cook. Can spice/rub in countless ways. It's also hard to screw up. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking bird!!!  I agree if you raise it up it will crisp it up more... also point the chicken legs to the back toward the hinge where it's hotter and the dark meat will finish more in time with the white meat...  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks and sounds great! I had not seen that Serious Eats article so I appreciate the link. It's Kenji, btw, not Koji. :) Nice guy, very helpful. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    That looks and sounds great! I had not seen that Serious Eats article so I appreciate the link. It's Kenji, btw, not Koji. :) Nice guy, very helpful. 
    Thanks for the correction.  ;)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great looking bird. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nice job, we think alike. I did the same tonight

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/