Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

My first attempt at a spatchcock chicken. So damn good, it won't be my last.

No time for brining this time, so skin wasn't crispy. Used Simon & Garfunkel rub in oil, under skin and on, raised direct, 375-400, about an hour, to get to IT of 150 on breast. Tented chicken for about 10 minutes before cutting. One chunk of apple wood, which was the perfect amount. Also, made a jus from Koji (link), which amped it up even more. Will be doing this cook again soon, maybe with Memphis Dust.

One other fix will be the raised direct. If you notice in the picture, I set some fire bricks on the fire ring. As you can imagine, that didn't work too well, as they fell off a couple of times as I moved things around and added other food. Next time, will put my CI grate on fire ring, then fire bricks, then normal grate on top of that. Hoping that works better and doesn't change the cook too much.

Cincinnati, OH
Large BGE

Comments