Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Strips, Finished on Egg

BigWings
BigWings Posts: 172
I got an Anova for Christmas and have done a bunch of stuff but oddly enough this week was the first attempt at steak.  Ooh Mama!

New Brunswick, Canada

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Nice Work!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Nicely done!  Try a real thick filet - your mind will be blown.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BigWings
    Nicely done!  Try a real thick filet - your mind will be blown.  
    I will hold you to that!

New Brunswick, Canada

• That looks awesome!!  What was the biggest difference to you doing it this way?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • BigWings
    That looks awesome!!  What was the biggest difference to you doing it this way?
    Biggest differences were how simple, and how juicy it was.   I left it in at 129 degrees for 2 hours, which was an hour longer than needed but within the window.   My wife was delayed getting home so I just let it sit, with no worry of overcooking.   I dried it off and seared it hot and fast on the egg so there was a beautiful tasty crust but medium rare from edge to edge.  Succulent!

New Brunswick, Canada

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Very nice, those strips look amazing.

Before getting the Anova, steak for my wife had to be medium well, as she was turned off by blood/juice that would run out when cut. Now, she has no problem eating them medium rare since all the juice is absorbed into the steak.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BigWings
    CTMike said:
    Very nice, those strips look amazing.

Before getting the Anova, steak for my wife had to be medium well, as she was turned off by blood/juice that would run out when cut. Now, she has no problem eating them medium rare since all the juice is absorbed into the steak.
    My wife is the same way.   She is grossed out when blood gets in her mashed potatoes!

New Brunswick, Canada

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    DAAAAAAAAAAANGG!!!!!!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Saw the juice comment above (in the same boat here)... so do you not need to let it rest after the sear?
  • BigWings
    pflug said:
    Saw the juice comment above (in the same boat here)... so do you not need to let it rest after the sear?
    Even after a rest I find there is enought juice runoff to raise her hackles.   But apparently there is no need to rest when cooking sous vide as the sear is so fast that it doesn't really cook all the way through, thus not requiring time for the juice to stabilize in the meat.

That's the theory anyway, all I know is that it was damn succulent meat!

New Brunswick, Canada