Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do with leftover Pork?

Options
Made a couple of shoulders this weekend to test out my XL. Way too much for my wife and I (little one won't eat pork yet). Brought some to work, gave all my inlaws a pound each. Still have probably 2 pounds (besides the 2 pounds I vacuum sealed and freezer). Wandering if you all have any ideas, recipes etc to use this extra pork with. I can't just eat pork sandwichs for a week. Thanks in advance.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2017
    Options
    GREEN CHILI PORK HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE FOR MANY YEARS.  NEED TO GET TO ANOTHER LOCATION FOR RECIPE TOMORROW.

knew google was good for something

Richard Fl Posts: 8,125
    Here is one recipe that has evolved. Now use pulled pork.

Chili, Pork, Green, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!
    5 This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25

2009/08/21--Richard Fl--Cooked 2 8 1/2 lbs pork butt 350F for 3 hours. Used them for the Florida Mini Fest. Made 3 gallons chili and took to party and reheated in 9 qt DO.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nachos, Tacos, Chili......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Pizza, Quesadillas and Stuffed potatoes

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Repurpose for anything "Mexican". I use leftovers for enchiladas, burritos, tostadas, etc. It's good with eggs too. Throw on a pizza, anything really.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Pulled port nachos with sweet potato slices instead of tortilla chips is a fan fave around here. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Mix with habanero cheese and use as filler for ABT's.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • etherdome
    Options
    What is this phenomenon you are referring to as "leftover pork"? Never heard of it. Tell me more .....
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My goodness.  A better question might be "what can't you do with leftover PP?"
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Pulled Pork Benedict. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Enchiladas. Chili. Nachos. And...its really good in the middle of a grilled cheese sandwich. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    i like to grind the pull for soup/stew/chili, it can get stringey if it cooks too long to cook it that way or if it will be heated up a few times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    The wife does some kick a$$ pulled pork egg rolls with homemade cole slaw.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • volminimax
    Options
    Thanks guys! I knew you all would have plenty of suggestions. I have leftovers because I cooked way too much....on purpose....trying to test and see how much pork I need for my son's birthday party in a couple of weeks. Wanted to give some to my father-in-law because he is a big fan of pulled pork sandwiches. People at work enjoyed it.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nachos, tacos, wontons, pizza, omelettes, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I donate to the various homeless shelters around town, and take some to the first reponders in our area. It is always appreciated.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Quesadillas and pizza is our go-to.  For pizza we do a 'Hawaiian BBQ'.  Mix the pork with a little BBQ sauce, add it to a pizza along with some onion and pineapple pieces (and whatever else you want to throw on there, we still use tomato sauce with these), and after you cook it drizzle some more BBQ sauce on top of the cheese.

Before adding the cheese

Ready to eat!

Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't just eat pork pork sandwiches for a week Have you considered seeing a doctor about that?

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Cubano sammiches!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Our leftover pulled pork usually goes into a BBQ pizza, enchiladas (green or red sauce), tacos and nachos, but most people around here are more creative than we are.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Didn't read all comments so sorry if any of this is a repeat. Tacos, nachos,  tetrazzini, pizza, plain on a plate/sandwich  :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I never have leftover anything. I have a 22-year-old skinny 6'3" grandson living here who's a human food vacuum cleaner. I sure miss those leftovers.
    Judy in San Diego