Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered new griddle - must have accessories?

After much debate and back and forth (in my own mind) about how much I will use it and if I really need it, I broke down and purchased a griddle. I looked at the reviews and comparisons between the Blackstone and Camp Chef Flat grill and opted for the CC griddle. It was $20 more than the BS but included a cover and can convert to a grill so I went that route. 

Anyway, what are the must have accessories in your opinion? I know I need things like spatulas, scraper, press, squeeze bottles, but curious if 1) you have a favorite and 2) what you purchased but don't use. 

Thanks in advance Eggers!

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Two heavy spatulas for chopping cheese steaks and a pizza peel for flipping giant pancakes! Lol
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Large sheetrock taping knife for scraping, a cement trowel for smashing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • A balpein hammer for tendering meat !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    some type of cover/dome to hold in moisture, melt cheese and such.......

did this in the egg but you get the idea.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    tdub4 said:
    After much debate and back and forth (in my own mind) about how much I will use it and if I really need it, I broke down and purchased a griddle. I looked at the reviews and comparisons between the Blackstone and Camp Chef Flat grill and opted for the CC griddle. It was $20 more than the BS but included a cover and can convert to a grill so I went that route. 

Anyway, what are the must have accessories in your opinion? I know I need things like spatulas, scraper, press, squeeze bottles, but curious if 1) you have a favorite and 2) what you purchased but don't use. 

Thanks in advance Eggers!
    I'm interested in your thoughts of the CC. I'll be looking at their stuff next month. I've heard good things. Enjoy!
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    @pgprescott You bet, I will let you know. Watched this video which seems to provide some good comparison info:

https://youtu.be/cAoGUup8rXk

Thanks to everyone for replies so far!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    tdub4 said:
    @pgprescott You bet, I will let you know. Watched this video which seems to provide some good comparison info:

https://youtu.be/cAoGUup8rXk

Thanks to everyone for replies so far!
     I've seen that one too. Looks good. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've been considering getting that Camp Chef since last summer but with the Blackstone 28" available for just $75 and the grill conversion top for it just another $75 I'm not convinced that the Camp Chef is worth twice the price.

Of course I'll probably still remain indecisive long enough until the all the $75 Blackstones are gone in my area making the point moot. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tdub4
    @HeavyG I understand your dilemma. Since there are no $99 28" in my area it made my decision easier, otherwise probably would have done that instead. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @focker - how nonstick are those egg rings? I've got some metal ones but they have to be sprayed well with oil so the eggs don't stick.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hntnhrd
    I picked up a couple domes for melting cheese at Walmart for $5.50 each they are a definite nice thing to have 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    caliking said:
    @focker - how nonstick are those egg rings? I've got some metal ones but they have to be sprayed well with oil so the eggs don't stick.
    They don't stick like the 3" SS ones I have.

The rings usually go on with plenty of grease from the bacon.  Before removing the rings, I score the rims with a toothpick.  Spraying or a drop or two spread around from the squirt bottle, doesn't hurt.  Lately it has been toothpick only, after swirling the ring in the bacon grease.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Focker said:
    This Zenware 3 piece teppanyaki set on amazon is hard to beat for 15 bucks.

Paper towel holder, Al Nordicware warming domes, silicone egg rings, squirt bottles, tongs, and my CI bacon press for smashing come in handy.

Thanks for the tip on the Zenware set @Focker they just arrived and I'm very happy with the price and quality. 
  • You will find yourself thinking about different meals you can cook on the Flat Top Griddle. I got one myself and love it. Cooked a couple Skillets for dinner last night and the wife loved it. It is like getting food from and old world diner.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited February 2017
    I thought someone here above was kidding. A self basting dome from Walmart?
    I was there to get something quick and saw these HD domes for 5 some $.
    Picked up 2 of them and also some squeeze bottles for 0.88$ 
    You have to see the bowls. They are HEAVY! And the handle folds away like a bucket handle. Sorry, couldn't help it. I guess I get carried away by lil things. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Focker
    Luvnlife said:
    Focker said:
    This Zenware 3 piece teppanyaki set on amazon is hard to beat for 15 bucks.

Paper towel holder, Al Nordicware warming domes, silicone egg rings, squirt bottles, tongs, and my CI bacon press for smashing come in handy.

Thanks for the tip on the Zenware set @Focker they just arrived and I'm very happy with the price and quality. 
    Thanks, no problem.  I too, was really impressed with the quality of all 3 items.  

I even shopped around for quality SS joint knives at stores while putting together the kitchen refresh.  A 6 inch was $14, almost the price of this entire set, and this scraper is better.  Pays to look around a little.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:
    I even shopped around for quality SS joint knives at stores while putting together the kitchen refresh.  A 6 inch was $14, almost the price of this entire set, and this scraper is better.  Pays to look around a little.
    Squirt bottle question I've been meaning to ask - what do you guys find best for cooking/oiling your Blackstone? When I make smash burgers using a griddle on my bge they seem to stick and then break apart. I've tried some butter, some grape seed oil as well as nothing! So you must be using those squirt bottles for something!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Squirt bottle question I've been meaning to ask - what do you guys find best for cooking/oiling your Blackstone? When I make smash burgers using a griddle on my bge they seem to stick and then break apart. I've tried some butter, some grape seed oil as well as nothing! So you must be using those squirt bottles for something!
    I like Colavita EVOO for general use.
    Ghee, lard as well, but keep them solid in a Ball jar.
    My smashburgers get a little bit of oil, keeps things from sticking.  A thin spatula helps here too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hntnhrd
    I use canola and not had a problem also 80/20 burger seems to have enough fat in them not to stick for me. I also slide my big spatula from the side and it doesn't leave any burger on the surface. 
  • Focker
    A cool hackjob for the Blackstoners.
    https://youtu.be/npDO6IUrO_0
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Focker said:
    I have a set of the SS ones.  They're fine bot I like this Brandon!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tdub4
    Ok griddle to be delivered on Thursday. Already received (thanks AMZN) the melting bowls, Zenware set, egg rings, and surface thermometer (needed an excuse for one of these)!  The squirt bottles and press will be here Wednesday. Gotta start planning some cooks. 

Thanks all!
  • Hntnhrd
    Bacon!!! Cook lots of Bacon. I try to eat bacon twice a day. Takes my mind off the terrible chest pains I keep getting. 
  • Focker
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    I have a set of the SS ones.  They're fine bot I like this Brandon!
    Thanks, I do too, and don't mind eating the onion with the egg.  Definitely handy out camping, no rings to clean.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    For breakfast items I use "Whirl Butter". An oil based product designed to replace butter in high temp environments. Popular in commercial flat top cooking. Olive or canola oil for things not matched well with butter taste.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Focker
    CtTOPGUN said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    For breakfast items I use "Whirl Butter". An oil based product designed to replace butter in high temp environments. Popular in commercial flat top cooking. Olive or canola oil for things not matched well with butter taste.
    Yeah, that partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and artificial butter, brings out the best.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Focker said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Yeah, that partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and artificial butter, brings out the best.  ;)

LOL. Probably not the best thing for long term health. But it works and tastes pretty good in practice. A whole lot easier than clarifying butter in the quantities I would need.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • tdub4
    Just an update from my original post.

The griddle arrived at the end of last week and got it setup this weekend. Put it together on Sunday and had breakfast for dinner last night - eggs, bacon and pancakes (no pics....but it happened!)

Then tonight I was flying solo so tried a cheesesteak. Had the butcher at the meat department slice up a ribeye. Used about a 1/3 of the meat and used the FoodSaver to seal/freeze the rest. Cut up some onions, mushroom and pepper along with the meat, cheese and hoagie roll.

Very happy so far...a lot more cooks to follow!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Buy them all.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga