Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Griddle Round Kettle-Q Tips?

Well... as I drooled over all these black stone grill pictures that I don't have space for, I came across another egghead showing pictures of smasherburgers and other fun things cooked on this round egg sized griddle;

...so, I put it on my Amazon wish list, forgot about it, and low and behold the MIL gets it for my birthday!  Nice.

Now what do I do with it?  Okay... too simple of a question, I'm looking for tips to season, use and store.  Is this something that will rust easily on me if stored outside in a cabinet?  Do I have to season it?  Is it easy enough to clean by throwing some water on it and scraping it over heat?

I'm not sure how to manage that grease trap. Depending what I'm cooking and how much, I can see that getting full.

Hopefully someone reading this has one and can give me some tips, as I may just fire it up tonight.  :)

Here is a picture from Google of someone else using one;

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• I seasoned and cleaned mine just like a stone. First I scrubbed it with soap and water. Then I heated it up, put oil on it, and let it hang out for half an hour. 

I havent had an overflow from the grease yet and I cooked on it quite a bit (less now that I have my Blackstone). 

My best advice is to get all new charcoal in. I did a few cooks where everything had a real greasy smoke flavor after a low and slow. (Mostly fried rice that absorbs flavors). 

Also so check the level of your grill. I found mine was angled back a little and grease hung out in the back. Easily remedied but made for 1 difficult cook. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I don't I actually ever seasoned mine. Just cooked on it. Mine stays in an outside cabinet next to the egg and has never rusted. I have never overflowed the grease trap. I just scrub it good while still hot and then wipe with a paper towel. Fire the egg up to about 350-400 and get to cooking on it. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• KiterTodd said:
    Well... as I drooled over all these black stone grill pictures that I don't have space for, I came across another egghead showing pictures of smasherburgers and other fun things cooked on this round egg sized griddle;

...so, I put it on my Amazon wish list, forgot about it, and low and behold the MIL gets it for my birthday!  Nice.

Now what do I do with it?  Okay... too simple of a question, I'm looking for tips to season, use and store.  Is this something that will rust easily on me if stored outside in a cabinet?  Do I have to season it?  Is it easy enough to clean by throwing some water on it and scraping it over heat?

I'm not sure how to manage that grease trap. Depending what I'm cooking and how much, I can see that getting full.

Hopefully someone reading this has one and can give me some tips, as I may just fire it up tonight.  :)

Here is a picture from Google of someone else using one;

Wrap up some paper towels n put in grease trap, it will absorb most of grease,   just push paper towels down low in trap...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Do you cook with the grill open or closed?

I would assume when cook time allows, you still close it.  But for quick cook things like eggs and smashburgers, it may be open most of the time.  Just wondering, I've never actually cooked with my egg open and I'm not sure if it gets crazy hot or is controllable with a full load of lump.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    KiterTodd said:
    Do you cook with the grill open or closed?

I would assume when cook time allows, you still close it.  But for quick cook things like eggs and smashburgers, it may be open most of the time.  Just wondering, I've never actually cooked with my egg open and I'm not sure if it gets crazy hot or is controllable with a full load of lump.
    I just get my egg up to temperature with my Griddle-Q in and then close my bottom vent and open my dome. Griddle cooking like a wok is done fast so with the bottom vent closed the egg doesn't become an inferno.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    Okay then...last night I made steaks.  Tonight... smashburgers!

I can't tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing I do not raise the grate at all. Just throw the griddle on top which will bring it to just below gasket level.  eh?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay then...last night I made steaks.  Tonight... smashburgers!

I can't tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing I do not raise the grate at all. Just throw the griddle on top which will bring it to just below gasket level.  eh?
    BINGO!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    First cook was a success!

so, after you're done cooking what's the quickest way to start eating?  I cleaned the surface and then took it off the grill.  Figured if I left it sit while we ate any remnants would just bake into the surface.  

LBGE/Maryland
  • @KiterTodd, @RRP, @Killit_and_Grillit, @outrageous, @shtgunal3

Could you please tell me.... are there any advantages to this over a simple large carbon steel paella pan sitting at grate level (other than the grease trap on the Kettle Q)? I have a gift certificate to a local BBQ shop and am tempted to pick one of these up, unless they are redundant. 
  • Looping in @Shawn, who did a review of the Kettle Q. Feel free to respond in French, Shawn. I am fluent. Merci!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I’ve never used carbon steel or  paella pan so I’m not going to be much help to you.

I will tell you that I haven’t used the little griddle Q since I got the 17” Blackstone.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3 said:
    I’ve never used carbon steel or  paella pan so I’m not going to be much help to you.

I will tell you that I haven’t used the little griddle Q since I got the 17” Blackstone.
    Thanks for the reply. While I can see a Blackstone being of immense value, it's not as practical in my area - long winters (featuring a temp of -34F today!). Hence my research for potential acquisition of the Kettle Q.

• You’ll have to get a more recent update from @The_Stache. I gave him mine after I got my Blackstone. Seemed redundant. 

However that drip tray makes all the difference. Especially with smash burgers. That way you aren’t just simmering them in their own fat. 

Just get it. =) It’s the next best thing to a Blackstone. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• KiterTodd
    @GrateEggspectations I also have a big carbon steel paella pan and sadly I rarely use it.  I guess, this is a big flat top.  So you have more space and flexibility in how you cook.  You can come right in with the spatula to scrape up your smash burger or whatever you're cooking.  You feel like you're own mini short order cook on this thing!  :)

Obviously, it's not as good as having a blackstone, but I don't have space to keep one of those.  When I want to cook on a griddle, this addresses that urge.  It's more fun to cook on, than a necessity.  Everything I cook on this I could also do in a big pan, but with this you get a lot more things going at one time.

LBGE/Maryland

Could you please tell me.... are there any advantages to this over a simple large carbon steel paella pan sitting at grate level (other than the grease trap on the Kettle Q)? I have a gift certificate to a local BBQ shop and am tempted to pick one of these up, unless they are redundant. 
    I used a $49 lodge rectangle griddle before I got my blackstone and it worked like a champ. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

I used a $49 lodge rectangle griddle before I got my blackstone and it worked like a champ. 
    This fits on your fire ring if you want to get it low and it also fits perfectly in an Adjustable Rig so you can tweak how high/low you want it. (Sorry for the bad pics)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I think I have the little griddle? Anyways it fits in the AR so I can raise or lower it. In the summer I will use paper towel for the grease and in the winter I will just close the lid and let it cool down, then clean out the grease the next day after its hardened.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    As @Killit_and_Grillit mentioned, I am now the proud keeper of the griddle.  I've used it a few times for smashburgers, fried rice, etc and it's worked great!  Being only 2 people in our household I haven't been able to justify a blackstone and this grill serves our purposes perfectly.  Paper Towel in the grease catch tray works well and clean up is essentially like any other grill... Water, scrape, water, wipe clean, oil followed by a final wipe down.  It may sound like a lot of work, but it's pretty quick and best done while the griddle is still hot.

I think the comments already made point out the differences between function of the little griddle vs a paella pan.  The advantage of the paella pan would be that you can make paella!  I don't think that will work on the little griddle. :)

It's a great little griddle!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM