Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork and Beans. In the style of Dixie.

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Any jowl in there?
    I started to put some in there but decided to save it for when I cook large Limas (Elephant Ears). 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If you didn't soak those beans then you are probably going to have a fart fest in one of those tanks. I can hear the alarms going off already over there at Chevron.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    What is the smell in the reactor?
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @SGH  Congrats on your retirement from the SubSea industry.  Hopefully you aren't going from the frying pan into the fire. Be careful in those confined spaces. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Scottie, I don't think I ever saw a sausage gravy "in the style of dixie" post from you?  Did I miss it, or is that in the works?  Man, I hope it is!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    so it's a visual inspection or are you carrying some instruments with you? BTW what is that thing used for?
    It is used to break heavy hydrocarbons into lighter ones. Example; crude oil into gasoline and other end products. 
    Are those also called or considered fractional distillation towers?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Good to see you back sir! Stay safe working out there....
    Seattle, WA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Eggcellent!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SGH Nice to see you around my friend. The meal looks great as usual. Y'all are going to make me get a pressure cooker next I think.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Scotty when you resurface you do it in the style of Dixie. Nice work my friend. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looking its usual awesomeness for your cooks, Scott. 

Well done, Sir! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    No sir. "Columns" are what you are thinking about. A reactor starts a particular process. A fraction or distillation column is the end. As the name implies, fractions are drawn off of the column at different levels. The heavier fractions such as diesel are drawn off near the bottom, while lighter fractions such as propane rise to the top and are drawn off there. 

Elijah said:
    What is the smell in the reactor?
    Smells like a mix of mothballs and kerosene.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    SGH said:
    cssmd27 said:
    No sir. "Columns" are what you are thinking about. A reactor starts a particular process. A fraction or distillation column is the end. As the name implies, fractions are drawn off of the column at different levels. The heavier fractions such as diesel are drawn off near the bottom, while lighter fractions such as propane rise to the top and are drawn off there. 

Interesting.  So, what's the purpose of the reactor?  To just heat the raw product up before introduction into the distillation column?

Sorry to derail a great piggy thread on petroleum engineering, but I'm fascinated by the technology and industry sometimes.  My in laws own a niche off shore oil rig servicing company based out of Lafayette and I just marvel at the floating technology with it's massive size to go along with the precision involved.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    @cssmd27
    Im certainly no refining engineer myself. But I do understand the very basics. In a refinery, a reactor is used to start the first stage of breaking down a particular hydrocarbon into another. The hrdocarbon (be it what it may) will first be passed through a process heater and heated to a target temp, from there it will pass through the reactor over a certain kind of catalyst (depending on the end desired product) from there it will pass through either a heat exchanger or through a column. Again, it depends on the end goal. 

Status- Standing by.