Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - First Time on the BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Charlie tuna Posts: 177
    So how about a pork steak VS  a beef steak ?

Semantics, Mr. Tuna, semantics. They are cooked to a similar temperature. Moo(steak) vs. Oink(butt) is not.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Eggcelsior you are starting to scare me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I happen to be buddies with Myron's best prep man, he live five minutes from my house, and we trade results.  Cooking is not my profession, only a hobby(thank goodness), and i am having fun trying different things out, some good, and some not much difference, and of course - not too good!!!   :((  Many years ago it was, "get it on the table before it gets cold!".  But now that i study different "professional's" theories, THEN TRY THEM OUT, i consider the results IN MY OPINION.  If i am not sure, IN MY OPINION, i will not post something because it worked GOOD FOR ME ONCE !  I will try it out five or six times, because i know you can have a major difference in end results just from the meat or poultry you start with.  If i don't have something POSITIVE, that i have experience cooking, i'm not getting into that conversation.  And i will not harp on MY WAY of doing anything, everyone has their method and tastes.  Recently, i kind of tripped on a new(for me) method of spatchcocked chicken, so good that i have cooked it six times in three weeks!!!  My wife likes chicken, but she is giving me this look -- if you know what i mean!!! ~:>
  • wmrrock
    Options
    Larrymac said:

I "advocate" the "turbo Cooking" it's a whole lot easier and the finish time is more accurate.  All butts need to rest in a cooler for at least an hour, plus keep in mind they can remain "in" this cooler up to five hours, and remain very hot and ready to pull -- without a problem.  That gives you plenty of "serving time" leeway.

This is my turbo method.  I inject an hour or so ahead of time with about six ounces of Lawry's Teriyaki with pineapple juice marinade.  Sold at most grocery stores.  Cost about $3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle.  This will NOT make the pork taste like "teriyaki", but gives it a rich taste!  Because i am injecting, my finish temperature is raised to 210 degrees, normal butts are pulled at 190 to 200 degrees.  The first two hours are my smoke period, i use pecan, but other woods will work the same.  During this period i cook indirect, plate setter legs up with a drip pan made out of foil -- grill will be at gasket level.  iI use "Bad Bryon's Butt Rub" lightly, which is a mild rub, but use your choice.  Place butt directly on grill till you reach at least 160 degrees internal.  Remove the butt and place on foil and wrap tightly, use three layers of foil, maybe even four to safegaurd the juices produced by the butt.  Return the foiled butt to the same grill setup, and increase the grid temperature to 330 to 350 degrees, and cook till you reach 210 degrees internal.  Remove from grill and place in a small fitting cooler for at least an hour(or up to five hours) before serving.  If you are cooking say for a party the next day, and want to refrigerate the butt for re-heating, still allow to rest for one hour, then put in the refrigerator in the same foil.  To re-heat, place in a 300 degree oven about two hours before serving, pull just before serving and pour any huices back over the pulled pork.. 

Charlie: What is the temp of the egg in your first 2 hours when you are smoking ?
    Why use this method at all?  I can't see how this would improve a butt other than cook it faster.  Am I missing something?
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2013
    Options

wmrrock said:
    Larrymac said:

I "advocate" the "turbo Cooking" it's a whole lot easier and the finish time is more accurate.  All butts need to rest in a cooler for at least an hour, plus keep in mind they can remain "in" this cooler up to five hours, and remain very hot and ready to pull -- without a problem.  That gives you plenty of "serving time" leeway.

This is my turbo method.  I inject an hour or so ahead of time with about six ounces of Lawry's Teriyaki with pineapple juice marinade.  Sold at most grocery stores.  Cost about $3.50 for a 12 ounce bottle.  This will NOT make the pork taste like "teriyaki", but gives it a rich taste!  Because i am injecting, my finish temperature is raised to 210 degrees, normal butts are pulled at 190 to 200 degrees.  The first two hours are my smoke period, i use pecan, but other woods will work the same.  During this period i cook indirect, plate setter legs up with a drip pan made out of foil -- grill will be at gasket level.  iI use "Bad Bryon's Butt Rub" lightly, which is a mild rub, but use your choice.  Place butt directly on grill till you reach at least 160 degrees internal.  Remove the butt and place on foil and wrap tightly, use three layers of foil, maybe even four to safegaurd the juices produced by the butt.  Return the foiled butt to the same grill setup, and increase the grid temperature to 330 to 350 degrees, and cook till you reach 210 degrees internal.  Remove from grill and place in a small fitting cooler for at least an hour(or up to five hours) before serving.  If you are cooking say for a party the next day, and want to refrigerate the butt for re-heating, still allow to rest for one hour, then put in the refrigerator in the same foil.  To re-heat, place in a 300 degree oven about two hours before serving, pull just before serving and pour any huices back over the pulled pork.. 

Charlie: What is the temp of the egg in your first 2 hours when you are smoking ?
    Why use this method at all?  I can't see how this would improve a butt other than cook it faster.  Am I missing something?
    Nope. It is pure convenience. It allows you to do a typically overnight cook in 6-7 hours or less, based on amount of meat.

EDIT: I guess you could say it is also a stress reliever because you aren't going to toss and turn wondering if your fire went out.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Why use ANY method? Why not use the method your grandmother used?  This is what works for me, Look it over, if you can't figure it out, do what works for you.  I look at some recipes on this forum, and they just don't sound right for my tastes -- guess what -- i go to another recipe that sounds better to me and i try it -- yes i try it -- BEFORE i question it.  I had been cooking "low and slow" butts on my egg for about a year when some fisherman told me he could "duplicate the same thing on his $100 upright smoker in one third of the time".   So i tried it, and he was correct.  True there may be some slight differences(if you want to get technical) , but the overall product(in my opinion) is worth the change.  When i can produce (near the same product) for my use, without worrying about finish time, running out of fuel, or the fire going out and throwing the butt in the garbage, or what happened in the middle of the night, i use it. 
    I thought that was the purpose of this forum??    
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    It is, Mr Tuna, it is. This forum exists so people, whether rookies or veterans on the Egg, can come ask for help or share the fruits of their labor. There ideas can be agreed upon or disagreed upon, typically with humor. I can do the same time thing on my Weber kettle, it is just harder and more labor intensive. Turboing is similar. It's not better; it does the same thing as a 225 cook. It is faster. I should clarify: I wasn't commenting on anything but the act of turbo smoking. The rub and injection are personal taste preferences. Sorry if that caused confusion. I cook low and slows when I want to, I turbo when I want to. One isn't better, turbo is just faster.

I hope you asked your fisherman friend "Can you sear a steak or cook pizzeria-style pizza on that $100 smoker?"
    ;)
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Maverick + high-que grate = toss/turn free night--unless maverick wakes you up.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

This $100 smoker is the old Webber upright  -- sometimes refered to at "R2D2" and i know he can cook a steak on it -- now a pizza - i don't know??  That has nothing to do with the issue.

When you bring up "rookies or veterans" on the egg??  Please explain who and what determine if one is a "rookie or veteran"??  

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    That was a note on the humor things I mentioned.

The second part is a little obvious. Rookie = new to egg, new to forum, veteran = experienced with egg/can be new or older forum member.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike