Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the Egg

Havent made one yet but am going to give it a go this weekend. After doing some reading it looking like I need to get the temp to around 550 and let it sit there for about an hour.

I will have a raised grate and put pizza stone of top of 2nd grate.

Questions...

How long should i expect the pizzas to cook?

Should i put pizza stone in the egg as I get it to temp?
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    First question depends on your dough and quantity of toppings.  Range is anywhere from 7-15 minutes give or take.  Yes to let the stone come up to temp in the egg during warm up.  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • for the first tmie will probably just go with publix dough. not nearly as good as homeade but im not sure i feel like spendnig all day making dough.

will probably make a sausage with mushroom and onion pizza

and a  pepperoni and bell pepper

any extra dough ill roll up some breadsticks
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Don't overload the toppings and you'll be good.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Let the stone preheat for about 45 minutes, and put a head of garlic on there while it does.  When the stone is hot, you will have a perfectly roasted head of garlic.
    NOLA
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Pizza is a family favorite at my house. they love this pizza. Lately, I have started cooking high in the dome with a stone low in the egg. I cook right on the grate, makes for a night crush. I shoot for a temp around 600-700. takes 8-10 minutes. I rotate after a few minutes and keep a close eye on it.  IMO pizza is not a cook you walk away from - things tend to change quickly at those temps.

Family Favorite

Onion (grilled)
    Tomato (chunks or slices)
    Basil
    Prosciutto
    Sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite )

I also do a chicken with white BBQ sauce (it is killer)
    white BBQ sauce
    grilled onion
    grilled chicken

WHITE BBQ (you can serve this with anything - really)

1 CUP MAYO

Splash of  APPLE CIDER VINEGAR 

Splash of  WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

½ TSP KOSHER SALT

½ TSP GARLIC POWDER

½ TSP ONION POWDER

½ TSP FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I wish you all the best.....I had a few horrible attempts myself before figuring it out. In reality is probably somewhere along 10-12 pizza's before I perfected it (to my on standards). When you get it (hopefully on your first), you will find it hard to go out for pizza. I am a lover of the pie....and egged is off the carts good in my opinion. Bottom line, you will improve with each pie you make....so it only gets better. All the best on your za.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited February 2017
    My first attempt wasn't great but passable. Hopefully the next one will be better.

I had read somewhere about putting corn meal on the stone to keep the crust from sticking. Tried that and all I had was a burnt mess of corn meal before I could even get the pizza on the egg.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Cornmeal on the stone - as you found out - no no no.    The only purpose for using cornmeal is to help the raw dough slide off the peel and onto the cooking stone.  Do not use it on the stone or when rolling out the dough.  You can use cornmeal (fine grind), semolina, flour, or parchment paper for this purpose.  Semolina is the best choice.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cornmeal on the stone - as you found out - no no no.    The only purpose for using cornmeal is to help the raw dough slide off the peel and onto the cooking stone.  Do not use it on the stone or when rolling out the dough.  You can use cornmeal (fine grind), semolina, flour, or parchment paper for this purpose.  Semolina is the best choice.
    OK. fixed my post so that no one gets the wrong idea.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

That pic is of a pizza on top of a stone on the upper level of an XL AR.  I wanted to get the pizza as high in the dome as I could.  Turned out fantastic.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I'd encourage you to be open minded about time and temp.  Thicker pies (think Chicago deep dish) cook 40+ minutes at 350 or so.  Some very thin pies cook 2 minutes at 900.  For the pies I make, through some experimentation, I found the sweet spot is about 8-10 minutes at 450-500.  At other temps I had trouble with the crust and toppings cooking at different rates.  So, go with your current plan, but be prepared to troubleshoot and have it take you a few goes at it before you get it down the way you want.  That's part of the fun.  Enjoy the journey.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    you will find it hard to go out for pizza
    I find it hard to go out for almost anything I can make at home ;)
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Sounds like a solid plan. A couple of other pointers on the Publix dough.  Let it sit out an hour or so before you start stretching it.  Otherwise it will be a PITA to work with.  Also the dough rises a lot. This was one of my first pizzas using the dough (a reuben pizza). It was thicker than I anticipated. 

...damn it was good though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• How many pizzas would you recommend for 1 ball of dough
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    How many pizzas would you recommend for 1 ball of dough
    I would guesstimate you could get two 12-13 inch pizzas from one ball with a thinner crust. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    YEMTrey said:

That pic is of a pizza on top of a stone on the upper level of an XL AR.  I wanted to get the pizza as high in the dome as I could.  Turned out fantastic.

Did you use a platesetter or another stone under the top stone? Just curious as to your set up.

XL BGE
    MD
  • First one is on
  • Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner