Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hecho in Cuba

Options
Kirkland, TN
2 LBGE, 1 MM

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    My order is supposed to be here Wednesday. "
    Let us know what you think
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    interested to know how it burns, my local ace may start carrying it soon
    LBGE circa 2016
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Full evaluation please.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Will be doing first cook with it today and let you know how it went.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I'll be staying tuned as well, looking forward to seeing what the results are!
    LBGE
    AL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very interested... let us know
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • The_Stache
    Options
    First steps first... As expected being from FOGO, the chunks are LARGE!  Very few small bits and very little dust.  I'll have to break chunks to use in the MM but this will work great in the Large!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Where are you getting this stuff?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The_Stache
    Options
    Where are you getting this stuff?
    FOGO Charcoal HERE

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    They said it was hard to light . Did you find that?
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    They said it was hard to light . Did you find that?
    Next... Lighting

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Options
    So, I'm pretty old school when it comes to starting lump

Normally, with all other lump other than Humphrey's (which is also a slow starter), 2 sheets of newspaper and about 10 - 12 minutes and the party begins!

With this lump it ended up being 2 rounds of 2 sheets of newspaper and a total of 17 minutes before I dumped into the MM.  The lump was "acceptably" lit at that point but I probably could have let it go 3 or so minutes longer to get a "REALLY lit" batch.

Nasal notes of very little smoke produced is "Hmmm, interesting!"  My spousal unit (Pocahontas Goldstein, Middle TN's only Native American Jewish Princess) called the smell "Sweet" and she really liked it.  I'm going with the like and sweet part but I really can't describe the smoke.. Somewhere between sassafras and very mild sage with a hint of "je ne sais quoi" that is a bit minty.  Sweet and clean!!!

Next episode to follow... MM temp ramp....

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Looking forward to this. I have three bags in my garage, but wasn't about to risk using them for the first time on the SRF brisket that I'm cooking.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • The_Stache
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, it took about 15 minutes to get the MM to 400 wide open.  For me... that's actually about normal... My large heats up much faster and hotter... so, this afternoon will be a cook on the Large to see how the heat goes.

In the meantime, watching the ability to maintain a temp on the MM and see how long it burns.

I'll be eating my first cook with the Cuban Lump 

Hebrew National All Beef with Dijon, Catsup and Gator Pickle relish!

Breakfast of Champions and Flatulators!

I'll follow up this afternoon with the Large cook!

One other quick comment... It may be my imagination but I do detect a hint of a "new" flavor of smoke.  (Sweet, etc as described earlier).  I'll have a better idea this afternoon when I cook thighs!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    I am thinking your description of the " smoke"
    this may be perfect for the leg of lamb I am planning for next weekend.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    I am thinking your description of the " smoke"
    this may be perfect for the leg of lamb I am planning for next weekend.
    I was thinking the same thing!!!  It's very subtle but it's there!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A brief followup post to yesterdays first "shot" with Marabu' lump on the MiniMax.  I set the vent opening to what normally would be 325-350 on the MM.  With that opening the MM maintained 400-425 temps for about an hour and a half without issue.   I decided to "press the envelope" and opened the vent fully at which time the MM temp crept up to 550-575 pretty readily.  This is somewhat abnormal behavior based on the amount of lump I had in the MM normally I would have seen it slowly creep up slowly to ~500 and then fall off.

My takeaway from this is that it does burn hotter than other lump and it maintains a really great burn rate.

Last night I went to the large to cook some "cripy" chicken for dinner.

I lined the base of the Large with some large chunks for better airflow...

and based on earlier experience, I lit the chimney with 2 sets of newspaper, 2 sheets each, 1 after the other and let it come to life for about 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOq0PI8XSVM

You'll note a little popping but not real smoke....

Dumped into large (only filled up the lower ring area) and temp was at 375 in a matter of about 1 minute.  I shut the lower vent down to my normal 300 degree setting and the egg stabilized at 375 without issue. 

Cooked the chicken "as usual" (Salt, Garlic Powder, Baking Powder) no issues and I can't say I really noticed any different smoke flavors from this wood.  Basically normal.

My overall summary:

Lighting - Harder to light than most other brands of lump I have tried.  Note: I'm old school and use a chimney.  MAPP, Propane or other methods may provide a different result.

Heat - Burns hotter than any other lump brand I've tried.  Temp stability is good!

Burn Time - While my testing was based on a short term "get acquainted" process, I would expect this to burn as long or longer than most other lump.

Smoke - Less than other lump but in line with other premium lump.  Smoke does have a different odor that is not unpleasant kind of a Sassafras, Minty, Clean smell.

I like it!   Is it my favorite?  If anyone has any Ozark Oak just sitting around ... Let me know.  I would give this a strong "Learn some Cuban and have a great discussion on Marabu' wood while you're waiting for it to light.  Once it does, you may have to relearn your "normal" settings for temps while you're cooking with it!"

Just remember, you get what you paid for! (At least as far as my comments go!)

Cheers!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    Great report. Now I can't wait for my bag to get here.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    A brief addendum.... Last night in prepping for a "Tisserie" Chicken, I had plenty of Cuban lump left in the grill to be able to reuse from the day before.  This was my first experience with relighting and I had a modicum of hope that it would relight easier...

Well...

Nope, still took just as much time/newspaper to get things started the next time.

Allow extra time for startup! ;)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• setdahook
    Options
    Nice report curious on the amount of ash?
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    fed ex shows my order out for delivery today!!
  • Hntnhrd
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just got delivered!!!
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Just got delivered!!!
    Woohooo and you got a coaster!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Options
    setdahook said:
    Nice report curious on the amount of ash?
    I would say the ash was about "normal" compared to other Lump.  It was a finer ash than some I've seen but definitely not excessive!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    Getting ready for a cook tomorrow. Opened up my bag of Cuban Charcoal. I have only used royal oak lump and some local stuff made here in Montana. Holy moly the size and density of this stuff is amazing may have to cook a rack of ribs just to fire this stuff up. Also very little dust in the bag surprising for all the shipping involved and maybe 10% small pieces

• The_Stache
    Options
    Waiting to hear!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Getting ready for a cook tomorrow. Opened up my bag of Cuban Charcoal. I have only used royal oak lump and some local stuff made here in Montana. Holy moly the size and density of this stuff is amazing may have to cook a rack of ribs just to fire this stuff up. Also very little dust in the bag surprising for all the shipping involved and maybe 10% small pieces

AND YOU GOT A FREE YETI RAMBLER!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    That would be sweet. 
    I took more then one paper towel in oil to get this stuff started. But I find a very neutral smell. And does burn a little hotter. Typical settings for 250 are running about 300. Just threw on a rack of ribs with some hardcore red on them so we shal see how it cooks. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    This does burn a little hotter then the other lumps I have used but I really like it. Ribs were done a little flicker then usual. I like to pull pork ribs just as the bones start to peek out.
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Just finished up the bag. Hard to get going but I started mixing it with royal oak. It does have a much longer burn time then RO. I don't have experience with anything but RO or charbroil center cut. Debating on trying it again . anyone else that used it what was your impression ??