Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL or L & MM?

Good Evening,

I'm looking at a few options, and wondering if anyone has (or has contemplated) the following set up: BGE XL or a Large and Mini-Max?

I'd say 80% of my cooks are for a family of 4 (albeit 2 growing boys). We normally do 5-6 burgers, 3-4 steaks, 3-4 chicken breasts. I'd say maybe once every 6-8 weeks we'll have folks over and do steaks, burgers, or I'll smoke a pork butt or do 3-4 racks of ribs. Maybe once or twice a year, we'd have a larger crowd.

I feel like the XL would just be overkill to mostly do burgers/chicken/steak. I have an Akorn JR (same size as MM) and have had no issues feeding my family w/ the above items (I also like how I use about 1lb of lump/cook). Quick to start up and get going.

On the Large, I believe I can do about 4 racks of ribs, 3-4 butts, a packer brisket & ribs if I'm using the Adjustable Rig. If I use that, plus a MM, it seems I could feel a fair amount of people--or worst case, I have to do multiple rounds or cook in advance.

My final constraint is that I move around every few years, so I need something portable, and smaller would probably be better since I never know how much porch space I'll have, if any. It may live in my garage and come out a few times a week to cook.

Thanks and sorry for the novel--just not sure which would be best!
Mike
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• Many here have the L and MM combo and love it. My MM lives in the garage and gets placed on my covered front porch in heavy rain or snow (I am in Canada and get lots of the white stuff!). Very happy with the versatility of this combination.

With respect to your comments about moving frequently - the L can be moved by one person alone fairly easily when disassembled. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I actually have all three, XL, L, and MM and I find that all three have their niche. The L will probably be fine for your family, but do you ever entertain? If so, give some serious thought to the XL - you will find that the extra real estate comes in handy more often than not. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    L and mini is nice combo 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    L and MM will serve 95% of your needs. Plus, you can't maintain 2 temps at once w/ an XL. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    I have a large and XL. I use my large 9 times out of 10 over my XL. My favorite combo would be XL and small if I had to pick two 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Large and a Minimax. I cook for a family of 3 but at least once a week have 8-12 mouths to feed and my Large almost always has enough room. 

I leaned toward a minimax a few times but never pulled the trigger. Spent the money on a Blackstone instead.

If you don't have one, it may be worth getting a Large and a Blackstone and waiting on the MM. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    L & MM work for us.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have the XL and the MM. Love them both, easily meets our needs, whether it just two of us or 12 of us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
     Has anyone compared the Blaze SS to these
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have an XL and L combo. I cook almost everyday on at least one of them. The XL I love for it's space. I find on the large there is no real cold area. The XL on the other hand lots of extra room for cold and hot areas. When I do brats and burgers. I do six burgers and ten brats. I get a good sear on the burgers then go to the cooler area while brats cook on hot. Just My two cents. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I really like the room of my XL. Especially when smoking. The MM is good for smaller cooks. I didn't really need it. But it's fun to cook on. I will sooner or later have a large also. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I have a LBGE and normally cook for 2-4, 90% of the time I am pleased with the amount of real estate it has! I've done a brisket and butt at the same time as well as 3 spatch chickens another time (we had 10 people over). There are times I wish I had an XL, but as others have said, I may go for the MM if I add another!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    GoldenQ said:
     Has anyone compared the Blaze SS to these
    I have been very interested in the Blaze Kamado.
    Last week I stopped into my local BGE dealer and they also had the Blaze in the showroom. I really liked it. The fit and finish were nearly perfect inside and out. The main cooking grate 20" makes it a little larger than the Large BGE and includes 2 cooking grates so you can cook at 2 different levels and the lower lump grate is also a thick stainless grate.
    The online videos showing it being shot with a gun, blown up and hit with a hammer are really stupid but it honestly looks like a great kamado.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I have an XL and MM. Love them both and use them both.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    I have an XL, wouldnt trade it for a L and MM or any other combination

If you cook for 4 or even for 1, you can use firebricks to divide the egg and only use charcoal on 1/2 the egg

but you can NEVER increase grid real estate if you have 15 people for burgers
  • I have a Large and a MiniMax. I am not happy with the poor control on the MiniMax. If I had to it  over I would go for the Kamado Joe Jr. or a BGE Small or Medium. The Kamado Joe Jr comes with a diffuser stone and is easier to reverse sear on.
  • It is also lighter than the MiniMax.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Get the XL to pair with the akorn jr and forget about the MM
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I am with @DoubleEgger, if you are happy with the Acorn Jr keep it and get an XL for those big parties.  I chose the XL,  because it was replacing my old gas grill and I wanted something that could put out a lot of food.  There is only three in my family eating each night I feel the XL is not to big for me.  I did buy a egg knock off called the Kahuna, but wish I would have saved my money.  It is about the size of the Mini, but it takes about as long to get to temp as the XL does.  It does use a little less lump, but not much.  I haven't used in a long time. 

I would like to get a Medium or Large to go along with my XL, but for now I use my WSM when I have do bigger cook then my XL can handle and that has happen more then once or twice.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    edited January 2017
    Thanks all for the great feedbck! Doesn't make my decision any easier, but good stuff to think about. I may consider @Ladeback69 and @Doubleegger suggestion and go XL and keep the Akorn (it actually works really well--esp for just grilling/searing). When the Akorn Jr craps the bed...the major XL purchase may be in the rear view enough to justify another Egg to the wife! 

Again, thanks! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    for what you want to do the large is fine. with an adjustable rig added in you can feed pulled pork to a crowd of 60 to 70 folks with a large
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    for what you want to do the large is fine. with an adjustable rig added in you can feed pulled pork to a crowd of 60 to 70 folks with a large
    By the time you buy an AR, you've spent half of the difference between the L and the XL.  The AR is for folks who didn't buy the XL the first go around  ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    By the time you buy an AR, you've spent half of the difference between the L and the XL.  The AR is for folks who didn't buy the XL the first go around  ;)
    if i had an xl, then i would be buying an xl woo rig combo ;) and seeing if i could feed 200 folks with pulled pork. its wicked overkill =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    if i had an xl, then i would be buying an xl woo rig combo ;) and seeing if i could feed 200 folks with pulled pork. its wicked overkill =)
    In full disclosure, I have the AR for my XL. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have a Large and a Kamado Joe Jr.  Any more, the KJ does the vast majority of our cooks (just two of us) like tonight's pork chops, but we still get good use from the Large.  Good combination and love them both.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DoubleEgger
    jaydub58 said:
    I have a Large and a Kamado Joe Jr.  Any more, the KJ does the vast majority of our cooks (just two of us) like tonight's pork chops, but we still get good use from the Large.  Good combination and love them both.
    did they ever put a screen on the lower vent of the Jr? That was a deal breaker for me when I looked at one early last year. 
  • i am thinking you could quite a bit of food on a large and a MM. However, you can cook an exceptionally large cut or a huge turkey on an XL. If you ever entertain the idea of cooking large cuts I'd go XL. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    how about all three???   I have an XL, sometimes I think I want something smaller for, say a couple of burgers or dogs. Or just an XL. Go big or stay home.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    jaydub58 said:
    did they ever put a screen on the lower vent of the Jr? That was a deal breaker for me when I looked at one early last year. 
    I will double check tonight, but I think the screen for my small also fits my KJ jr. I did buy an extra one from my dealer for my older Small and it was less than 15 bucks out the door. The screen was not an option on my first 3 Eggs but I did add them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I have the equivalent of the large (a KJ Classic) and a medium egg.  That's a very nice combination and plenty of space for your family.  You can cook small meals on the medium. It has great temperature control and very efficient use of charcoal.  And you can do large cooks.  With extenders, I was able to cook six racks of ribs on the medium and KJ combined.  A good thing about two eggs is that you can cook foods at different temperatures.  I would also recommend that you get half moon baking stones, so that you can cook direct and indirect at the same time, or that you can reverse sear - cook (say) a steak indirect and then move it over to the direct side for a final searing.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)