Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooler question

Options
 Anyone use one of those yeti hopper's to store their food in after they cook it? 

I've come across a really good deal on a yeti hopper size 30 but before I spend the money just wanted to get opinions if anybody has use these for that particular situation. 
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Many of us use coolers (Yeti's included) to store food post cook.

Is your question about the safety? Or the Capacity?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Probably because it's insulated.
    Options
    bison coolers has a more cost effective alternative. Rtic's soft cooler would be nice too with the wide lid
    Pratt, KS
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Regarding post cook.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Regarding post cook.
    I do not understand the question.  Yes, you can put food in it.  No, it will not stay hot indefinitely.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Just as you need to pre-cool one of these for optimum ice retention, you would need to pre-heat one with hot water for maximum heat retention. Of course foil and towel would work for a few hours just like ftc in a hard body cooler. I wouldn't keep food above 140* for a long period of time pre-heated or not.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
     Anyone use one of those yeti hopper's to store their food in after they cook it? 

I've come across a really good deal on a yeti hopper size 30 but before I spend the money just wanted to get opinions if anybody has use these for that particular situation. 
    Yah the hopper worked for me for a brisket and butt it held strong for about 4 hours.  I haven't tried to hold anything in it longer then that. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I use uhaul moving blankets instead of a cooler
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I have a hopper 20 that I use more than any of my other coolers. I have not tested the heat retention but use it to store and transport food cold. I have used it on 3 day camping trips etc... if you use an ice pack and pack it full of food/drinks and ice (equal parts) mine has gone about 3 days without having to add ice. It really depends on what you put in it. We've pre-cooked lunches for days spent out on the water but they were eaten cold. Not sure this helps...
    LBGE
    AL
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Sorry, guess I should have been more clear. In regards to using the Hopper for FTC (Foil Towel Cooler) to help the meat retain some of it temperature like you would do in a regular cooler. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Yes.  I have used my Polar Bear Soft cooler, my Yeti 65 hard cooler and other cheaper coolers depending on the amount of meat and how long I need to hold it.  They all work fine - especially if you put a hot moist towel in the bottom and a dry towel or two on top.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     What exactly does the hot moist towel on the bottom do ?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The one feature that keeps hot stuff hot in any cambro or cooler is an air-tight seal.  The hopper and any cooler with a rubber seal on the lid is suitable.
    Options
     What exactly does the hot moist towel on the bottom do ?
    Prewarms the cooler. 

Probably more important in the heavier, higher end coolers. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

Well I bit the bullet got the size 30 brand-new, tags are still on the hopper for $175
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I was at a Field and Stream store today and saw a YETI soft side that was a knock of of the RTIC soft side.  Should have taken a picture. The zippered top has been changed, probably in response the difficulty some have of loading and unloading items. Was about $125 more than you paid though. Just found it to be ironic after some of the posts from a year ago ragging on RTIC copying YETI. :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida Nice score on the new cooler! Due to the zipper design, I've found it's easiest to put the bag of ice into the cooler then opening the bag and letting the ice fall out as you remove the bag itself. I also like to drop a silica gel pack in while storing to prevent any mold. For whatever that's worth.
    LBGE
    AL
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida instead of me posting a new thread, I searched and found yours. Did you ever buy the Yeti soft cooler? If so, how well does it work to hold meat a la FTC?

I'm looking at a Yeti hard cooler, soft, or $20 Walmart version. Mostly want it for cold; sometimes to throw a pork butt in there post cook to take to a potluck, etc. 

But if im really honest with myself, just looking for a reason to spend money. LOL. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have several coolers. The softside 30 sees a lot of action for us. We travel frequently, and use it as a carryon bag, which can store a tremendous amount.

You could almost put your post cooks in just about anything and get a couple hours of staying hot, after a foil or butcher paper wrap and toweles. There is no reason you could not use it. I do think there are better options, personally.

@nolaegghead is correct. The enemy to sustained temperature, cold or hot, is air transfer. Having the seals helps keeping that from happening. Also filling up the additional space to minimize air getting in or out is key. Obviously, the fewer times you open your cooler the better off you are.

We have kept ice in the soft side easily for 3 days, in our 65s, we have done it with food, for ten days in an out and back camping trip with no problem, and could have gone longer.

We used the 65s this year for transporting bourbon slushies, and the slushies actually froze several bottles of water, solid, during the drive from Louisville to Salisbury, North Carolina for BB3.

You will enjoy your Yeti. I might suggest you get the sidekicks. They now have one that is waterproof, which we bought to go with the regular sidekick, which holds wallets, cell phones, electronics, wife stuff and other items. The waterproof option is pretty nice to have.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    I use the RTIC 30 soft cooler to store/transport butts.  Works nicely due to the flip top design.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options

I'm looking at a Yeti hard cooler, soft, or $20 Walmart version. Mostly want it for cold; sometimes to throw a pork butt in there post cook to take to a potluck, etc. 
    I have the Walmart Soft Cooler- used it all day yesterday and left in hot car.  Works great for day needs- never tried past that.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks all for the input, as always. I will take a look again at some of the options...leaning towards the hard Roadie or the Flip Top 18. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    An Engel 30 dry box/cooler would have been much cheaper. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.