Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Pork Chops are tougher than John Wayne

Options
I love pork chops, but every time I grill them they come out tough. I cooked some last night they tasted great, but they were like chewing the bottom of a boot. 

What am I doing wrong? 

I have tried them in different thicknesses from 1/2" to 1 1/4", and I still get varying degrees of toughness. I normally cook them direct around 400F give or take. 

I don't brine. I never have. I just salt and pepper them and cook them much like I would a steak. The only common denominator that comes to mind is I get them at the same grocery store. Living in the woods I don't have a lot to select from without a long drive. 

Maybe the quality is my problem. I would like some advice on what I may be doing wrong. If any of you can help I would appreciate it. I certainly can't cook these for company. : ( 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Normally when I do chops they turn out great, not tough. I cook them indirect around 350. I did some nice looking 1" thick chops last week and they were like shoe leather. I did nothing different than I usually do, I blame the Pig!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What internal temperature are you cooking them?
    I dry brine my chops for several hours before the cook.   Season chops and then cook @300ish direct until IT reads 130.  Pull and wait 5 minutes (temp will climb to about 140).  Also I cut my chops at least1.5 inches.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

is sous vide an option?
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think you might have stumbled on a crappy source of pork chop.

You can try cooking them slower (lower temp) and pulling at 130.
    Options
    pork chops won't be as tender as a filet.  I didn't know the FDA says 145 now, I still go to about 158 and they come out tasty.  

No filet tasty, but still tasty.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    blasting said:

is sous vide an option?
    I love to stick my pork in Sue Vide
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Totally agree with what's said above.  It's the IT.  Yours was too high.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    i'd change to 350ºF the temp, indirect and if you want you can sear a bit at the end for presentation

thicker chops are more likely to stay moist than thin ones
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    pork chops won't be as tender as a filet.  I didn't know the FDA says 145 now, I still go to about 158 and they come out tasty.  

No filet tasty, but still tasty.

Actually the USDA:

Cook all food to these minimum internal temperatures as measured with a food thermometer before removing food from the heat source. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook food to higher temperatures.

ProductMinimum Internal Temperature & Rest Time
    Beef, Pork, Veal & Lamb
    Steaks, chops, roasts
    145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Ground meats160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Ham, fresh or smoked (uncooked)145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Fully Cooked Ham
    (to reheat)
    Reheat cooked hams packaged in USDA-inspected plants to 140 °F (60 °C) and all others to 165 °F (73.9 °C).

ProductMinimum Internal Temperature
    All Poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, and wings, ground poultry, and stuffing)165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Eggs160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Fish & Shellfish145 °F (62.8 °C)
    Leftovers165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Casseroles165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    overcooking.

the temp you cook at is far less important than the temp you cook to.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Actually the USDA:

LOL, I knew that. Just got my .govs mixed up. At least I had the pork temp right!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options

375-400 raised direct and pull at 140.... always works for me
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Agree it might be your finish temp. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    Brining makes a huge difference...

edited January 2017
    Options
    Brining does make a big difference, and pulling at 140-145 is really crucial.  If you do have the desire to wade into the sous vide world you will (likely) never mess up a pork chop again....or pork loin, etc....and finish it on the Egg....
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    You ever tried reverse searing them? I do brine but have really enjoyed reverse searing them and have been pretty tender. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When they started advertising pork as the other white meat, it started becoming much leaner. I've read that pork is 25% leaner than it was 25 years ago.
    To me, this has resulted in pork being much tougher on the grill. Not overcooking can help mitigate this situation.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

375-400 raised direct and pull at 140.... always works for me
    This right here is how I do it. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Reverse sear or indirect the whole time with no sear. I usually cook mine indirect around 300-325 to an internal of 150ish and get juicy tender meat that way

if they're a 1/2 inch id pass on those :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Lots of info here. Try the brine for at least 4 hours for a 1.5" center cut chop. Reverse sear at lowest temp you can get until IT is 130º, pull and hold until egg is hot to sear or use a CI pan. Sous vide makes the best chop if it is an option, give the egg the day off. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I agree with @paqman above on brining. My wife and I disliked until I started brining. Now we love them. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I brine and tenderize. My brine is 3 cups of water 1/4 cup of salt, 1/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar. Place water in pot to boil add salt and brown sugar, stir until dissolved, cool to room (ambient) temperature, place chops in a sealable bag for a few hours (4 or more). Season as you prefer. Raised direct at 350F ish, until desired IT.
    Does not suck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I saved this from a @hapster post:

550 direct 

The thick chops were around 8min a side, turning and flipping every 2 minutes... Pulled them off around 148° IT they were super juicy, could have sworn I was eating steak

New Albany, Ohio 

• PirateBill
    Options
    Dang @nolaegghead don't know why but I'm liking the new avatar.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thin chops cook quick, ive been freezing them first to slow that down. low 130's internal then pull. i guess you only need to hit 145 if your cooking it, its eaten raw in some countries =)

i also like bbq chops sauced and cooked hot for some charring

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUpload4020b3e003efadf2454afcaa5efed7cbjpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies guys. I got tied up right after I posted this yesterday, and I am just now able to see your replies. 

I should have mentioned in my original post that I am pulling them at around 145 internal. 

They are always tough even at that temp. I think I need to try some purchased at a different store to see if possibly the meat is the problem. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies guys. I got tied up right after I posted this yesterday, and I am just now able to see your replies. 

I should have mentioned in my original post that I am pulling them at around 145 internal. 

They are always tough even at that temp. I think I need to try some purchased at a different store to see if possibly the meat is the problem. 
    once it reads 140 while on the grill its drying out fast, you need to take it off earlier. google german mett and you will see it eaten raw at room temp if pulling at 135 scares you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I will pull it at an earlier temp. I will have to tell my wife I pulled it at 190. She is scared to death of under cooked pork.