Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a Looftlighter today.

Options
EOM
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They're great.  Just don't hold it too close to the coals - the metal can get hot enough to melt.  No bueno.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Now you got me nervous Johnny.  I may need to take a tutorial on it.  I had a friend bring one over this weekend, and I thought it seemed to work best when buried in the coals about an inch deep.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    "I thought it seemed to work best when buried in the coals about an inch deep." 
    That's what she said.
    Haha
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Now you got me nervous Johnny.  I may need to take a tutorial on it.  I had a friend bring one over this weekend, and I thought it seemed to work best when buried in the coals about an inch deep.
    You really don't need to hold it that close.  Just hold it an inch off the surface and watch - they'll heat up plenty fast.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Thanks John.  I'll try it tomorrow.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    When the charcoal starts to give off sparks, back it away a few inches and use it to blow are onto the fire. I start the fire in two places in my medium.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have the BGE version of this. Instructions say to make contact WITH lump for about a minute, then pull back slightly. About two minutes in this mode, then switch to the blower.

10 minutes and I'm up and running. Love this gizmo.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • thetrim
    Options
    It seemed to work best for me when I buried it in until I saw some sparks then I'd back it out and hold it 6-8 inches above and blow on it... Then it went into full inferno mode!!!

That thing is cool!!!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Yea man, I burry just the tip in... and when it starts to spark good I pull out and just blow on it from about 4-6 inches away (personal preference). After 20-30 seconds it's a wild blaze and I just keep it there until I can't take it any longer. 

XLBGE 
  • thetrim
    Options
    This discussion is totally inappropriate!  My mind is in a Bourbon Street gutter!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Hay now, don't ask for advise if you can't handle it. 

XLBGE 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I like my Looft, never had a meltdown.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I am going to look into the looftlighter if my Wagner heat gun ever burns out.  I have tried a lot of methods to start the fire, but heat+air seems to be the quickest to ready-to-cook.  Even with the heat gun, there is a cook ready fire in 5-7 minutes.  A purpose built device could be even more effective.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think it's a great tool if you have an outlet close to your Egg.  Probably not as fast or easy as a weed burner, but then you never have to buy fuel or worry about running out.   To each his own.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I think it's a great tool if you have an outlet close to your Egg.  Probably not as fast or easy as a weed burner, but then you never have to buy fuel or worry about running out.   To each his own.
    Definitely not as fast or easy as weed burner (as I own both).  Plus the deadman switch is a hassle to hold down for the entire time.  It looks cool, but the weed burner is much faster. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com