Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look out BGE! PK360

Options
2»

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The original PG is among the best "grills" I've ever used. Maybe the best. But it's that to me. A grill. Not a smoker/oven.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The original PG is among the best "grills" I've ever used. Maybe the best. But it's that to me. A grill. Not a smoker/oven.
    Why couldn't you snake in it?

The guy that won the championship steak cookoffs tossed a split on the side in the vid. Plenty of distance from the heat/fire, great smoke.

Wonder if you could treat it like a WFO with the fire on one end, to arc over with the multiple vent settings?  The cast Al would help out.

I agree, the eggs to me, are a good grill.  Not a good smoker.

If I pulled an Airstream, I would've already pulled the trigger.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Pretty cool. Vintage. But ugly.

XLBGE 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    They look pretty cool . I'm sure they're Tuff. But too pricey. I'd probably rather save some money and get a 26" Weber. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    texaswig said:
    They look pretty cool . I'm sure they're Tuff. But too pricey. I'd probably rather save some money and get a 26" Weber. 
    Know where we could find a deal?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Beauty is subjective......
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,262
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Interesting that the video takes lengths to point out the Grilla's .02" grill grate bar diameter advantage but goes on to state that both kamados' ceramic walls are "about an inch thick" (as if there is no need for specificity in this regard) - leads me to believe, perhaps even erroneously, that the BGE has an advantage here. 

Also, somewhat disingenuous to compare the grilling areas using the Grilla's two tiers vs. the BGE's one - this so-called advantage would not be a factor for direct grilling and would easily be nullified using even a cheap DIY second tier for the BGE. Grilla is really providing an accessory, not providing you with a grill that is advantageous when it comes to real estate. Also, since when does "about 329 on the bottom and an extra 300 on top" combine to make up the stated 643 square inches? The grill may very well total 643, but if so, this hasn't been explained adequately. 

Additionally, on assembly times, is it not ludicrous to comprare the speed with which one can assemble one's own product with that of one's assembly of a foreign product? This was simply gratuitous. 

Not knocking Grilla's product at all (as I have no experience), but if you are going to compare specs, set out what It is that is being compared and provide the facts.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @theyolksonyou if I find one fur cheap I'll be getting one. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Focker said:
    Why couldn't you snake in it?

The guy that won the championship steak cookoffs tossed a split on the side in the vid. Plenty of distance from the heat/fire, great smoke.

Wonder if you could treat it like a WFO with the fire on one end, to arc over with the multiple vent settings?  The cast Al would help out.

I agree, the eggs to me, are a good grill.  Not a good smoker.

If I pulled an Airstream, I would've already pulled the trigger.

Personally, I've always gotten an off flavor when trying snake smokes. I know lots of people have success with it. I just never have figured it out.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    All righty -  In addition to @The Cen-Tex Smoker and his weight loss program I am embarking on becoming nuanced with my life choices.  Of course with my accumulated laps of the sun the nuancing may be a bit on the coarse side.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Love my PK!  Good grill that I use here and there.  Shuts down like the egg, so I can reuse fuel.  It's not insulated like eggs, but it's not affected by the elements like a Weber is.  Also haven't had any issues using lump, so I don't see me burning through the bottom anytime soon.

I also like the old school look and enjoy the length for 2 zone cooking.  The 360 looks aight, but I think it's a lil overpriced.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Love my PK!  Good grill that I use here and there.  Shuts down like the egg, so I can reuse fuel.  It's not insulated like eggs, but it's not affected by the elements like a Weber is.  Also haven't had any issues using lump, so I don't see me burning through the bottom anytime soon.

I also like the old school look and enjoy the length for 2 zone cooking.  The 360 looks aight, but I think it's a lil overpriced.

look's like your PK is holding up well. I'm still fighting cooking grid rust on mine. But I do really like the PK, It's a fine grill.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I guess they feel like if they compare it to a Kamado and include some cheezy side shelves it will sell for top dollar.    
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I guess I should come clean and let y'all know this thread was just a ploy to see if our boy Carl was still lurking. #cabinetsmokersareforweenies.  =)
    I do check in from time to time!   ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....