Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A better rub for Beef Chuck Short Ribs

In the November issue of Texas Monthly, Ronnie Killen from Killen's BBQ in Pearland shared his approach with Beef Plate Short Ribs/Beef Chuck Short Ribs.  These monsters (4 bones worth clocking in at 5 lbs) are what he recommends newbies smoke before tackling a brisket.  I followed his advice.  I picked up a rack from Granzin's Meat Market in New Braunfels.  I smoked them on New Year's Day and went 5 1/2 hours at 290 indirect.  I did one part Kosher Salt, 9 parts black pepper.  The ribs were amazing.  But they were too "briskety" thanks to the pepper.  Does that make sense?  I love the simplicity of Louie Mueller's approach to brisket.  But I'm looking for something else that may take away the overpowering of the pepper and maybe sweeten them up.  Any suggestions?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited January 2017

The ribs look to be cooked perfectly.  well done

As for the seasoning, a 9:1 salt to pepper ratio seems high for my tastes.  just change the ratio.  Aaron Franklin's recipe is a 1:1 ratio.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Hard to beat Montreal steak seasoning for beef.  I use it on short ribs and like it a lot.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Another vote for Montreal steak seasoning-@scdaf got there first.  I also use worcestershire for a binder.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dizzy Pig Cow Lick is my favorite for beef if I'm not doing S&P. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Dude! I just found that Texas Monthly article and read it. Killen calls for a 3:1 ratio of black pepper to kosher salt, not 9:1. No wonder it was too peppery ;-)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Use whatever tastes good to you. No need to be tied down to one thing either. I enjoy changing up the flavor profiles on many different cooks with different rubs or sauces. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Big cuts of beef I follow Malcolm Reed's(How To BBQ Right) formula. Multiple layers. First layer a fine grind SPG or similar. Personally I add onion powder to this layer. Second layer a standard paprika/pepper bbq rub combo. These two layers go on fat side and meat side. I smoke fat down on a LBGE so bottom heat source. My thoughts are the fat helps protect the meat from drying out and the great bark on the top meat side will not get ruined by any sticking to the grates. That top side gets a topping of Montreal Steak Seasoning. That course grind adds something amazing to the bark.

On my "showoff" cooks I also use some celary salt prior to the SPG(or have it mixed in) as this enhances the pretty smoke ring.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    SevenOaks said:
    Dude! I just found that Texas Monthly article and read it. Killen calls for a 3:1 ratio of black pepper to kosher salt, not 9:1. No wonder it was too peppery ;-)
    When I saw the 9:1 ratio, I thought he was referring to the Louie Mueller approach. That's what Wayne Mueller uses for brisket - I have no idea about his short ribs. And Louie Mueller's brisket is hands down the best I've ever had (but you'd better like black pepper :) ). Now I'm sort of intrigued about the 3:1 ratio. May try that next time I do beef ribs (probably next weekend).
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    2parts s n p. 1 part garlic powder 1 part onion powder pinch of cayenne 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GQuiz
    I did the Mueller approach. Honestly, the next time will come down to a coin flip between the Cow Lick and the Montreal. The ribs were so easy, I'll get many opportunities to test many approaches.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @CtTOPGUN advice seems solid. Sounds like someone that knows what's going on. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • I'm no expert on this but for beef I do a "Montreal"

salt
    pepper
    course sea salt
    garlic
    basil
    parlsey
    cayanne 

I love it. 

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    GQuiz said:
    I did the Mueller approach. Honestly, the next time will come down to a coin flip between the Cow Lick and the Montreal. The ribs were so easy, I'll get many opportunities to test many approaches.

Those options will serve you well.  Since you're in Schertz, another good option is to drive to Bolner's Meat Market in South San Antonio where you can get similar ribs, but when they cut them for you, they will offer to apply one of their in-house (Fiesta Brand) rubs before they even wrap them up.  You could have them use their Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning (like Montreal but just a little less peppery).   It's almost too easy.

Or you can just buy that seasoning in your regular store.  But I always look for an excuse to go to Bolner's just for the experience.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    There's a lot of good advise already, so I'll just say that even though your rib pictures don't look too peppery, they do look amazing.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GQuiz
    @Foghorn, I've been to Bolner's... Cool little place. Their fajita pinwheels are stuffed with bacon. When downtown, I look for an excuse to visit. I have a quart of Uncle Chris' in my pantry. Beauty of the visit there, spices in bulk. 
    But if you ever find yourself venturing up I-35, give Granzin's a peek. I've stepped off the glass cases... 40 paces worth. I can never leave with one pack.  Their premarinated chicken breasts are pretty spectacular.  Each breast averages 18-20 ounces. The building is surrounded by Bluebonnet Ford, literally. Give it a try.

• GQuiz
    For those without access to Texas Monthly...  This was the reason I tried it.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    I use Instant Gourmet  "awake-a -steak" on short ribs every time. It's perfect for them.  Can't say enough good things about it. Picked one up at a Fresh market. Went back and couldn't find it so I went online and ordered 4 of them. Gave one to my friend and now he's hooked. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic