Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is using the Flameboss cheating?

Options
I've had my egg for 7 years now and enjoyed every minute of it.  But after years of doing 16-18 hour cooks all through the night, having to wake up multiple times to check on/adjust fire, I have started to think about getting a flameboss.  My question that I'm struggling with is:  Isn't there a rite of passage/badge of honor associated with manning the fire and controlling yourself, or should I just get over this and appreciate a good night's rest?  I always give my buddy who has a electric smoker a hard time about how easy that is, but essentially isn't that what I'd be doing?

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have had my egg for 11 years now and finally got tired of monitoring the egg for overnight cooks. Just got a flame boss and am not looking back. I need my sleep.....Go for it!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I have had my egg for 11 years now and finally got tired of monitoring the egg for overnight cooks. Just got a flame boss and am not looking back. I need my sleep.....Go for it!
    Are you sure in your case its not laziness? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    We all started to cheat when we bought the egg.  =)
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Sleep, peace of mind, freedom > rite of passage/badge of honor

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I tried a controller - it took some of the fun out of it for me, so I got rid of it.

My experience is different than most, and I understand why many get a controller - it simply wasn't for me.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I used to be obsessed all night checking the egg throughout the night only to find it was always spot on....not I obsess all night looking @ useless data from my controller
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I don't have a FB, but have had and used a BBQ Guru for some 16 years. Though I seldom do overnighters anymore since switching to turbo butts I do count on my guru to baby sit. What I mean is like for turkeys and hams when we are busy doing other things or entertaining I like to just trust my Guru to baby sit my egg. I don't call that cheating anymore than using cruise control when traveling! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I think it's cheating.

I want one.  I don't want it bad enough to spend the money yet though.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure 100 years ago a similar discussion was going on. I feel like I'm cheating on my horse by using the horseless carriage automobile.lol 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't have a controller yet, but probably will at some point. There is great satisfaction in pulling off an over nighter without the help, but it seems pointless to suggest it's somehow cheating to use a blower. I say quit badgering your buddy and bite the bullet yourself.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Are you sure in your case its not laziness? 
    What's your point???

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i don't understand needing to get up in the middle of the night to check the BGE, honestly.

but there was a time that the daisy wheel was considered cheating.  the real tough guys just angled the ceramic cap on the thing and used the lower vent.

personally, i honestly believe i see just as many "my fire went out" posts as i do those that say "my powered draft thingey isn't working".

if you like electronics and stuff, why not. but realize that it isn't a *need*.  the BGE's selling point for me was not needing to monitor it, and i haven't ever had to.  i bought mine before the advent of these electronic controlled fan units though.  back when the BGE was seen as perfectly controllable via the vents (as opposed to other, usually metal, smokers), so i learned that way.  no other option.

some will say they prefer "having peace of mind", but that refers only to their peace of mind.  it implies we don't have peace of mind (those who use the vents alone). but mine is fine.  i think 15+ years and i had one fire go out.  a flameboss (or other) wouldn't have helped it.

doesn't make a person more or less manly though, if that's the question. 
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    if you're not cheating, you're not  trying.
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited January 2017
    Options
    acting dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage

What is your purpose of cooking on the egg?  Trying to get bragging rights over your buddies? Are you pretending that you have returned to some primitive form of cooking and have mastered fire to create amazing food?  Is measuring internal temps with a Thermapen cheating?  How about using propane torches to light a fire instead of rubbing sticks together?  

I haven't seen the BGE Rule Book that defines what is allowed and what is not.  Use your egg the way you want to produce the food you want.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If it's cheating, so is using the cruise control on your car, using a copy machine, or having a smart phone vs. a flip phone.  It's technology......you can spend your money on it and make life easier, even though you don't need it. 

I egged for 10 yrs without one, then have had one for the last 10 yrs.  I can get my BGE setup pretty well, but there it always one uncontrollable factor that can bite you.....wind.  I lost a few pork butts and a brisket overnight, and the cost of those (and the more expensive quick food to replace them at the parties), was more than enough to pay for a controller.  And it's not like I was lazy and not checking, I was working 12hr night shifts which typically turned into 14-16hr.  I would set the Egg up right before I left, then when I got home everything was usually close to finished.  No brainer to buy a controller and not have to worry.

For the folks that say it's too expensive......you bought a BGE when you could have bought a Weber.  If you want one, if you can afford, if it will make your life easier, BUY IT and be happy.  Don't worry about what other people think.  No different than getting the extra options on your vehicle--get the seat warmers if your azz is worth it!
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options

For the folks that say it's too expensive......you bought a BGE when you could have bought a Weber.  
    Not me, I bought a house that came with a BGE.  But whenever we move I'm taking the Egg with me.  So you could say I bought a crazy over-priced BGE but got a free house with it.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I agree. Like they say in Nascar, "If you ain't cheating you're not trying hard enough". 

Hell, most hardcore bbq nuts say that Big Green Egg grills are cheating.

Cheat to win!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Hell, most hardcore bbq nuts say that Big Green Egg grills are cheating.

Exactly. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cheating who, exactly? I do pizza in my oven. have for over three years now. is that cheating? will others scoff? i couldn't care less. pizza's just as good.

i have a Guru and it works great, but if i had known how infrequently i'd use it, i wouldn't have wasted the money. now that I've tried a few turbo cooks, overnighters are a thing of the past anyway. no controller needed.

do whatever floats your boat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Unlike all you tough guys, when I got my egg (as a gift, with no advance warning) it was a bit intimidating for someone who'd grilled (not bbq'd) on a weber gasser or kettle all his life.  As part of the journey, I thought it was important to learn to do certain things to the best of my ability, and with as few "crutches" as possible.  So I found the forum, read and researched, watched youtube and dove in feet first to what has turned out to be the best hobby of all time.  That meant I lit the fire with the starter cubes that came with the egg before soaking napkins in oil before getting a bernzomatic (which I avoided for a long time thinking it was cheating and I was in it for "the process").  I also experimented with airflow top and bottom to learn to find and hold at various temps in all sorts of weather conditions and for all sorts of cooks.  I built a home-brewed raised grid rather than buy an AR or woo.  And along the way I came to appreciate that there's really no mastering of the art (at least not for me)  -- there's just continued learning and tweaking and experimenting, which is what I'm in it for.  

I don't have a flameboss.  When a buddy of mine (who got a gift of an egg after enjoying some of my cooks) got his, I was all over him about cheating -- all in good sport, of course.  That said, it's been a while since I've had a fire crap out on me on an overnight cook and it sure would be nice to use the available technology to get me a better night's sleep.  Or to eliminate the anxiety when I wake up wondering if my SRF brisket is too hot, too cold or just right.  I'm not "giving in" quite so yet, but based on my buddy's results and what I keep reading here, I'm getting close.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The post by @HendersonTRKing reminds me of this: you should learn to control temps manually so you can understand what is happening and the effect air flow has on the temp. Once you do, then by all means use the FB for monitoring so you don't have to stay up all night.  But don't bypass learning and just plug in the FB from the start. If for no other reason than for the one day when you have a large group to cook for and the power goes out or your FB dies. 

PS - I realize that @cbmontgo has been doing this for years. My post is more for the newbies reading this.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    gmac said:
    Yes. If it has a cord it's cheating. In fact I now start my lump only with a magnifying glass and the rays of the sun. 

GAH! You have a magnifying glass! Man I really need to upgrade from the two sticks I rub together! ;)

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Went manual for the first ten years.  Had three burnouts, all three on the egg.

For an occasional butt or brisket or two, manual is fine.

When you start adding 4 and 6 butts for each cook, that is a lot of meat to toss out $$$, and pressure last minute for special events I have done.  For those few times for shoulder overnighters, it is most definitely worth it.  For ribs, chuckies, it really isn't worth getting it out and running.

It is nice, no longer waking up in the middle of the night to check on things.  Fortunately, I was able to salvage all three lost fires.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I'm in the learn how it works then whatever after-market toys you want to use.  But if you are asking the question, then there may be some internal self-doubt ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Hmmm, didn't know it was a competition.  My goal at the end is good food.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    How is it cheating when good food is the end goal? You do what it takes to get there, and the Flame Boss is just another tool. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I say get it. When you have the desire to babysit it, and enjoy that process, as I have even done the same before in the short time I have had an Egg just for th efun of it, you always can.  And then when you need a good nights sleep, the weather sucks, you have a ton of people over, lots of things to do, whatever, you have the temp controller there for you to use.  Just cause you have it, does not mean you have to use it everytime you cook.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
     It's only cheating when there's a rule book. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cbmontgo,

While I agree that you should be able to control your temps manually, there is no "rite of passage", especially after 7 years with your Egg. You have already earned the badge. :)  I have a FB200 and I love it.........it's taken the worry from me about running a cook overnight or when I have lots of other things to do while I have a cook going.....and it rocks when it's freezing cold outside and I want limited exposure to it. @tikigriller said it perfectly. 

Buy one. You won't regret it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS