Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg or extra large egg that is the question.

Options
2»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I went from a 22 Weber to a Large Egg. 

Rarely cook for a crowd and have never thought, I wished a had the XL. 

I use the Egg 4-5 times per week. 

I' get a MiniMax if I were to buy a 2nd Egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I am a big Weber kettle fan, I have not abandoned them since buying my BGEs. The XL allows you to cook like a kettle if you want using zones. You can also cook down low in the fire ring using a lump reducer or a charcoal basket from Weber and cook smaller if you desire. I have not used my large egg since buying the XL. The large is a fine cooker, but the XL does more, and gives you more options. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I asked the same question on this forum 4 years ago. I am happy that I listed to the advise a bought an XL. I haven't regretted my decision!

I don't need all the room for many of my cooks, but I'm glad I have it when I need it. I don't think I use much more lump than I would with a large.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Outside of working logistics for lots of stuff to cook, the large is a work horse. Work in batches for fast cooks. 

Like mentioned, if you like to cook tons of shoulders or huge huge briskets then you get creative. 

I wouldnt kick an XL from the bed and I would get one, but I also have several friends who sold or moved their XL to the lake or mtn homes for entertaining and sporadic use, and replaced with larges and even a medium. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I use my large 9 times out of 10 over my XL for my wife and I. My perfect combo would be the small and XL. The XL is overkill most the time for my wife and I though.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Abarnette
    Options
    I went to the local dealer today and got the smokeware grate stacker that I was thinking about using to expand the abilities of the large egg. I was curious about the capabilities of it so I tested it on my weber. It was to tall to fully function but it seemed strong enough. I took a six quart Dutch oven and filled it with water. It was more than strong enough to fit the bill when it was positioned over the grate. When I pivoted it to the side it did fine until I brought it mostly around the back and the bottom grate didn't have enough weight to counter Balance. This is far more weight than I anticipated putting on this rack. So with the fact that will bring me close to the grate space of the XL and so many of you said the large is more than enough and all the suggestions of pairing it with smaller grills. I think my decision is made I am large bound. I am sure like so many of you it won't be my last. All that being said I am very impressed with how civil and helpful you ladies and gentlemen have been. So often the Internet has some unhappy campers. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I use my large 9 times out of 10 over my XL for my wife and I. My perfect combo would be the small and XL. The XL is overkill most the time for my wife and I though.
    The XL/Small combo is perfect. The Small gets most weeknight cooks, XL gets the nod on the weekend when feeding a crowd. That said, I started with the XL and I'm glad I did. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If I could only have one outdoor cooker, it would be an XL BGE. I hope that is never the case, but if it was, I know which one I would hang on to.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    L first, XL second, depends on your desires.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Abarnette said:
     often the Internet has some unhappy campers. 
    We have our moments :)

Btw, great choice (hard to go wrong with any of the mentioned choices, except @Focker s).  You will love it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Abarnette said:

Btw, great choice.  You will love it.
    You actually read the whole thread?  Wow!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Abarnette said:

Btw, great choice.  You will love it.
    You actually read the whole thread?  Wow!
    Turning over a new leaf :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 19Sunny45
    Options
    You said you usually cook for three. I usually cook for two, but sometimes cook for 6 or eight and on a rare occasion cook for 30. I have a Large BGE. You can expand it to whatever you need or need to cook with accessories from these folks https://ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I can say that I usually just cook for SWMBO and myself on my XL.  I absolutely love it.  Couldn't imagine having anything smaller.  I love having the room to cook for friends that come over during football season and summer pool parties.  I have the multi level grid as well which even gives me more room.  FWIW
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I would go large with an adj rig setup, two oval grids, spider and stone and add a rig extender with topper round grid for the extender.  Then, i would get the minimax

These two eggs with cgs setup will blow your mind in terms of capability
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I started with MM. Had some real estate problems with it so got an XL. Did not go for a large as platesetter seemed too small for indirect cooking.  Love both of my eggs. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I started with a large and added a mini max a few years later.  Knowing what I know now, I would go with XL and add a medium later.  To me, this would be the most versatile combo.  I personally have other smokers to use for high capacity cooks but if I didnt, the Large would cut me short lots of times even with the CGS adjustable rig and extender.  It all depends on the number of people you cook for and you'll certainly learn to make the best of whichever size you happen to have and you'll always want more.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Welcome.

I started with a large, soon needed a second large, and then added a minimax for short quick cooks. It's just me and the wife with occasional entertaining.

Love the flexibility of multiple eggs as it allows cooking things at different temps.

PS - to save you time, most of your upcoming questions have most likely been answered and debated at length before. As mentioned above, go to Google and type in your question and add site:eggheadforum.com at the end - you will find the right thread in no time.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Abarnette said:
    I went to the local dealer today and got the smokeware grate stacker that I was thinking about using to expand the abilities of the large egg. I was curious about the capabilities of it so I tested it on my weber. It was to tall to fully function but it seemed strong enough. I took a six quart Dutch oven and filled it with water. It was more than strong enough to fit the bill when it was positioned over the grate. When I pivoted it to the side it did fine until I brought it mostly around the back and the bottom grate didn't have enough weight to counter Balance. This is far more weight than I anticipated putting on this rack. So with the fact that will bring me close to the grate space of the XL and so many of you said the large is more than enough and all the suggestions of pairing it with smaller grills. I think my decision is made I am large bound. I am sure like so many of you it won't be my last. All that being said I am very impressed with how civil and helpful you ladies and gentlemen have been. So often the Internet has some unhappy campers. 
    Congratulations! Enjoy your new egg  

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Civil?  Me 
    ? No way!  Just ask my 12 year old!  
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I bought a large 6 or 7 years ago and during that period there have only been a couple of times where I really wished I had a larger cooking surface.  At the time it seemed kind of small compared to my gas grill and I thought maybe I should go for the extra large, the dealer asked me about my cooking habits and he said the large is the right size for me.  

I guess it depends on what you cook and how often you cook for large groups.  I really bought the egg for its low and slow abilities and though I would continue cooking steaks, burgers, sausage etc. on the gas grill but egg became my only bbq as soon as I got it, I gave the stainless grill to a neighbour that same summer.

I do have one of the thing-a-ma-jigs that gives you three levels I have only used two heights with it and only when cooking a lot of chicken legs.  Even folks that say that they prefer white meat said they where some of best chicken they have had.

Gerhard
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Whatever you do, keep the Weber kettle for extra grill space. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• eightyfive
    Options
    Got large. Added Minimax. Wish my L was an XL every time I have a big cookout. 
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Abarnette said:
    I am going to purchase an egg in the near future but I am on the fence about what size.  I currently cook on a weber with a 22 inch cooking surface.  My concern is I look to cook sides on the grill while cooking the meat.  I don't want to go to small but I also don't want to fire up a monster grill like the XL for everyday grilling. I also wonder about grate accessories that stretch your cooking surface.  Has anybody used the smokeware Stacked grill grates with the pivoting post?  It looks like a great option if it can carry a decent amount of weight and still function.
    I usually just cook for my Wife and I. Occasionally we will have friends over for Brisket, Ribs or Pork Butt.
    My reasoning for going with the XL was that I did not wanted to be able to cook a few slabs of ribs without having to cut the racks in have and use a rib rack. I also wanted to be able to cook a full packer brisket without having to drape it over a foiled brick or rack.
    The amount of lump you use would be the same regardless so it appears you need the extra space for sides.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I don't hear of many regrets on buying a Big Green Egg...not buying the bigger size is a common one though.  If the extra $$$ aren't a concern, go big.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Abarnette
    Abarnette Posts: 49
    Options
    I ended buying the XL and i love it thanks to everyone for their input  
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Way to go! Excellent choice, you won't be disappointed   
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Great choice. On the occasions you need to prep a lot of food, you will be glad you chose the XL. Not to say the large can't cook a lot at once, but the XL loves to be loaded. Check out @dldawes1 (150# of Turbo Butt on XL). It was most impressive. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    If it helps I use my mini egg 90% of the time while my large onlycomes out for parties usually