Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Shun Knives - Must have knives to start out

Options
Question for the group about starting a Shun knife set - I got an 8" Chef knife and a 7" Santoku knife for Christmas.  From what I know, these serve basically the same purpose.  I'm wondering if it makes sense to return one and swap it for a different type of knife?  I'd like something that's good for finely slicing steak, brisket, etc.

Curious as to what everyone uses and the types of knives you'd recommend starting with as I build out my set.  

Comments

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have both and like them I am still trying to up my knife skills by watching YouTube and practicing.  I enjoy using them both but the the 8 inch chef is SLIGHTLY more useful. 

A serrated bread knife knife is good for bread, brisket, and tomatoes.  

Some see the value in a paring knife, I don't. 

Learn proper care and use, including how to sharpen them.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I got the 6" nakiri and the 7" rocking knife for Christmas. The nakiri is great for a push cut. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    A breaqd knife for Brsiket?  Really?  Now that I think about it, it gets through the bark better than a sharp knife, yes?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A breaqd knife for Brsiket?  Really?  Now that I think about it, it gets through the bark better than a sharp knife, yes?
    Way better. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Yes. I don't have a slicer, the chef knife was ok.  The bread knife was perfect. 

• bigbadben
    Options

Dexter scalloped slicer with the plastic handle 
    is the brisket knife. $30 or somewhere close on Amazon. 
    I have the shun bread knife, and I just don't make brisket often enough.  
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bigbadben said:

Dexter scalloped slicer with the plastic handle 
    is the brisket knife. $30 or somewhere close on Amazon. 
    I have the shun bread knife, and I just don't make brisket often enough.  
    A scalloped knife is the best way to cut brisket by far. You just happen to have a fancy one. 

We only use our "brisket" knife to cut bread so we are right there with you. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I got the Shun 8" kiritsuki and 4" paring knife for Christmas and love them though they are pricey.  I'm trying to get japanese waterstone sharpening down.  Not going to touch those two yet, they're crazy sharp.  My next will probably be the nakari for veges.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The 6" chefs is my utility knife, and my son's knife.  We use it often.

The carving knife works great for trimming meat, breaking down, and even slicing rotisserie birds.  It's like a longer, more versatile, boning knife.

The Shun serrated is better than the Dexter, but it was twice as much too.  The Dexter is flimsy.  This heft is nice when working your way through crust.  With the thinner blades (also have a serrated Wusthof), you can feel them bend in your hand during use.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:

The carving knife works great for trimming meat, breaking down, and even slicing rotisserie birds.  It's like a longer, more versatile, boning knife.

The Shun serrated is better than the Dexter, but it was twice as much too.  The Dexter is flimsy.  This heft is nice when working your way through crust.  With the thinner blades (also have a serrated Wusthof), you can feel them bend in your hand during use.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but Not sure we are talking about the same dexter. The one I'm talking about is definitely not flimsy. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have some commercial kitchen  slicing knives in 10 and 13 inch versions, however, I really prefer my Shun 8 inch chefs knife. The wide blade with it's extremely thin and sharp edge gives a really nice slice. I also like my 6" chefs and my flexible Global boning knife. 
  • bigbadben
    Options
    logchief said:
    I got the Shun 8" kiritsuki and 4" paring knife for Christmas and love them though they are pricey.  I'm trying to get japanese waterstone sharpening down.  Not going to touch those two yet, they're crazy sharp.  My next will probably be the nakari for veges.
    I just sharpened my shuns with a $20 apex knockoff. Razor sharp!  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:

I don't really have a dog in this fight but Not sure we are talking about the same dexter. The one I'm talking about is definitely not flimsy. 
    This. Mine will only bend with a lot of force if you push the blade parallel to the board.
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I love the nakiri. If you just hold it up to an onion, the onion falls apart in fear. :-)
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    I have Shuns.  I love my 8 inch Chef, but my go-to has become the 6 inch utility.  It's got a thin blade with a long belly and a good tip.  I use it all the time for slicing, carving, deboning...basically anything that's not breaking apart big things.

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-utility-knife
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went in to buy the 6" boning knife which is great, walked out with it and a starter set.  Must have. Monday my Shun Western chef should arrive. It's supposedly a necessity for heavy rined fruits and cutting through bone. It's set at 22 deg instead of 16 deg and has a black band around the bolster to identify it. Might be worth looking into. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I love the nakiri. If you just hold it up to an onion, the onion falls apart in fear. :-)
    Yup. I chopped an onion with mine a few minutes ago. It's great for my style of cooking. We eat fresh vegetables with each meal. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If I only got 1 knife it would be a 10" chef. 8" chef would be my 2nd choice. 
  • HolySmoke
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone!