Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split your wings or leave them while ?

So what's your preference.    Split them or cut the tip off and leave em !?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I tend to leave my wings whole (flat and drummette and tip) while I grill them, less pieces to turn and then just separate the flat and drummy when they are done leaving the tip on.

I used to pre-cut them and save the tips saying to myself I would use them in making stock, but it just never seemed to happen.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Whole - too much work to split beforehand. Easier to do with my hands when eating (leave the tip on - works as a handle). Plus that delicious piece of skin between the two seems to get burned when splitting before cooking.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I split.  I end up with wing sauce all the way to my elbows otherwise.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I prefer mine fried and I take the tips off for stock and split them. If I were to grill I expect I would keep them whole. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I always split the dummies and flats plus never save the tips.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    I either buy them as party wings already cut into flats and drummettes, or buy them whole.  However I buy them, I tend to leave alone and grill.  When I do take the time, I usually remove the Tips so the wings lay flatter on the grid and take up less space so I can fit more on the top rack!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Same as @RRP.  Plus I usually use a different sauce for the drummettes and flappers.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    I have about 60 whole ones for new years day !
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I cut off the tips, leave the drummies and flats together to grill and then cut them apart before putting on the sauce. When I used to grill on the Weber I ran a skewer through the wing to straighten them out for more even cooking. That doesn't seem to be a problem on the egg.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • RRP
    I either buy them as party wings already cut into flats and drummettes, or buy them whole.  However I buy them, I tend to leave alone and grill.  When I do take the time, I usually remove the Tips so the wings lay flatter on the grid and take up less space so I can fit more on the top rack!
    You know if you just take the short amount of time to cut that skin flap between the drum and the flat then your wings are easier to eat and tear apart after cooking if that is the way you like to eat them. The other benefit with the flap cut is I believe the joined pieces cook more uniformly. Try cutting them some time - it is quick and easy to do.
  • tikigriller
    RRP said:
    You know if you just take the short amount of time to cut that skin flap between the drum and the flat then your wings are easier to eat and tear apart after cooking if that is the way you like to eat them. The other benefit with the flap cut is I believe the joined pieces cook more uniformly. Try cutting them some time - it is quick and easy to do.
    I am trying to imagine what you are talking about and my youthful cooking ignorance is kicking up in full force.  What piece do I need to cut?  And when you say cut, just cut it, or am I actually removing something?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    RRP said:
    The piece of skin between the 2 parts ?
  • My kids like to tear them apart like cavemen, so I leave them whole. 

I think @rrp is saying split the flap of skin between the drummie and flapper that looks like the skin between your thumb and forefinger. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    RRP said:
    I always split the dummies and flats plus never save the tips.
    This. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The wing frenulum, so to speak.
    Ok...that is what I thought he was talking about but wanted to be sure. I will absolutely do this next time!!!

Livermore, California
  • RRP
    36onslow said:
    RRP said:
    The piece of skin between the 2 parts ?
    yes! a sharp knife makes quick work of it
  • I'm not a stickler to any particular style, but usually I cut off the tips, which is a real space saver.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I just agreed with @RRP three times in one thread! Now I know I'm doing something right! ha ha ha 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I buy them at Costco, about 40% cheaper than the grocery store and they come separated.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I always cut off the tips. I don't always cut apart the drums and flats.

If I don't cut those apart I do just like @RRP and cut that web of skin which makes it easier/cleaner to pull them apart when eating.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I am trying to imagine what you are talking about and my youthful cooking ignorance is kicking up in full force.  What piece do I need to cut?  And when you say cut, just cut it, or am I actually removing something?
    This is where I learned how to do it.  Everytime.  Agree with RRP

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP
    smbishop said:

Only thing I just slit the flap apart, I don't cut it off like that.
  • I split them because I prefer the flats.  I also feel like I can get more of them on the BGE.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tikigriller
    You stole this picture form a cookbook, didn't ya!?!?!  ;0)  Just had these things last night, and this picture makes me want more tonight!!!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    RRP said:
    smbishop said:

Only thing I just slit the flap apart, I don't cut it off like that.
    Likewise.

A simple cut that bisects the angle is all I do. No way I would remove that nice flap of skin.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk