Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short ribs

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
Did some short ribs today. No pics because they looked just like all the others posted here. I did a simple salt and pepper rub and laid off the wood chunks to please SWEMBO. She doesn't care for an intense smoke flavor and I want to sneak up on the right level over a couple three cooks. Seven hours at 275 worked well. I'll go eight next time and use pecan chunks too. Any suggestions for a rub that will add a little more punch? I have very little experience with slow cooked beef beyond the occasional brisket. 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Cmon Man!  I don't care if it's been done a milllion times....   we need pics! 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    If I was home instead of sitting in a hotel room I could tell you the name of a brisket rub that @Foghorn gave me in the exchange that is awesome on beef ribs imo. I'm sure others will be by with suggestions. 
    Snellville, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'm guessing you're talking about the Fiesta brand "Brisket Rub". Or their "Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Meat Church Holy Cow

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'm guessing you're talking about the Fiesta brand "Brisket Rub". Or their "Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning".
    Yes that's the one. That stuff is great!
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    To minimize the rub vs. cook matrix, go with whatever worked with the brisket.  If that is not an option, then once you nail this one, make that the brisket rub.  For me the simpler the better.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I think I may try the Prime Rib Rub we use on roasts. It's a mix of salt, celery seed, sugar, black pepper, onion, garlic and arrowroot and it makes a decent bark in the oven. That and some more smoke should work out well on the Egg.
    Michiana, South of the border.