Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: turntable suggestions?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
My Sis and her BF are asking for a Turntable for Christmas.  Started to research . . and I got overwhelmed with options/terminology etc.  I know many here are into audio stuff . . so any suggestions for me?  

NOTE: they live in LA, somewhat "hipsterish" and dont have crazy high end speakers, etc to pair with.  Hoping to spend under $200 . . but I will listen if this is not possible.   
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We have a Techniques SL-BD20.  You can buy these used or even "tuned".  Good entry level turntable. 

The hipster, audiophile TTs are crazy expensive, and you're not going to notice the difference unless you "learn" to notice the difference and you have high end stuff supporting it.
    I gave up on LPs a long time ago, but the best advice I got when shopping for a good turntable was to get a decent one, but invest in a great cartridge.  I would expect that still holds true today.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    @Legume hit it dead on - still holds true.  These guys are local to me but also do a large on-line business.  I've found them helpful with both hi and lower end equipment including my turntable (finally had to replace my 1984 post college purchased table):  https://www.worldwidestereo.com/categories/turntables-and-turntable-accessoriesI ended up with a Music Hall, but most of these will get the job done very well.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    For your price range I'd suggest taking a look at this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033DP300F/Denon-DP-300F.html?tp=48766

Are they into old vinyl or are they buying new releases? I'm an old guy and it's interesting to see vinyl making a small comeback but the price of new vinyl releases just kills me.

If they are new to the whole vinyl thing I'd also get them a simple cleaning brush. Something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703BRUSH/AudioQuest-Record-Brush.html?tp=71638

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    NDG said:
    My Sis and her BF are asking for a Turntable for Christmas.  Started to research . . and I got overwhelmed with options/terminology etc.  I know many here are into audio stuff . . so any suggestions for me?  

NOTE: they live in LA, somewhat "hipsterish" and dont have crazy high end speakers, etc to pair with.  Hoping to spend under $200 . . but I will listen if this is not possible.   
    Curious to know what you end up getting...and how you like it. I posses about 500 albums...that I catch he!! about frequently as they tend to bother my wife.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    NDG said:

Curious to know what you end up getting...and how you like it. I posses about 500 albums...that I catch he!! about frequently as they tend to bother my wife.
    Oof, I can commiserate with your last sentence.  My dad has about 2500 albums and somewhere around 1700 CDs that I'll end up inheriting and needing to do something with.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2016
    Audio technical 120 series is a direct drive, quiet table. Will accept a number of different cartridges. Have seen them for between $200 and $300. SIL has one for about 8 months. 

EDIT - forgot to note, if they have a low frequency filter on the amp/receiver, rumble can be tuned out - sometimes at the expense of low end music, but not always. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    td66snrf said:
    Just remember, you'll need two........and microphone
    It's comments like these that make me enjoy this place.  It also lets me know I'm around like minded people.  :clap:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NDG
    where its at!   You guys are great . . going to comb the options over the weekend.  Thanks for the great tips and links . . . appreciated !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited December 2016
    here is a well reviewed entry level TT that can be customized.
    https://uturnaudio.com

The problem with sub $200 TT is the ability to change the cartridge.  Many under that price just don't have that option, so ensure water you buy has the ability to customize.  

Also verify what cartridge they can "drive" with their audio equipment.  There are two types "moving magnet or MM", and "moving coil, MC". Not all Preamps or integrated amps with phono outputs can drive both so ensure you get the right kind.  I believe most widely used general public consumer goods, such as AV receivers,  will use MM.

Edit:. If you are out and about shopping, drop by some high end audio places and have a listen to their gear just for the fun of it.  Many people feel guilty doing it with no intent to buy but it is worth doing because how else will a guy be able to listen to a $500k sound system.  Look up a Clear Audio dealer and have a listen to their "statement" model, $200k for the TT alone, and with any luck they will be hooked up to some Sonus Faber speakers.  
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @bigalsworth  outstanding!  I might pick one up for SWMBO for xmas.   I have Emotiva stuff that supports MM and MC.
    NDG said:

Should they ever become too much of an issue, I have space, which I will offer you, for their long term storage needs.
    Do I need to mention this to Patti, the next time we get together? 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Also verify what cartridge they can "drive" with their audio equipment.  There are two types "moving magnet or MM", and "moving coil, MC". Not all Preamps or integrated amps with phono outputs can drive both so ensure you get the right kind.  I believe most widely used general public consumer goods, such as AV receivers,  will use MM.  
    Sadly, a lot of newer AVRs don't even have MM/phono inputs anymore either.  I had to pick up a $50 Audio Technica standalone preamp to get the signal high enough to work.  
    I had a wonderful Technics turntable w/Shure V15 Type V cartridge, until my CD shelf unit fell off the wall and smashed it.  Have been using a Yamaha turntable (w/same cartridge) for the last ~25 years (I'm not a "vinyl snob" but do have about 1,700 albums which either weren't made into CDs, or aren't worth "double-dipping" for).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I had an old Garrard, direct drive, counter balance, and a Marantz driver. Sold them overseas to "upgrade" my audio system, 35 years ago. Never did. One of the many things I shall place in the too stupid to breath air column for what I have done. I have yet to have a system that gave the depth and dynamics. I gave up. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @bigalsworth  outstanding!  I might pick one up for SWMBO for xmas.   I have Emotiva stuff that supports MM and MC.
    Picking up the clear audio statement?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Botch said:
    Sadly, a lot of newer AVRs don't even have MM/phono inputs anymore either.  I had to pick up a $50 Audio Technica standalone preamp to get the signal high enough to work.  
    I had a wonderful Technics turntable w/Shure V15 Type V cartridge, until my CD shelf unit fell off the wall and smashed it.  Have been using a Yamaha turntable (w/same cartridge) for the last ~25 years (I'm not a "vinyl snob" but do have about 1,700 albums which either weren't made into CDs, or aren't worth "double-dipping" for).  
    True enough.   I think many flagship models do but I don't think the average consumer buys flagship models
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• NDG
    thanks again for all the advice . . . decided to get a $200 gift card to site called www.turntablelab.com.  Weak I know, but figured they will be 100% happy if THEY pick it out . . plus it forces them to spend it here, rather than spend holiday money on something practical.
    Columbus, OH