Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Franklins of burritos?

Options
We have been in the Bay Area over Thanksgiving, an on the way to the airport swung by El Farolito for a burrito before the long flight home (and a chance to be That Guy).

I mistakenly recalled that El Farolito had been acknowledged as the best burrito in the country (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americas-best-burrito/). Other SF pubs love El Faro, but La Taquerira, two blocks away, won the honors. 

Yum!

In any event, a food coma was induced with a missile of el pastor.

On a related note, our rental house was 50 feet (as the crow flies) from a Punjabi burrito spot. Cali has its advantages. 
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I hope the Punjabi place did the naan wraps right, or caliking is going to throw things.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I miss California burritos.
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    That looks tempting, but i just painted the bathroom walls.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    My Mexican game is on point. So I don't get as worked up about this as other foods. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I hope the Punjabi place did the naan wraps right, or caliking is going to throw things.
    They were rolling on roti, so we're good.  @caliking, might, however, frown on the jerk chicken burrito.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    texaswig said:
    My Mexican game is on point. So I don't get as worked up about this as other foods. 
    Well then, you better make me some.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I'm wondering which "That Guy" you are referring to.  The guy who brings that burrito on the plane for everyone to smell as he eats it?  Or the guy who eats it before the flight for everyone to smell as fiery fumes exit from below?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'm wondering which "That Guy" you are referring to.  The guy who brings that burrito on the plane for everyone to smell as he eats it?  Or the guy who eats it before the flight for everyone to smell as fiery fumes exit from below?
    The latter, but I managed to hold it in for the duration.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    No frowning from this side. Only envy. Jerk chicken burrito/roti wrap sounds awesome!

The Indian version of a burrito is the kathi roll. For the real deal you go Kolkata. Right, @Canugghead? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you missed the sushi burrito place.

Too many good Mexican joints in California, at least in the Bay Area, to narrow it down to one, sorry.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I've eaten there, I am glad to hear you came to planet California and enjoyed some Great Mexican food, we have countless in the Bay Area. El Farolito is pretty good, there are way better, and way worse. Come back and try some more in the future.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Slightly OT, but I gotta brag here.
    I cleared out an entire English train car, not once but twice!  

I was TDY in a wonderful town called Chatham-Gillingham, working with Marconi Electronics.  The last night, Jack and I hit the pubs and sampled as many pints as possible, we had 8 or 9 apiece.  He got to sleep in, was staying for a few more days.
    I made it to the train station the next morning, and had a bit of gas; it was outdoors, no one else around, but dayam I choked, my eyes watered, and cat 40 feet away hissed and ran away across a field.
    Got into a train car, it was empty, and no one else got on at that nor the next stop.  The third town, about six guys got on; the first one on got off again before the train departed.  At the next town, the rest of the guys got off, and sitting next to a window, I noted they all got onto different cars!  The car got a bunch more on, but in the confusion they didn't know who the "poopertrator" was anymore, so I wasn't quite so mortified.  Next town, they got off and a bunch more came on; wow!  
    Thank goodness the episode was spent by the time I got to London and boarded my flight, would've been a long trip otherwise.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    That looks good. Anyone have any idea how they make the filling at mexican joints? I always pan fry burger with the seasoning packets, but its never close to what they make. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    caliking said:
    No frowning from this side. Only envy. Jerk chicken burrito/roti wrap sounds awesome!

The Indian version of a burrito is the kathi roll. For the real deal you go Kolkata. Right, @Canugghead? :)
    ...or Salado, if you time it right
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Slightly OT, but I gotta brag here.
    I cleared out an entire English train car, not once but twice!  

I was TDY in a wonderful town called Chatham-Gillingham, working with Marconi Electronics.  The last night, Jack and I hit the pubs and sampled as many pints as possible, we had 8 or 9 apiece.  He got to sleep in, was staying for a few more days.
    I made it to the train station the next morning, and had a bit of gas; it was outdoors, no one else around, but dayam I choked, my eyes watered, and cat 40 feet away hissed and ran away across a field.
    Got into a train car, it was empty, and no one else got on at that nor the next stop.  The third town, about six guys got on; the first one on got off again before the train departed.  At the next town, the rest of the guys got off, and sitting next to a window, I noted they all got onto different cars!  The car got a bunch more on, but in the confusion they didn't know who the "poopertrator" was anymore, so I wasn't quite so mortified.  Next town, they got off and a bunch more came on; wow!  
    Thank goodness the episode was spent by the time I got to London and boarded my flight, would've been a long trip otherwise.  
    Nice cropdustin' @Botch.

Grounding a plane to Dubai, 30 min in, gets mad plops.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/someone-did-a-****-so-bad-a-british-airways-flight-had-to-turn-around-and-land-475

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited December 2016
    Options
    caliking said:

You bet!

btw, very tempted to buy this 17" Lodge skillet as tawa, on sale now at $51 CAD, plus I get 'personal' 20% discount!  Nay, must resist.
    http://www.sears.ca/en/pans/17-skillet-3469618_I.html#q=lodge&lang=default&start=1

canuckland