Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting Craigslist cast iron kettle grill

Options
https://allentown.craigslist.org/grd/5844185855.html

Cook 'N' Kettle, first manufactured in the late 40s, and still made today. This is a deal for anyone who wants to refurb it, new ones are $950.

Comments

• Firemanyz
    Options
    That's pretty cool. I might have to check this out as I will be near there this weekend. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Had to Google the 3 dog BBQ to find out what this was. Have never seen one, but given the prices, I can understand why. Like a Camp Oven on meth, thanks for sharing. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    I had to do the same thing. Seems the bottom grate has seen better days and the top grate is missing. I will be about 35 miles away this weekend I might try to go check it out. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Typical.  I never new these existed, and now I must have one.

A little fab on the support leg, and some time in the electrolysis tank this grill could be like brand new.  The two new grates look like they'd set you back another 125 each.

Hope somebody from the forum snags it.

Phoenix 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    If I was younger I'd buy it in a heartbeat:

1) kettle grill/smoker
    2) cast iron
    3) replacement (and EXPANSION) parts still available!

This would be great on a deck or patio, big ol' cast iron pot smokin' away while everyone drinks and chats.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    blasting said:

A little fab on the support leg, and some time in the electrolysis tank this grill could be like brand new.  The two new grates look like they'd set you back another 125 each.

If someone here snags it and restores it they MUST post pictures.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Firemanyz
    Options
    I just sent emails as I might try to make it up there. Does anyone have any insight on these? Looked around the net and found some info. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:

I would do it in a heartbeat if I was closer.  That's the type of project I enjoy.

Phoenix 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Saw on their website that the company will do restoration work on vintage units...for anyone who may be interested but doesn't want to do the restoration themselves.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

I would do it in a heartbeat if I was closer.  That's the type of project I enjoy.

This thing is right up your alley!  You have the right tools.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Feel free to rib me but, I like stopping in at little hidden antique places. Old CI is a weakness.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When you see a rusty, crudded up piece on a shelf in a musty antique shop for five bucks, and you know the back-breaking work that went into loose pattern molding, in those hot a$$ foundries before automation, it is rewarding to bring them back to life.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Firemanyz
    Options
    I emailed last night and the posting has been removed this morning. I guess it was not ment to be. I guess I have something new to search for on Craigslist.  :|
  • Focker
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    I emailed last night and the posting has been removed this morning. I guess it was not ment to be. I guess I have something new to search for on Craigslist.  :|
    In all honesty, I think it was a good thing.
    I thought it was too roached, and too much of a project for two bills.  And I like projects.

Hot fires, stove eyes, are unforgiving on iron.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Focker said:
    For two summers during my college years I worked in a foundry like the first and was impressed with the care those men took creating the sand molds. My job was using a cutting wheel much like a radial arm saw with no guard to cut the cast pieces from the gates. That was summer and that foundry was hot as hell! To this very day my arms are scared from th burning flakes of metal from the cut off wheel.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    For two summers during my college years I worked in a foundry like the first and was impressed with the care those men took creating the sand molds. My job was using a cutting wheel much like a radial arm saw with no guard to cut the cast pieces from the gates. That was summer and that foundry was hot as hell! To this very day my arms are scared from th burning flakes of metal from the cut off wheel.
    Good stuff Ron.  Makes one appreciate the journey.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities