Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So The Dog Ate The Turkey

2»

Comments

• evie1370 said:

OK but did the poor doggy get sick?

Last year I had some cube steaks thawing on the counter. We have Corgis, so they can't counter surf. Thought we were good. Came home found steaks gone, nothing but butcher paper littered on the floor. It appears the cat knocked it off of the counter, on to the floor where the dog took over.

Cats and dogs, working together for evil. Who would have known? We still laugh about that one.

Our cats swat stuff down for the dog all the time. Bastards
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Hilarious. Good of you to plan some giving brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Saw this on Alton Brown's Thanksgiving show the other day...Get a large cooler for the turkey, an aquarium pump, and fill the cooler with cold water.  Open the drain of the cooler so it flows into a large pot (you'll need to add some water to keep the level over the turkey) and put the pump in the pot.  Use the pump to recirculate the water back into the cooler.  You'll need to balance the flow out of the cooler vs the flow in from the pump to keep a constant volume, but the constant exchange of water will defrost the turkey very quickly.

Another tip, in the pan with the pump, put a ruler so you can keep an eye on the water level.  Adjust the pump down slightly if it is filling too fast (paper clip should work) or use a piece of foil with a smaller hole in it than the cooler drain to slow down the water.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    My greyhound ate 2 entire bowls of Hershey Kisses - foil and all.  He was fine but my back yard was covered in silver foil for a month... =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Ok...dog story that may take the cake. 

Had a new little jack russle. Sweet dog. Was living in an upstairs condo. Heading out to the Giants Game(Sf), thought I would leave her in the bathroom so if she missed the pee pad, at least it would be on tile which would be easier to clean up than on carpet. 

Got home at 11:30 to fire trucks outside the place. Tiki, her name, had chewed a hole in the pressure water hose connected to the toilet at some point after we left. Sprayed water non stop. Lady downstairs said she got home at 11, opened her door, turned on her light and said it was literally raining in her condo. 

My entire floor of my OF my condo was trashed. 

When it was all said said and done, total damages were in excess of $100,000. Homeowners actually covered most of it, but out of pocket for me was still $20K, not to mention whatever value I lost in selling the house, as we had to disclose the damage to the next owner because of possible mildew damage. 

The dog did survive and passed away naturally many years later and not by my hands. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Could be worse......

LOL, Thor dropping the hammer.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dog ate a whole loaf of ciabatta sometime last night. Was on the counter to dry as part of the stuffing. No way he could have gotten to it. This is all we found when we came down this morning. Damn cats. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506

Had a new little jack russle. Sweet dog. Was living in an upstairs condo. Heading out to the Giants Game(Sf), thought I would leave her in the bathroom so if she missed the pee pad, at least it would be on tile which would be easier to clean up than on carpet. 

Got home at 11:30 to fire trucks outside the place. Tiki, her name, had chewed a hole in the pressure water hose connected to the toilet at some point after we left. Sprayed water non stop. Lady downstairs said she got home at 11, opened her door, turned on her light and said it was literally raining in her condo. 

When it was all said said and done, total damages were in excess of $100,000. Homeowners actually covered most of it, but out of pocket for me was still $20K, not to mention whatever value I lost in selling the house, as we had to disclose the damage to the next owner because of possible mildew damage. 

The dog did survive and passed away naturally many years later and not by my hands. 

OK beats my story easily! I just lost some steaks. I admire your restraint.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Dog ate a whole loaf of ciabatta sometime last night. Was on the counter to dry as part of the stuffing. No way he could have gotten to it. This is all we found when we came down this morning. Damn cats. 

Evil...like I said.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Our neighbors German Shepard puppy a few months ago ate a whole casserole dish of green enchiladas while they were were in another room taking a shower.  He was only about 60 pounds and will probably be 130 pounds when he is full grower.  It's fun keeping food away from him.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dang V, that's a good one but like others have said. Cold water bath and changes will get that bird thawed in no time.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156

Reading this, I figured your handle is how you dealt with Tiki. :smiley:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the turkey. Much appreciated. I was able to thaw out the extra frozen tukey in some room temperature water. Worked like a charm!

Im also cooking the turkey what the dog chewed up. Once I peeled back the wrapping the bite marks were  just the front part of the breast. I cut out maybe 1"-1.5" of the front breast to remove any bite marks. I'm good to go now. Definitely salvageable. I'll use this bird for my wife and I.

Thanks for the stories and laughs. Happy Thanksgiving!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota