Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mule Train. (Pic heavy)

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
I bet you fellows living in Atlanta or New York City don't see this coming down the road very often. 

Look carefully at the pic below. This wagon has a wood fired unit on the back. Only in Dixie my friends :D

These fine folks come by on their mule train the last Friday of the month every month. Been doing it for almost 9 years now no matter the weather. 
At any rate, I thought I would share this with y'all. Hope y'all enjoy it my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Are you filming a Borax advertisement?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That's pretty cool.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • That is awesome and sounds like fun.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Where is Warren Haynes?
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • SGH
    HeavyG said:
    Are you filming a Borax advertisement?
    No sir. I haven't been in a commercial in years. My last hurrah was when Trojan first came out with their Double Magnum condoms. I was their "Big Gun" model for a while. Seeing how they discontinued them, I must have been the only one buying them =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• That's odd, they don't look Amish. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    edited October 2016
    I was gonna buy a mule and a cart when I lost my driver's license.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Very cool Scotty. My brother in law has a massive pair of Belgian Draft Horses that he logs with up in NH. The pair weighs in at around 4,200# - very powerful animals and I love watching them work. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    CTMike said:
    Very cool Scotty. My brother in law has a massive pair of Belgian Draft Horses that he logs with up in NH. The pair weighs in at around 4,200# - very powerful animals and I love watching them work. 
    That is awesome brother. I would love to see a pic of them. My grandfather had an enormous draft horse that he used for stumping. Don't know for sure what he weighed, but he stood a whisker over 18 hands high. He was truly impressive to behold. 

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    We have the HWY9 Mexicans here. 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

rather be with them than any other place you can name...all I can say is "we get there when we get there and gonna enjoy every damn minute of getting there...."  plow on boy's!!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    My grandmothers farm had a pair of working mules when I was a kid.  Don't see many mules these days. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Scotty, Quite the array of gypsy wagons. Very cool. I live midway between two Amish communities here in Iowa and often see horse drawn carriages and wagons when I visit but seldom see any mules being used by them.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Is Cool Hand Luke's Mama in one of those?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    For those who are interested in mules  https://muledays.org/
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Is Cool Hand Luke's Mama in one of those?
    One of the best lines of all time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj60OAh7O5U
  • Also for those in southeast :
     http://muleday.org
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    JethroVA said:
     Don't see many mules these days. 
    Maybe I should buy a couple and start breeding them.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I had watched a series on TV many years ago concerning mules pulling and the likes....That stuff is big time in certain parts Tenn / Ohio etc.  Good mule pulling team cost you as much as a used car and twice as dangerous.  When those reins go slack on that mules back it ain't nothing but a$$holes and elbows out of them pulling sleds of blocks....Hook man can loose a hand or finger easy and they ain't no stop once they dig in and grab and growl...Ain't no car salesman close to being as bad as a mule trader about squabbling over price....I love it

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Very cool Scotty!  Haven't seen it in the ATL
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CTMike
    pasoegg said:

I had watched a series on TV many years ago concerning mules pulling and the likes....That stuff is big time in certain parts Tenn / Ohio etc.  Good mule pulling team cost you as much as a used car and twice as dangerous.  When those reins go slack on that mules back it ain't nothing but a$$holes and elbows out of them pulling sleds of blocks....Hook man can loose a hand or finger easy and they ain't no stop once they dig in and grab and growl...Ain't no car salesman close to being as bad as a mule trader about squabbling over price....I love it

Agreed paso, my brother-in-law also participates in pulls with his Belgians at the local fairs in NH and Maine. He's on the reins, and it takes two helpers to drop the draw bar over the hook on the sled. You better be ready to go once they start digging in. 

Here is a video of my BIL helping a friend with his pair. Those concrete blocks are 1,000# per (I believe), so there's 16K on the sled. My BIL is the skinny one on the near side of the draw bar as they are driving up to the sled. 

https://youtu.be/Z7U9qm5-mSA
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited October 2016
    @sgh Scotty,

Here are a couple photo's of my BIL's pair, and his homebuilt sled he uses to work them on a daily basis:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    @CTMike
    Thats a pair of fine ones for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH, You need to get out a little more. They do that **** everywhere and not just at the end of the month.lol