Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pictures from our outstanding USA Road Trip

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
Firstly a re-iterative big thanks and crisp high five for all of the great advice on what to do on our road trip in western USA. We enjoyed ourselves so much we had booked a return trip within 48 hours of landing back in the UK.

Some pictures from Yellowstone day #1 around the geyser and hot springs area, all taken by SWMBO. More to follow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beautiful pictures.  Thank you so much.
    Options
    Stunning pics !!!!! Great post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well done!! Thank you!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Amazing pictures- thanks for sharing. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    National Geographic quality pictures right there.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    WOW!  Great shots. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Fantastic!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Awesome pics! Glad you had a good time. Come back soon!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful shots of beautiful things!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous.   Sometime we forget just now beautiful this country is.   Thanks for the reminder!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i should have looked up when i was there, all i saw was fish =) those really are some special pics
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Stunning.  Can I ask what she was taking the pictures with?
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Yellowstone is truly a spectacular place.  Glad you had a good time.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Great pics and glad you had a good time. The USA is an awesome place. Can't wait to go back to Yellowstone in 2017. Trying to talk the wife into a winter trip but I'm losing that battle. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I can't wait for day #2 now!!!  Those are gorgeous!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Stormbringer
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks. I'll put more up as they are done. We are going back to Yellowstone June 2017, this time a 3 week round trip starting and ending in Seattle.
    gtcharlie said:
    Stunning.  Can I ask what she was taking the pictures with?

@gtcharlie - she used a Canon 80D with 28-300 zoom lens, some with a 150-600. Also a Canon 60D. We had a camera station set up in the back of the Subaru Outback so we could swap cameras and lenses around quickly to get good shots.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    There last year and thanks for bringing it back to me. Your wife takes great pictures .
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is good reason Yellowstone was the 1st national park. So marvelous.

If you come back, consider heading farther north to Glacier national park. Summer is better. Winter can be fierce. Chief mountain is remarkable. I can't hike anymore, but from about 15 miles on the highway, it was astonishing.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Yellowstone is awesome. Your wife takes great pics! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @gdenby - we did consider Glacier NP for next year. However, after looking into it, unless we are missing something, there is one road through the park which gets clogged with traffic and the glacier itself is mostly gone. However, if we have missed something important in our research, happy to be pointed in the right direction, we are driving Seattle => Yellowstone so could make it a stop.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is one major road thru the park, the "Going to the sun" highway. We were in the vicinity in mid-May, before it was open. As I mentioned, hiking is not an option for me and the missus, so even if we were in the park, we wouldn't have been much off the road. Don't know how crowded it may be in season. It is a long way from anyplace. Big cities for 2 - 3 hundred miles around are 7 - 9 thousand population. Just south of the park is the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 US.

There are 20 glaciers. All are in retreat. But in mid May, most of the mountain tops were still frosted, and many of the hillsides still covered in snow. There are many signs of avalanches visible from the highway.

Worth a drive by at least, but pack a lunch.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    More, please!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Amazing pictures!!! Wow.... Looks like you had a great trip, can't want to see the rest. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @gdenby - thanks we will see if we can get it into our itinerary.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Those elk are delicious!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I just looked at these pictures on my computer screen instead of my phone that really does accentuate colors, and your wife took some absolutely incredible pictures.   Those are some blow up, frame and hang on the wall kind of pictures right there!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Tblack
    Tblack Posts: 55
    Options
    Awesome pics

LBGE 
    Pike Road,Al

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have not been to Yellowstone since college. The experience was sensory overload for me. We did surveying to get college credit, for the USGS, which required us to experience areas in the park that were extremely remote, going days without seeing other people.
    It was, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful, yet stark places/settings I have ever experienced in my life. By this, I mean, you would see gorgeous lush fauna and stark desolate landscape side by side. The colors were incredible, the sulpher odor, immense.
    It was 35 years ago, I still have vivid memories of its beauty.
    It was my first "true experience" in the mountains.
    @Stormbringer these images, captured and shared on your awesome adventure, have made me escape back into memories past, and have also generated the desire to return to Yellowstone again.
    Thank you. They are beautiful.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @YukonRon - thank you for those kind words, we're back in Yellowstone June 2017, maybe we'll see you there.

The next set of shots of Yellowstone, from days #2 and #3 when it snowed (yes, in early September), should be ready this weekend.