Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Thes bags are like 11.2lbs. Comes out to about $.72 per lb
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    Center cut is the best by far, you can use it straight out of the box and you don't even have to sort it.
    Exactly. Whatever you do, don't use a kab with it. The small stuff will fall thru and this stuff is gold. Carry on. 

No need for a KAB. Just gently create a pile of lump with what's in the egg. Why use a KAB to have good lump break apart? This lump has very, very little ash. You make absolutely no sense since you have not tried this lump.
    And you make zero sense with your anti kab stance since you don't use one. Now get out your scale and weigh some of the precious lump. You know, for us "Non-believers".  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    is it GMO free?
    Options
    A deal is a deal......

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • yljkt
    Options
    A deal is a deal......

Somehow I pictured you a little taller... =)
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    How many you buy and how much you pay?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    My photo analysis skills tell me he bought 5 boxes at $10.99 per box.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    @HeavyG can't get anything past you!!!!

bought a couple rubs, mouse traps, and a head light for my forehead while cooking in the dark and spent $90. 

Definitely a deal. We shall see how it burns. I seriously doubt I personally will be able to tell much of a difference. 

@yljkt can you believe he is only 8!!  Already comes up to my chin!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited October 2016
    Options

I weighed a box and it was roughly 11 pounds including the box. I have 5 more boxes and will weigh a couple of more to find out the weight of the lump. Should weigh in between 9-10 pounds. I'm on my 5th cook (no low and slows) and been averaging under 2.5 oz per cook. That's 6 cooks per pound which means a box could last between 54 and 60 cooks; almost 2 months on a single box. That is using an mini; a larger egg will use more. Get it while it's on sale. Buy a box like I did. I thought this was all hype but the lump was even better than the hype. 'Organic' and 'Center-Cut' mean nothing to me. How it cooks is what really maters and the box I have will not disappoint.

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My photo analysis skills tell me he bought 5 boxes at $10.99 per box.
    That is assuming he only used one cart (there is an image in my head of the heifers I have seen at Walmart pushing one cart and pulling another, usually filled with junk food).
  • Mikee
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    Center cut is the best by far, you can use it straight out of the box and you don't even have to sort it.
    Exactly. Whatever you do, don't use a kab with it. The small stuff will fall thru and this stuff is gold. Carry on. 

No need for a KAB. Just gently create a pile of lump with what's in the egg. Why use a KAB to have good lump break apart? This lump has very, very little ash. You make absolutely no sense since you have not tried this lump.
    And you make zero sense with your anti kab stance since you don't use one. Now get out your scale and weigh some of the precious lump. You know, for us "Non-believers".  

I will continue. Just added 2.3 ounces for another cook. With a vey low ash content, the Char-Broil Lump does not need to be shaken; just gently rearranged into a pile before lighting. There is absolutely no need to waste money on a KAB if you buy this lump.   
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    Options
    It was on clearance tonight for the $10.99 listed above at my Lowe's, so I picked up a box.  I was really looking for end cut.

The pieces are smaller uniform pieces.  With small pieces, it is hard to tell, but they seem less dense that other lump.  That would seem to indicate that it is not a dense hardwood like oak and could have less energy per unit volume than other lump, but it is probably average.
    Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

I really did not feel like going to Lowe's today...thanks a lot....now I have to......

What is that equivalent to though in lbs?  This obviously is not the same as a 20lb bag of BGE.........I pay $29.99 for that......

I believe someone on the forum said it is 11lbs.  The box states 1.18 cu ft.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

I really did not feel like going to Lowe's today...thanks a lot....now I have to......

What is that equivalent to though in lbs?  This obviously is not the same as a 20lb bag of BGE.........I pay $29.99 for that......

I believe someone on the forum said it is 11lbs.  The box states 1.18 cu ft.
    Their website says 11lbs.. don't know why they don't list weight on their box.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Their whole message all over the box was that you should never buy lump based on weight. So listing the weight would be against their marketing campaign for their lump. 

Hey, I hope it works. If I like it, I may just go buy then out so I am set for a while. Boxes are easier  to store than bags. 

I dont have a rockwood option around here and nobody will ship to Ca  because of all our stupid laws. 

I know now I like BGE better than RO. At least the one bag of RO I got I was not impressed at all with the sizes of the lump. Felt like I went through that bag much faster than the BGE bags. I know they are supposed to be the same, but I noticed a difference still and remember reading somewhere they claim BGE has the better lump for their bags. 

So so I doubt I will. It is any taste difference, but so far I have noticed burn difference if that makes sense. 

Livermore, California
  • yljkt
    Options
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:

I will continue. Just added 2.3 ounces for another cook. With a vey low ash content, the Char-Broil Lump does not need to be shaken; just gently rearranged into a pile before lighting. There is absolutely no need to waste money on a KAB if you buy this lump.   
    I didn't waste any money on mine. The time it saves on clean up was worth it to me. I just shake, dump in lump and light. Your apparently playing lump Jenga gently rearranging piles. Or weighing the stuff. Lol...    
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:

I didn't waste any money on mine. The time it saves on clean up was worth it to me. I just shake, dump in lump and light. Your apparently playing lump Jenga gently rearranging piles. Or weighing the stuff. Lol...    
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:

Lump Jenga. That's gonna stick. I'm going to use it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    "Lump Jenga. That's gonna stick. I'm going to use it."   Or maybe a lump version of Tetris. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    ...I dont have a rockwood option around here and nobody will ship to Ca  because of all our stupid laws... 

Don't blame California. The Rockwood peeps won't allow their stuff to be shipped to Cali cuz they don't want to put two simple little lines of text on their bags.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ...I dont have a rockwood option around here and nobody will ship to Ca  because of all our stupid laws... 

Don't blame California. The Rockwood peeps won't allow their stuff to be shipped to Cali cuz they don't want to put two simple little lines of text on their bags.
    .......nor does this peep want to keep a California environmental attorney on retainer and maintain the extra insurance.  Somebody has to pay for those and only so much can be passed onto the consumer.  Not worth the gamble when 49 other states are charcoal friendly.
  • Mikee
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:

I just rearrange and lite. 2 step process versus your 3. Plus I waste very little lump. Gently rearranging the lump means I just pick up the pieces and put them on a pile. I weigh it because of the non-believes such as you. Buy the best lump and you'll see there is no reason for a KAB.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Mikee said:
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:

Don't sh!t yourself @yljkt.  Yes, you did waste money on the KAB.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I'm going to start my fires with dollar bills and pour the coals to it and stand on my high horse and say it's the best way because no one else knows anything. Makes as much sense as the rest of this thread. Arguing over whether stirring out your ashes vs shaking a basket vs measuring lump to the tenth oz. Only thing I'm taking away from this thread it the absolute genius of LUMP JENGA!!!
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We have to deal with California's enviromental regulations, as well as other nations, such as Canada, and the entire European Union.
    There is significant cost involved, and depending upon the need, all that may be delivered is a compromised component, which may, or may not be as good as the products and services provided, in non legislated areas.
    In my line of work, we have invested hundreds of millions, locally and globally, to not only meet, but to stay ahead of the legislative action, in the most severely legeslated place on earth; California.
    Trust me when I tell you this, if it were a matter of printing a couple of lines on a label, it would be done.
    There are several reasons it costs a lot to live there. Legislation is just one, but a major one.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mikee
    edited October 2016
    Options

I don't stir the lump. Just make a hole and drop in a fire starter. Pick up some other lump and place it on top. Add new lump on top of that as needed. The only reason to weigh it is because people like you have no idea of how much lump is needed. It takes less than 20 seconds to weigh it. Believe it or not, some people want to have positive reviews before switching brands. Switching to a very expensive lump needs to make sense. Very few ,if no one, will pay twice the price for no benefit. I was a Royal Oak person; great bang for the buck. The Char-Broil Lump, while more costly, provides a bigger bang. Right now, on sale at Lowes, it cost way less than @Rockwood (above average lump).

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'm all set now! 
     I asked the manager if he would discount the lump even more if I took the entire pallet and he told me he would sell it for $6 a box. 
     So I bought all 37 boxes 

Dude.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    what a score!
    canuckland
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     =) 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    well, by some calculations I've read, that's well over 2000 cooks, or over four years if you cook with it dinner every night and lunch on weekends