Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KickAsh Basket - worth it?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Botch said:
    I've had a couple fires go out overnight because the six holes in the ceramic were clogged (and, apparently, the bottom holes).  After getting a KAB that never happened again, so I never bought that $300 fan controller I was looking at.   :)
    Interesting. Assuming you are referring to the holes in the fire box, they don't make any difference at all. Either that or mine just don't set clogged - because I don't remember the last time I even thought to clean them. And I've never had a fire go out.
    Well, I have, but haven't with the KAB.  I've only got a few data points here, so it's statistically irrelevant.  But, at $40/data point, I'll be happy until proven otherwise.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    I just like mine cause it makes clean up a little easier.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    It seems to waste a whole lot of lump.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    How much easier is it?  Ash still needs to be cleaned from the draft door with the KAB.  You still need to remove innards for a deep clean as needed.

You can stir lump and scrape out with the ash tool, carry on.  Maybe less frequently with a KAB?  Maybe?  But how hard really is it to gently stir with a gloved hand, scrape out a small egg with enough air to get in, dump lump, light, and go.  $60 for a charcoal grate, that will rust and warp???  

I need enlightenment.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Mikee said:
    How does it waste a whole lot of lump?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

Focker said:
    How much easier is it?  Ash still needs to be cleaned from the draft door with the KAB.  You still need to remove innards for a deep clean as needed.

You can stir lump and scrape out with the ash tool, carry on.  Maybe less frequently with a KAB?  Maybe?  But how hard really is it to stir, scrape out a small egg with enough air to get in, dump lump, light, and go.  $60 for a charcoal grate, that will rust and warp???  

I need enlightenment.
    I have one in my Small and XL.
    Only thing I don't like is with my XL it's recommended to keep the BGE cast iron lump grate in the Egg.
    Honestly I really like them...
    I lift them slowly out of the Egg and shake over a trash can.
    I use a small electical plastic switch box to scoop the ash from the bottom of the fire box, replace the Kick Ash Basket and top off with fresh lump.
    Really is easy and faster with less mess. Very seldom do I need to pull my fire ring or box when cleaning.
    Is the Kick Ash a must have? No, but I would buy them again.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Had my egg for 2 years before I got it.  I can live without it.  It's only $50 though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mikee
    Photo Egg said:
    Mikee said:
    How does it waste a whole lot of lump

Where does all the small pieces of lump go? It goes in the trash with the KAB. All those smaller pieces are still usable. Sure its quick  to get rid of ashes but good  size lump also goes with it.  The spacing of the KAB  allows way to much lump fall thru.

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Here it is for me...if you are a new egger, there are so many other things to spend your money on depending on what you already have in your toy box. The kick ash is a luxury item. 

Thermapen
    adjustable rig
    better thermo
    stainless steel drip pan
    PLATE SETTER IF IT DOESNT COME WITH ONE. 
    Nest if it doesn't come with one. 
    Shelves if you don't have a table
    ci woo if you don't do an adjustable rig
    bbq gloves 
    wood chunks
    cover
    igrill2 or something similar. Flame boss 200 if you want temp control and temp readings.  I have both and realize now I only needed one. LOL
    Blackstone--ok, that one is a stretch but a small one is t much more the a KAB
    cersmic pizza plate-- pizzas and of course cookies

so many other things than a KAB that are needed and will garner actual good results you can taste. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Photo Egg
    Mikee said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Mikee said:

Where does all the small pieces of lump go? It goes in the trash with the KAB. All those smaller pieces are still usable. Sure its quick  to get rid of ashes but good  size lump also goes with it.  The spacing of the KAB  allows way to much lump fall thru.

Really depends on how agresive you shake it.
    Only takes a small shake to clear the ash.
    Yes, if you shake the **** out of it, it works like a sifter. You will loose the smaller pieces. But it is still not a whole lot of lump even with the XL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Photo Egg said:
    Mikee said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Mikee said:

Really depends on how agresive you shake it.
    Only takes a small shake to clear the ash.
    Yes, if you shake the **** out of it, it works like a sifter. You will loose the smaller pieces. But it is still not a whole lot of lump even with the XL.
    From what I have seen the little tiny pieces can either get shook out with the basket, or conveniently get jammed in the holes of the stock iron grate. Of course shaking it gently over a small metal trash can keeps that ash from going into the egg. If you wear gloves you can grab the handles and never get dirty. I like the better airflow, but honestly like the fact that I can clean either egg in half a minute and not look like a chimney sweep when I'm done. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I have 2 eggs 1 KJ Jr and 3 Kick Ash Baskets.... love 'em
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I have one in my LBGE and my SBGE. Did They make a difference? Yes, but. I I don't remember needing to "settle" the lump during a low and slow due to losing the heat before KAB. No problems with a hot cook, but both have cooled down more than once on a low and slow with the KAB, and I had to take an old antenna and stir the lump to get the fire back up to temp. It may be me....

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Focker said:

You can stir lump and scrape out with the ash tool, carry on.  Maybe less frequently with a KAB?  Maybe?  But how hard really is it to gently stir with a gloved hand, scrape out a small egg with enough air to get in, dump lump, light, and go.  $60 for a charcoal grate, that will rust and warp???  

I need enlightenment.
    Brandon I hate to tell you but it will not warp, rust yes but not very much and In 2-3 years I cant see any real loss due to rust, if one takes the Kick ash Basket out of the egg and shakes it over a bucket of some kind most definitely the cleaning of the egg will be less frequent not that cleaning out the ash is a big job, just easer with KAB. It is a very well made item made in America. The first version's were of much thinner stock and did warp, Chad has sent any of the first customers that have contacted them newer KAB. I'm kind of anal so before every cook  I take out the KAB shake out the ash, dump the old lump in a box, load the KAB in the egg with fresh lump and dump the old lump on top because it seems to light easer! I know that's a little crazy and not necessary.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I love mine. Keeps cleanup easy. And Chad is a real nice guy.  Life is short, spend the money.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2016
    Focker said:

I need enlightenment.
    Brandon, I am quite pleased with my KAB in my L and Small. I use nothing underrneath. Personally I will also use one of these until something new and better comes along in the future. As for ease of cleaning I do believe you are missing the  obvious - just give my KAB a good shake and then remove it from my egg. That then exposes the birds eye view of the ash in the base  which is easily scooped or vaccummed out. As for lost tiny pieces so be it or shift them if you wish. But the key is no more bending over and scraping out that tiny hole!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I like the looks of the Stainless Steel Basket from Smokeware.  I have the Kickass Basket  in fact bought it at Roswell Hardware, and like it real well but the one from Smokeware looks more intriguing to me.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Mikee
    The KAB wastes a lot of lump. Small pieces will fall thru.  Nothing wrong with them; they will burn great when doing a long and slow. All bigger pieces will eventually become a size that fits thru the KAB. Some here may not care about the cost of lump and how much they go thru; but I do. Anything bigger than an pensile eraser is usable.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Mikee said:
    The KAB wastes a lot of lump. Small pieces will fall thru.  Nothing wrong with them; they will burn great when doing a long and slow. All bigger pieces will eventually become a size that fits thru the KAB. Some here may not care about the cost of lump and how much they go thru; but I do. Anything bigger than an pensile eraser is usable.
    Do you have, or have you used a kab? 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2016
    The cost of it is justified by the time it saves you in 1) getting lump ready to light, 2) getting lump up to cooking temp, and 3) ease of clean up after the cook.   It really depends upon what your time is worth to you.  I work late most days and this thing really helps me get my egg cranking quickly. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    @RRP. "I use nothing underneath".
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    @GlennM I see what you did there, oh no now I can't unsee  =)
    canuckland
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Yes!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• I have one in my XL and if I would return it in a heartbeat. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2016
    I have one in my XL and if I would return it in a heartbeat. 
    I realize they are not for everyone and may be the ease of removal and "shake-a-bility" isn't as valuable of an aspect with a XL...with that said would you mind explaining what it is you don't like? I mean with my large and small I pull off the grate, give the KAB a sharp stirs, grab the handles and give the KAB a couple hard shakes and I'm ready to rock & roll! Every second or third time I may clean out the ash.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I just recently bought my second ceramic grill and I picked up the KAB the same day.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    No.  I still love it. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I'll contemplate one when I'm disabled and incapacitated enough to where I cannot take a knee and scrape ash into a bucket.  When that comes, I'll have much more to worry about than what I'm egging tonight. 

Appreciate the input, but I still need enlightenment.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker said:
    I'll contemplate one when I'm disabled and incapacitated enough to where I cannot take a knee and scrape ash into a bucket.  When that comes, I'll have much more to worry about than what I'm egging tonight. 

Not trying to provide a sales pitch or anything, but I would just point out that I believe air flow is improved slightly with the KAB.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Photo Egg
    Focker said:

Your points above are are really not why the Kick Ash is nice to have.
    You still have to clean the fallen ash from the Egg. The benefit is lifting the basket out, give it a gentle shake and being able to place it right back into the Egg, top off with fresh lump and fire it up. No sifting or pulling spent lump from the standard cast iron lump grate before you can even start cleaning the Egg. But the better air flow is a big advantage. 
    All good if you don't like the idea. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas