Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot and sticky wings.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Here is a very simple but great way to make hot and sweet wings. You probably already have all or at least most of the ingredients on hand. 

1 cup BBQ sauce. It doesn't really matter what brand. The hot sauce, honey, butter and rum will totally overshadow the bbq sauce. It's simply a base.
1 stick of butter.
1 cup of good, pure, comb honey.
2 tablespoons of either habanero or scotch bonnet pepper sauce. Either will work just fine. 
1 cup of Captain Morgan Private Stock. 

To make the sauce, slightly warm the BBQ sauce. Melt the stick of butter. Dump the melted butter into the warm BBQ sauce and stir. Pour in the rum and honey and stir. Once this is stirred well, add a tablespoon of habanero sauce at a time and stir well. If you add the hot sauce last, you can check the heat level by simply tasting the sauce. This will prevent you from getting it to hot 

For the rub I used equal parts of Tony Chacheries and Everglades original. The Everglades is loaded with sage and the TC is loaded with several peppers. This combination works excellent on wings. 

You know the rest of the story, simply rub the wings with the rub, cook indirect at 400-450 degrees, and glaze the wings with the sauce the last 15 minutes of cooking. Or you can skip glazing them and use this as a dipping sauce. It works great both ways. However I prefer them glazed by a whisker. 
You end up with wings that are spicy, buttery, sweet, and has just a touch of Caribbean flair from the rum. Hope y'all enjoy this simply wing recipe as much as I do. 

For the sauce. 

For the rub. 

Cook in progress on BGE at 450 degrees indirect. 

As always, thanks for taking a peek my friends. Hope that y'all enjoy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    These wings went on almost frozen, had to re-season them as they thawed. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• What.....no finished product pic?

Bookmarked...thanks for sharing the recipe....anything with Rum is a good thing.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SGH

What.....no finished product pic?

Bookmarked...thanks for sharing the recipe....anything with Rum is a good thing.

They are still on the BGE cooking. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:

What.....no finished product pic?

They are still on the BGE cooking. 

Well....that's the difference then....not even noon here yet!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Like white on rice Scotty!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    In for the finish
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • And just like that, I now know what is for dinner tonight!!!

Livermore, California
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    If only someone had some sort of "Seal of Approval" that they could give. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SGH
    gmac said:
    If only someone had some sort of "Seal of Approval" that they could give. 
    You know, you would think that someone would have something like that ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Need some ranch and wow you got yourself a meal.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Outstanding cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Outstanding!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    SGH said:
    Just before the glaze. 

Glazed and finished. 

It's no Seal Of Approval.....but definitely worthy of a  

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like this!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • That looks like some good eats right there!!
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I'll try this some time soon. The private stock bottle looks a little fancy for me though so I may go with something a little more plain :)
  • SGH
    Elijah said:
     The private stock bottle looks a little fancy for me though so I may go with something a little more plain :)
    You can omit the rum all together if you like. The comb honey, butter, hot sauce and Q sauce works like a charm. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Always being chased by the buffalo....posting spicy wings....I wonder what they should be called.  You need a name, Scottie!
    Dems some good looking wings, Scott!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Brother GH you surely know wings are my absolute favorite   You did good. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Hot and sweet is great on appetizers. My family just calls it "awesome sauce." Looks like yours qualifies for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Fantastic cook! Makes me want to throw out the chili I just made. What the heck was I thinking? Oh yeah, it was a request. Next time, I will just say no and do this instead. That glaze looks delicious.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Dredger said:
    Fantastic cook! Makes me want to throw out the chili I just made. What the heck was I thinking? Oh yeah, it was a request. Next time, I will just say no and do this instead. That glaze looks delicious.
    First, thank you sister. Second, don't throw out the chili. Just whip up some wings to go with that chilli. Third, to be some simple crap that you probably already have on hand, that glaze is really, really good. Sometimes it is the simple things that really turn out well. And again, thanks. 

Status- Standing by.

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Nice cook brother best looking wings I have seen in a while!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    That's wings elevated to gourmet status
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SGH
    leemschu said:
    Nice cook brother best looking wings I have seen in a while!
    CPARKTX said:
    That's wings elevated to gourmet status
    Thanks fellows. Just to reiterate, the sauce is nothing fancy at all. Its cheap, very easy to make, and is one of those things that's surprisingly good. Give it a whirl and see what you think. 

Status- Standing by.

• They look amazing. Wings on right now going to try the sauce, Thanks for posting.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice Wangs!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95