Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskets at Costco in U.S.?

Options
So, as part of an absolutely and unequivocally ill-conceived idea, I am considering trying to pick up a packer or two while in San Jose on business travel next week.  I will be there without a vehicle, so failing a cab ride, it looks like I'd need to carry these briskets an hour or so to get them to my hotel and into my luggage. Then there's the refrigeration issue I would need to consider....  :s

Can an anyone tell me whether all Costcos in the U.S. carry briskets?

A "no," while ultimately disappointing, would likely do me a great service by putting my harebrained scheme to rest.

As a Canadian, many consumer goods are much cheaper South of the border - even with a poor exchange. Other items on my "pickup-while-in-the-U.S." list include cigars, scotch and Eggcessories.

Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Here's a link to a recent Costco/brisket tracking thread:

Costco Brisket Tracker  I would go to the main Costco web site and put in the zip code of your destination.  A store locator with all the contact info should appear, then give 'em call and sort it out.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    That's a lot of work for a brisket!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• CharleyR
    Options
    I recently posted that I picked up a prime full packer at Costco for $2.99 per pound here in the Chicago area.  I know briskets are plentiful throughout the south, but other areas of the country responded that never see them.  I have no idea what the situation is in CA, so perhaps you can call one to check.  Good luck!
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Odds are if you're in cattle country that Costco has briskets. Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas ect

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    That's a lot of work for a brisket!
    Yes, but as I say, fhe prices are so much better in the U.S. that it would likely be worth the trouble!
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Are you planning on buying them frozen snd then praying ?

why not buy frozen. Buy a cheap cooler and some dry ice and mail them back home ? Or would customs hold them too terribly long for you to retrieve ?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Are you planning on buying them frozen snd then praying ?

why not buy frozen. Buy a cheap cooler and some dry ice and mail them back home ? Or would customs hold them too terribly long for you to retrieve ?
     :) This made me laugh. Employing prayer and a cooler to transport meat across the border.

Sounds like someone is providing me with a darn excuse to pick up a YETI or RTIC cooler. Hot damn I love the way you guys think!

I've looked into customs and it would appear I can take 44lbs of fresh meat home - two big packers!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would suggest Uber rather than a cab.  Will you have a freezer in your hotel?  It might be one of the mini fridges with the little freezer that hangs down.  Not big enough for briskets. 

I would definitely call costco first to see: 
    1) They even carry packers.
    2) If you can purchase it frozen. 

If you have a freezer in your hotel then freeze some bottles of water to throw in a cooler to transport home. The frozen briskets with a few frozen water bottles should stay cold for a long time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just spend the money and buy a good one from SRF.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Except that SRF: "We deliver within the United States with the exception of Puerto Rico, Guam and other U.S. territories. At this time, we are unable to process international orders or deliver to PO and APO/FPO Boxes."  They don't deliver to Canada where the OP is from.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Costco by me (Atlanta area) only carries flats, so I'd definitely check before I went. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • fruitguy
    Options
    You will also have to keep in mind the Canadian Food Inspection

Meat and poultry products (for example, jerky, sausages, deli meats and patties, fois gras)

• up to 20 kilograms per person
    • packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is
    • proof of country of origin may be required

Meat and poultry: fresh, frozen and chilled

• one turkey per person

Please note:  Within this limit on meat, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) may have specific requirements. 

Please consult the CBSA website for further information.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This could work but would be easier with help from fellow Eggers. Someone to buy them for you and freeze.
    Might send an email to Smitty, Eggs by the Bay...http://www.eggsbythebay.com/home-page.html
    I have never met Smitty but good friends tell me he is one on the best...
    I'm sure he could put you in contact with briskets.
    These Polar Bear Backpack coolers...http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/category/backpack-coolers.html... in my opinion, were made to carry briskets.
    You could fit 2, 16-18 pound packers in this cooler. I used mine to get at least 35 pounds of meat into Turks and Caicos a few month ago. I pre froze everything and put a small amount of dry ice, wrapped in paper, on top.
    The big issue would be Canadian Customs and the laws of bringing in beef.
    Good luck...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Call the specific Costco before hand, just to be safe 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    You will also have to keep in mind the Canadian Food Inspection

Meat and poultry products (for example, jerky, sausages, deli meats and patties, fois gras)

Meat and poultry: fresh, frozen and chilled

• one turkey per person

Please note:  Within this limit on meat, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) may have specific requirements. 

Please consult the CBSA website for further information.

Yes, thanks. This is the page that allowed me to confirm that i) I could bring meats, and ii) I could bring 44lbs worth.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Livermore Costco

today

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Only Flats at my two Costco's in Atlanta.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Livermore Costco

today

That price is sick!... in that in that it is so disgustingly good that it's bad. For comparisons' sake, I'll mention that I looked at a AAA (equivalent to your "choice," if I am not mistaken) 9 lb packer that was $78 CAD at a local butcher shop last weekend.

This is exactly why I am willing to take arduous and seemingly-illogical steps to cart a not-insignificant quantity of cow pectorals across North America while simultaneously attempting to maintain a semblance of professionalism and dignity while on business. Let's hope the meat makes it unscathed, lest I reek of failure (both literally and figuratively).
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Livermore Costco

today

WT???  I bought a brisket flat today at Costco in FL.  I paid $4.79/lb for choice :(
    On the bright side, I did score a 4 pack of NY strip steaks, choice, but just as nice marbling as the prime packs they had.

I bet you could find a supermarket or other source for dry ice, pack the briskets in a foam cooler with dry ice, put that in a cardboard box, and take it as checked baggage.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Where are you in the GWN? Bellingham Costco has Prime packers all the time, last week they were $3.19/pound (I have no idea how they came up with that price. I walked away from the cooler as I already have two and a flat in the freezer. I just drive across and when SWMBO is with me, we can bring in four without an issue.
    SRF is ideal, but I have to know when the shipment will hit my US addy in Blaine. Always been OK, but it has been close.
    Depending on where you are, maybe I can help....message me if appropriate.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Skiddymarker: I'm in the area of Canada's national capital - Ottawa, Ontario. That's a very kind offer of help and I'll keep it in mind.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Except that SRF: "We deliver within the United States with the exception of Puerto Rico, Guam and other U.S. territories. At this time, we are unable to process international orders or deliver to PO and APO/FPO Boxes."  They don't deliver to Canada where the OP is from.
    Order from SRF and have it delivered to your hotel.  I am sure that you can convince the chef to store it in the kitchen's fridge.

@Skiddymarker: I'm in the area of Canada's national capital - Ottawa, Ontario. That's a very kind offer of help and I'll keep it in mind.
    You have at least a couple of hours to get to a US drop point like the ones in Ogdensburg (Prescott bridge) but some will store in a cooler for you, ideal to enjoy the SRF habit - damn I sound like a pusher, eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    There are interested Canadians watching this thread. Please post the conclusion to this adventure!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    njl said:
    Livermore Costco

today

WT???  I bought a brisket flat today at Costco in FL.  I paid $4.79/lb for choice :(
    On the bright side, I did score a 4 pack of NY strip steaks, choice, but just as nice marbling as the prime packs they had.

I bet you could find a supermarket or other source for dry ice, pack the briskets in a foam cooler with dry ice, put that in a cardboard box, and take it as checked baggage.
    Against airline/FAA to check a package containing dry ice. But you can have a limited amount as your carry on luggage... 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    njl said:
    Livermore Costco

today

Like everybody has said, check first.  This pisses me off, the Costcos here in central CA (Fresno, Clovis) never carry brisket, plate or chuck ribs.  Begging their meat Mgrs. is futile.

Good luck
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Where are you in the GWN? Bellingham Costco has Prime packers all the time, last week they were $3.19/pound (I have no idea how they came up with that price. I walked away from the cooler as I already have two and a flat in the freezer. I just drive across and when SWMBO is with me, we can bring in four without an issue.
    SRF is ideal, but I have to know when the shipment will hit my US addy in Blaine. Always been OK, but it has been close.
    Depending on where you are, maybe I can help....message me if appropriate.  
    @Skiddymarker I just picked up one today from Bellingham Costco and they're now 2.89/pound. Just a heads up for any eggers in the area. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Luvnlife: Beauty. I can hardly believe my eyes this moment. That is a truly incredible price.
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Yeah it's hard to beat. Good luck on your adventure, your message above about hauling cow pectorals across NA cracked me up! Too funny. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited September 2016
    Options
    They sure do in Texas. I think it was $2.69 for Prime.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.