Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Boiled Peanuts

Options
2»

Comments

• dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Options
    Where can I buy Green Peanuts some place that will ship them west??  any ideas
  • dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks the Lady said I did know they ate Peanuts in Navada
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Wow!  Reminds me of my years in Greenville, SC.  Lived & worked in Travelers Rest.  The peanuts you could get at the roadside stands in the mountains up north were amazing!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • NonaScott
    Options
    dogfoot said:
    Thanks the Lady said I did know they ate Peanuts in Navada
    The peanuts in that link don't look like green peanuts. They look like dried raw peanuts. They take much longer to cook and don't quite taste the same. Green peanuts are usually refrigerated in my area.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Here is an interesting thread on fresh green vs dried raw peanuts. http://www.boiled-peanut-world.com/where-to-buy-largest-green-peanuts-for-boiling.html
    Narcoossee, FL

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    2 of the best things living in the South this time of year: the smell of peanuts after just being dug and tasting those goobers after being boiled
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    2 of the best things living in the South this time of year: the smell of peanuts after just being dug and tasting those goobers after being boiled
    ....and penders....another name for them here in the south.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    This thread made me to go nuts.com to order some "Jumbo Raw Peanuts" to make boiled peanuts.  We've ordered these numerous times before and they are top quality peanuts.  They come in 1 lb. bags, nearly 5 lb. bags and a 25 lb. bag.  I highly recommend nuts.com.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This thread made me to go nuts.com to order some "Jumbo Raw Peanuts" to make boiled peanuts.  We've ordered these numerous times before and they are top quality peanuts.  They come in 1 lb. bags, nearly 5 lb. bags and a 25 lb. bag.  I highly recommend nuts.com.
    Word of caution.....raw peanuts does not mean green. Raw will likely be uncooked but not necessarily freshly harvested. I would suggest that you would use these for roasting with salt.

Green peanuts are freshly harvested out of the field. I would inquire further....you want to make sure they are green / freshly harvested. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Thanks for the very helpful information, @northGAcock.  I appreciate it!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the very helpful information, @northGAcock.  I appreciate it!
    If you go to the link I posted above there are several links to places you can get raw green peanuts. Green peanuts are usually refrigerated. At my publix they are with the fresh peas broccoli etc in the produce case.
    Narcoossee, FL

• NonaScott
    Options
    I like to use Lima beans as an analogy since peanuts are not nuts but legumes. Fresh and frozen Lima beans are raw as are dried Lima beans. Fresh Lima beans take minutes to cook while dried take hours. They taste nothing alike when cooked. Fresh green peanuts are like fresh limas and dried raw peanuts are like dried limas
    Narcoossee, FL

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    edited September 2016
    Options

They sell them in cans at the big stores down here.  I don't think they are that bad.  All you have to do is reheat them, I add some spices and vinegar to it.  Actually, I may add a can in the next rub exchange...

This may make a purest cringe, equivalent to when I see someone use jarred marinara sauce....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Got a pot of Cajun peanuts in the works.  

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    This^^^ @Dredger sounds Dayumn good. I'm a sucker for green boiled peanuts. The ham hock addition would definitely add some Southern Hospitality. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dogfoot
    Options
    I ordered 50lbs peanuts yesterday from Nuts.com they came today freight free

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You're right @NPHuskerFL. I had never had them without a ham hock and bought some at a roadside set-up that didn't use them - yuck. He mentioned something about a relatively new law that prohibits roadside vendors from adding meat to the peanuts. Not so sure about that, but in the future, we will always make our own.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    dogfoot said:
    I ordered 50lbs peanuts yesterday from Nuts.com they came today freight free

50lbs?!!  Damn!  You're gittin after it.

Phoenix 
  • dogfoot
    Options
    Yes I will screw up 30 lbs the other 20lbs my be real good
  • NonaScott
    Options
    I'm depressed now after starting this thread. My Publix has had fresh peanuts all week but I've been holding off getting them until closer to Saturday. I went in today to pick them up and they were gone. Produce manager says won't be getting more in until Monday. Said they don't order large quantities because their shelf life is only about four or five days as long as you  keep them refrigerated. Said they grow mold really fast.
    Narcoossee, FL

• NonaScott
    Options
    Just went to nuts.com and unfortunately they don't carry fresh green peanuts due to the fact they are so perishable. Oh well guess I'll keep looking locally
    Narcoossee, FL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I love boiled peanuts. Green are the best. I've never heard of ham hocks being added.
    I generally soak the dry peanuts overnight in vinegar water. The vinegar helps soften the nuts and the skins.
    I cook them in a pressure cooker. This really cuts the cooking time. About an hour is usually enough cooking time. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I can't get into the boiled peanuts ... Mine have either got to be straight out the hull or roasted 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    I can't get into the boiled peanuts ... Mine have either got to be straight out the hull or roasted 

it certainly is an acquired taste.  When I moved south, I tried them and immediately spit them out.  Took a while to get over the mental aspect of it but now I love them.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    i have some going this morning as well. 
    Wiggins, MS