Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Boiled Peanuts

Options
My favorite game time snack is boiled peanuts and I enjoy making my own. Up until now I have only used dried raw peanuts as they are bigger than the raw fresh peanuts I can get at publix. I noticed yesterday that publix had some nice sized fresh available so I would like to give them a try. I usually like to cook them with some garlic and liquid crab boil to spice them up a little. Does anybody have a preferred method? How long do fresh peanuts take to cook? The dried ones take a long time. TIA
Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I just discovered boiled peanuts last month on vacation.  Already got some green ones to try at home, so your thread is well timed.  

Phoenix 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I prefer green also. Dried will do. I always soak the dried ones overnight in water with a cup or so of white vinegar before cooking. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    In my opinion, green is the only way to do it. The peanuts you mention or larger and become available in late July as the Spanish (smaller red skins) fade out. This is really growing season generated. I prefer the Spanish, but you do get more nut for your effort with the the larger peanuts.

Timing is really impacted by the heat source you use. If you can get the temp up quickly, about and hour and a half of boil time will suffice. When I cook a bushel in a large pot, it generally takes me about 3 hours as the volume usually dictates a longer time to heat the water. I am a liberal salt user only. The best way to tell if and when they are done is to taste them. One very important step when cooking stops.....let them sit for a minimum of 30 min to soak up some of the liquid into the pods. An hour is better. 

Peanuts, beer and beautiful ladies dressed for the game.....it doesn't get better than that. Go Cocks!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I may be doing it wrong, but I let them go in a crock pot, outside, for the weekend. Start 'em on Friday and pick at them till they are gone.  I too use a crab boil bag.  I mix vinegar with the water and add salt.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I love some Cajun boiled peanuts! I need to whip some up.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Is there such a thing as "overcooked" with boiled peanuts?

I hadn't had any for a couple of decades, but I bought some for my son to experience on our recent trip to Louisiana and they seemed mushier than I remember.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Country caviar  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • northGAcock
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can overcook them....but they can also take a lot of cooking before reaching that point. The trick is to get them when they have just crossed the point of being done.....and then soaking. They can be frozen and dropped back into boiling water to reheat. They freeze well actually. I usually boil a bushel in the summer, bag individually amounts I eat......for football season. I didn't do them this year though.

As for Cajun or other flavor profiles....that is up to the individual. There is not a standard for flavor. I simply prefer salted. (Its a southern thing) Like the egg......explore and and perfect I say.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Thanks @northGAcock

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Apparently, these are popular with hipsters nowadays. My only experience with these was at a trendy restaurant last year. Didn't much care for them, as they were really mushy. I attribute that to the restaurant rather than to the concept (as I love peanuts and am an adventurous eater), but who knows.

Good hipster joke: 
    Q: How did the hipster burn his tongue?
    A: He drank his coffee before it was cool.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Apparently, these are popular with hipsters nowadays. My only experience with these was at a trendy restaurant last year. Didn't much care for them, as they were really mushy. I attribute that to the restaurant rather than to the concept (as I love peanuts and am an adventurous eater), but who knows.

Good hipster joke: 

I'm guessing you ain't southern
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Good hipster joke: 

No sir. But I love the South and its food. Boiled peanuts are not a big thing here.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    One of life's pleasures that I seemed to have missed for 54 years. At least I have something to look forward to trying. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

Good hipster joke: 

No sir. But I love the South and its food. Boiled peanuts are not a big thing here.
    Hard to beat on a cool rainy fall day. Reminds me of many fishing trips as a young man. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

Good hipster joke: 

I've never heard of boiled peanuts being served in a restaurant.  I only see them being sold on the side of the road by a near toothless man in a pair of overalls.  And trust me ... those are the really good ones!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Can you cook them in a pressure cooker?
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    Can you cook them in a pressure cooker?
    Yes.....about 20 min....I don't think they are as good though. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Recipie...always wanted to make my own.  Love to know your secrets. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Boiled peanuts are one of those things that are endlessly customizable. Anymore I prefer mine with salt, hot sauce, wooshire, garlic powder, and onion powder. Maybe some chili powder. If I have garlic or onion that needs to be used I'll throw it in too, whole. I have, when in a hurry, just thrown the peanuts in the water and worried about the seasoning the last hour of boiling or so. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Headed to GA this Friday for the weekend. Picking up a bag to boil Friday night so have to snack on Sat while watching football
    Boom
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Headed to GA this Friday for the weekend. Picking up a bag to boil Friday night so have to snack on Sat while watching football
    Were you the one who posted a while back about a local guy making cutting boards and other wood works? Is so, an you remind me who that was.

• Wardster
    Options
    Were you the one who posted a while back about a local guy making cutting boards and other wood works? Is so, an you remind me who that was.

Eric Albright?
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options

Here is my recipe for boiled peanuts. Hope you enjoy as much I do...

Ok.  I worked a couple of years to get this the way I like them.  I hope you like them too.   First some disclaimers.

I use my "large oyster steamer pot"  I have no idea how many gallons it is, but I can try to find out if you want.  But I think you could use any very large pot as long as the peanuts have room

My formula starts with a 1/2 bushel  of peanuts.  Just a little shy of 20 lbs.  But if your seller measures by pounds get 20.  

Wash them well.  I put them in a large cooler , fill with enough water to swish them around well and drain, 4-5 times.

Put them in a pot that they fill up about 2/3 full.  fill pot about 4 inches from top with water.  

Put in salt.  Bring to a boil .  They will want to boil over at first , (much like butter beans), Tilt the lid for the first 30 min to hr to reduce the chance of that.   reduce heat to a slow but very steady boil  ... don't forget , you will have to add water about every hour.  The nuts absorb it along with the salt.

and then follow this:

Boiled Peanuts

1/2 bushel green peanuts (usually just a little less than 20 lbs)
    3 cups salt (a little over 1 box of salt)

Fill up large oyster pot to the handle marks.  Boil for 5 hours.  Stir from bottom up every hour and add water to refill to original line.    Cut off heat.  Let stand for 1-1.5  hours.  Taste test frequently from about 4 hours cook time on in.   They are ready when almost all of peanuts have sunk to the bottom.

The soaking really brings in the salt.  Don’t over soak.  

and remember, don't have on the heat for 5 hours, BOIL for 5 hours for 5:30 if you like the shells softer.  It takes my pot about 30 min to come to a full boil

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Went to school in Southwest GA (near where the peanut growing former President lives) and we would always have a huge pot at the frat house on the back deck on the fish cooker.    One frat brother's family had the farm, another owned the gas company and the only expense we had was salt (and beer).   Many a memories of boiled peanuts!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Gonna try to find some raw peanuts and give this a try.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hub said:

I've never heard of boiled peanuts being served in a restaurant.  I only see them being sold on the side of the road by a near toothless man in a pair of overalls.  And trust me ... those are the really good ones!
    I see that exact guy everyday on my way to work. Working out of a beer cooler and a boiler in the back of his truck. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Maybe, I do love my cutting boards ha

Eric Albrecht <ekalbrecht@yahoo.com>

That is the local guy I used. He is based out of Midlands area of SC. I am actually going to see him next weekend to pick up another board as a gift for a couples shower. It will make the 5th I have bought from him. Super nice guy
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I am surprised so many on here know of Eric. Does he have a website or something? I met him at a crawfish festival a couple years ago and have been buying from him since. When I want to buy I either wait until crawfish festival or email him and go by house and get, like I am next weekend. 

That is awesome though. We also purchased a bowl from and few wine stoppers he made. 
    Boom
  • Wardster
    Options
    I got his name from this forum and believe it was you.  I'm down in Tampa and have bought 2 so far.  Very happy with his work and he's a great dude!  I will be buying more as gifts.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Come on Southerners. The traditional way in our neck of the woods uses ham hocks added to the mix. Just another layer of flavor, but really good. Haven't made these in ages. Thanks for the reminder.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC