Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No/low carb BBQ sauce? (Scott's)

I eat a very low carb diet which often leads to me looking for a low carb bbq sauce, mainly for pulled pork.  I've tried Walden Farms but didn't care for it.  Today, while searching on ebay, I found Scott's spicy bbq sauce with zero carbs.  I researched it and found it to be a North Carolina based company and that the sauce is a thin sauce made of vinegar and spices.  That sounds right up my alley, so I ordered two bottles.  Has anyone here tried it? Did you like it? Were you disappointed? I'm excited about finally having a good, no carb sauce, but I've often been disappointed in trying a new low carb product.  I am not affiliated with Scott's in any way.  I'm just seeking the opinions of those that have tried it.  I will post a review after it gets here.  I'm hoping it arrives in time for me to do pulled pork this weekend.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I make one similar to this, but use the Splenda brown sugar instead of white. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72922/carolina-style-low-carb-barbecue-sauce/
    Las Vegas, NV

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Do report. Too many sauces are basically sugar syrup at this point.

Work on your own. Oil, vinegar, salt, cayenne. Both black pepper and mustard have tiny amounts of carbs, but maybe you can ignore those.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I make many batches of "shack attack" which is a vinegar based sauce during the year. I always have a batch in the fridge and I also take swigs out of the bottle now and then just cuz.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I make one similar to this, but use the Splenda brown sugar instead of white. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72922/carolina-style-low-carb-barbecue-sauce/
    Wow.  That looks awesome.  It is now bookmarked on my pc.
  • Hub
    gdenby said:
    Do report. Too many sauces are basically sugar syrup at this point.

Work on your own. Oil, vinegar, salt, cayenne. Both black pepper and mustard have tiny amounts of carbs, but maybe you can ignore those.
    I totally agree.  You don't need a jar of sugar to taste good.  I'm a huge vinegar fan and have made my own sauce similar to yours.  I mainly use vinegar with cayenne and red pepper flakes, and sometimes add mustard and/or jalapenos.  But based on what I read the sauce is only good for ten days or so.  I'm not sure why.  I've never heard of vinegar going bad.
  • Hub
    HeavyG said:
    I make many batches of "shack attack" which is a vinegar based sauce during the year. I always have a batch in the fridge and I also take swigs out of the bottle now and then just cuz.
    You sound just like me.  I love vinegar based sauces and I love soaking vegetables in vinegar.  What do you add? Cayenne? Red pepper flakes?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Scott's is great. My favorite vinegar sauce besides homemade.
  • HeavyG
    Hub said:
    HeavyG said:
    You sound just like me.  I love vinegar based sauces and I love soaking vegetables in vinegar.  What do you add? Cayenne? Red pepper flakes?
    I use basically the same recipe I saw on the BBQBrethren site years ago:

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Black Pepper
    1 Tbs Salt
    2 Tbs Yellow Mustard (French)

the hot sauce I use varies - could be Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tabasco, Franks Red Hot, Texas Pete. I tend to use the ones like those listed that I can buy in bulk fairly cheaply. I'll sometimes use Cajun Zombie Lagniappe (love that stuff!!) but I really prefer that sauce as is so I don't tend to mix that in anything else very often. Or sometimes I'll just use red pepper flakes instead of hot sauce.

I often use "shack attack sauce" to quick pickle cuke slices and thin onion slices for sandwiches or burgers as I too like pickled veggies.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hub
    Thank you for the input.  Now I am getting excited.  I'm just hoping it gets here in time for me to do pulled pork this weekend.
  • Hub
    HeavyG said:
    Hub said:
    HeavyG said:

1/4 cup water
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Black Pepper
    1 Tbs Salt

the hot sauce I use varies - could be Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tabasco, Franks Red Hot, Texas Pete. I tend to use the ones like those listed that I can buy in bulk fairly cheaply. I'll sometimes use Cajun Zombie Lagniappe (love that stuff!!) but I really prefer that sauce as is so I don't tend to mix that in anything else very often. Or sometimes I'll just use red pepper flakes instead of hot sauce.

I often use "shack attack sauce" to quick pickle cuke slices and thin onion slices for sandwiches or burgers as I too like pickled veggies.

This is very similar to the recipes I've used in the past.  I prefer Texas Pete or Frank's.  Do you ever add red pepper flakes? How long does your batch last before you throw it out? I've read it is only good for ten days, but I don't understand how vinegar and mustard go bad?
  • HeavyG
    Hub said:
    HeavyG said:
    Hub said:
    HeavyG said:

1/4 cup water
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Black Pepper
    1 Tbs Salt

This is very similar to the recipes I've used in the past.  I prefer Texas Pete or Frank's.  Do you ever add red pepper flakes? How long does your batch last before you throw it out? I've read it is only good for ten days, but I don't understand how vinegar and mustard go bad?
    The longest I had a batch was a bit over two months. That's about how long it lasts - I always make at least a double batch.

It won't go bad. I have no idea why someone would think a vinegar sauce like that would only be good for 10 days. I mean it really takes a couple days for things to meld and mellow out a bit.

As I mentioned, I do sometimes use red pepper flakes and when I do I omit the mustard and paprika also so that it is basically just a straight eastern carolina sauce.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Hub
    I do a good bit of pressure cooking and/or partial pressure cooking. As you already know a liquid is required for this. Most folks use water, however I feel that this leaves food on the bland side. As such I have used Scotts and Georges with real good luck. They are both super thin and while not identical in taste, they are certainly comparable. I find both Scotts and Georges to be good "all around use" sauces. In the pressure cooking arena, they both certainly stand head and shoulders above water. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hub
    Thank you for the info SGH.  I had not yet discovered George's, but your positive comments make me look forward to my incoming shipment of Scott's.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    This.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Hub said:
    I eat a very low carb diet which often leads to me looking for a low carb bbq sauce, mainly for pulled pork.  I've tried Walden Farms but didn't care for it.  Today, while searching on ebay, I found Scott's spicy bbq sauce with zero carbs.  I researched it and found it to be a North Carolina based company and that the sauce is a thin sauce made of vinegar and spices.  That sounds right up my alley, so I ordered two bottles.  Has anyone here tried it? Did you like it? Were you disappointed? I'm excited about finally having a good, no carb sauce, but I've often been disappointed in trying a new low carb product.  I am not affiliated with Scott's in any way.  I'm just seeking the opinions of those that have tried it.  I will post a review after it gets here.  I'm hoping it arrives in time for me to do pulled pork this weekend.
    So did you enjoy the Scott's? Can't find it locally and have been thinking about ordering some myself. On their website, the more you order, the less expensive per bottle, but I don't really want to order half a dozen of something I wind up not liking. 
  • Hub
    I absolutely love it, but please understand I am a vinegar fan.  It is basically a spicy (black pepper kind of spicy) vinegar with a hint of tomato or something similar.  My sister is some kind of health nut that can't eat hardly anything, but she said Scott's passed her test and tasted great.  After I gave her a sample on pulled pork, she asked if I had a bottle I could give her.  I lied and told her no.  But I told her how to get her own!
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Hub said:
    I absolutely love it, but please understand I am a vinegar fan.  It is basically a spicy (black pepper kind of spicy) vinegar with a hint of tomato or something similar.  My sister is some kind of health nut that can't eat hardly anything, but she said Scott's passed her test and tasted great.  After I gave her a sample on pulled pork, she asked if I had a bottle I could give her.  I lied and told her no.  But I told her how to get her own!
    Thank you. I am a vinegar fan too which is why I was thinking I might like it. Being type 2 diabetic, it is hard to find good sauces that are not mostly sugar. I tried the Walden Farms stuff and had to throw it out. Will place an order soon, but I will share with my sister! She brought me some no-sugar added apple pie back from Pigeon Forge not long ago, so I should return the favor.
  • Hub
    Hub said:
    Thank you. I am a vinegar fan too which is why I was thinking I might like it. Being type 2 diabetic, it is hard to find good sauces that are not mostly sugar. I tried the Walden Farms stuff and had to throw it out. Will place an order soon, but I will share with my sister! She brought me some no-sugar added apple pie back from Pigeon Forge not long ago, so I should return the favor.
    I've tried Walden Farms and just couldn't do it.  It's amazing that they can make stuff with zero everything, but I just couldn't do it.  There is a HUGE difference in Scott's and WF.  I don't think Scott's attempted to be healthy and instead suspect it just happened that way.  It's thin, vinegary, and spicy.  I'm going to do a large reorder soon.  On a different note, if you are anywhere near the Atlanta area, I've recently tried Shane's spicy BBQ sauce.  It has about 8 grams of net carbs per serving.  It's not near as low carb as Scott's but it is good and is much lower than those sugary sauces that are all over the place.  I have a squirt bottle of Shane's, Scott's, and my own mustard/jalapeno based sauce in my fridge.  I really enjoy all three.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Arthur Bryant's is the lowest carb sauce you'll find. It's lower than vinegar sauces too.

You have to acquire a taste for it though. Must be at room temperature too for it to taste good.

I know people who have eaten it for 10 years and still aren't a fan. Others love it. 

Its different for for sure 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hub
    I found one of his "mopping sauce" jars a while back.  It was very low carb.  I didn't hate it but didn't really like it either.  I'd take Scott's over Bryant's any day.  But I would still rather do Bryant's over those bottles of sugar sauce.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I don't normally eat it with Q. Unless I'm at the actual restaurant. It is good for grilled chicken and sausages though. Should give it a try. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Arthur Bryant's is the lowest carb sauce you'll find. It's lower than vinegar sauces too.

You have to acquire a taste for it though. Must be at room temperature too for it to taste good.

I know people who have eaten it for 10 years and still aren't a fan. Others love it. 

Its different for for sure 

I don't think it is the lowest carb you'll find, since it does have carbs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SGH said:

"... they both certainly stand head and shoulders above water. "

Now that's an endorsement! 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Scott's is made very close to where I live and I personally like it. It is spicy but that is right down my alley.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    I'm playing around with this stuff called vita fiber (Aka IMO). It's big in the paleo community and is the "secret" ingredient in quest bars. It's super sticky (like oil), but might have a place in BBQ sauce (as a no carb, natural sweetener).