Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Kirkland meat?

There's a Costco where we live; a first for us. We took a spin around and their Kirkland meat looked interesting. Some of their beef was prime and I think some of the pork cuts were from heritage breeds. I've heard good things about Kirkland but the source isn't somebody I trust. Need the opinion of ppl that eat MEAT. How's Kirkland?
L BGE, XL appetite
Cape Coral, FL

Comments

• I have only had the BB Ribs, but they are good.
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It's excellent for sure and well priced brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I have no complaints with any meat I've ever gotten from Costco.  

One note - they do blade tenderize most of their steaks, so if you cook to rare/medium rare you might want to avoid cooking one of their steaks if you have a guest who may be immuno-compromised.  I've never had an issue with my family (40,39, and 8 - all healthy, thank goodness), but if I were cooking for somebody pregnant or undergoing chemo, I'd probably get steaks from a different store.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I will take a Costco steak over any local butchers steak I have found. Pick up some prime ribeye cap steaks if they have them at your store.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    They take the bones out of the pork shoulders, I don't like that. Other than that no complaints really like it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    DMW said:
    Acn said:

One note - they do blade tenderize most of their steaks, so if you cook to rare/medium rare you might want to avoid cooking one of their steaks if you have a guest who may be immuno-compromised.  I've never had an issue with my family (40,39, and 8 - all healthy, thank goodness), but if I were cooking for somebody pregnant or undergoing chemo, I'd probably get steaks from a different store.
    Or buy the whole subprimals in cryovac and cut your own steaks. They don't blade tenderize those.
    That works too.  That's the better deal too if OP has the freezer space.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    You will be hard-pressed to find better selection/quality at least for the rib eye caps and packer brisket (prime cut).  Their streaks look great but just be aware of the industrial Jaccard treatment as noted above.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Love Costco steaks. Not happy about the blade tenderized but haven't had any problems so far.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Used their prime packers for most every brisket cook. Have absolutely the best luck with my results, everyone loves them. The Salmon is good too. Tri tips - awesome, large cuts in prime can't be beat, pork awesome, poultry, awesome. Pricing is great. Occasionally they have a seafood road show of crab legs, shrimp, lobster, scallops, super reasonable, and delicious. BGE Nirvanna.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Great flavour, tenderness and consistency, in my experience. As others have noted, be aware that the steaks are mechanically tenderized.
  • mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Acn said:

Good to know! We both like beef very rare (and steak tartare is a real treat but only from a butcher I know and cut while I watch). I didn't know that blade tenderized is dangerous if someone is immuno-compromised! We aren't affect but a guest might be at risk.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • mikeinccfl
    edited August 2016
    Sounds like I'll be spending quality time at Costco :) Freezer capacity is limited so my options are limited to retail cuts, but a step up from grocery and some butcher offerings. Thanks all!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Costco meat rocks! I can buy prime there for what choice costs elsewhere. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hans61 said:
    They take the bones out of the pork shoulders, I don't like that. Other than that no complaints really like it!
    I agree 100%!  I won't buy pork shoulders from them but everything else is awesome!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• They have one of the best organic selections with their kirkland brand, which makes my wife happy. We have had their ground beef, chicken breast, chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, beef ribs, pork ribs, butts, pork loins, and brisket. We are all in due to price for smoking/grilling meats. The question remains, who will be the first to order this for their egg???

http://www.costco.com/.product.100082950.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP
    DArtagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast A-5 Grade
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• mikeinccfl
    They have one of the best organic selections with their kirkland brand, which makes my wife happy. We have had their ground beef, chicken breast, chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, beef ribs, pork ribs, butts, pork loins, and brisket. We are all in due to price for smoking/grilling meats. The question remains, who will be the first to order this for their egg???

http://www.costco.com/.product.100082950.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

LOL, I'll add it to my "someday / maybe" list.

L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Toxarch
    They have one of the best organic selections with their kirkland brand, which makes my wife happy. We have had their ground beef, chicken breast, chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, beef ribs, pork ribs, butts, pork loins, and brisket. We are all in due to price for smoking/grilling meats. The question remains, who will be the first to order this for their egg???

You pay for it, I'll order it and cook it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    I asked the butcher at Costco if I can get steaks there that are not blade tenderized. He said it is company policy to blade tenderize all the meat (not cryovac) and he can't give it to me if it is not. So we need to start writing them and explaining why it's a bad practice. There is no reason to blade tenderize Prime and Choice meat. And nobody in their right mind cooks prime steaks to 160+ degrees internal temp.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Their baby back ribs in the 3 pack are all I cook. The membrane is already removed and they typically have a ton of meat on them. Would highly recommend.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

Costco meat is excellent quality at a fair price.  There are 2 steak choices that aren't blade tenderized: filets, and rib eye caps.  Those are the only steaks I buy there.  Excellent tri tips, and pork.  I buy the bulk pack of prime tri tip.  It's just 5 or 6 tri tips, but the price is very reasonable.  They also have prime packers. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    You can buy their meats by the box.  You save a few cents per pound.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Costco is my go-to for most meat purchases, can't beat the price.  St. Louis ribs (membrane on) and Baby Back ribs (membrane off) are fantastic, tri-tip, packers, chickens, salmon...

Wasn't aware of the meat tenderizing practices for steaks.  No reason to do that, wish we could incentivize  them to change.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Sounds like a much better meat selection in the US vs Canada.  Only St Louis style ribs here are with some kind of marinating sauce which does not taste very good.  Never seen pork shoulder or brisket.

Steaks are great thought, so all is not lost.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • BigKize
    BigKize Posts: 24
    Have always heard good things about their ribs, yet I always forget about picking them up from Costco...maybe this weekend! Your question I hope is a good reminder for me.
    (1) XL Egg   (1) Weber Charcoal Performer   (1) Old Square Charbroil Charcoal Grill   (1) Char-Griller Duo   (1) Weber Smokey Joe 1987 vintage from grandfather  (1) Empty Wallet

• My winn Dixie had bone in Boston butts for .99 cents a pound the other day. bought 6 double packs. for what I would normally spend on one.

New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    EggNorth said:
    Sounds like a much better meat selection in the US vs Canada.  Only St Louis style ribs here are with some kind of marinating sauce which does not taste very good.  Never seen pork shoulder or brisket.

Steaks are great thought, so all is not lost.
    Each Costco region has their own rules about what they carry and the local store manager can't do anything about it.  Here in Pennsylvania they don't carry any grade of packer briskets and are just starting to carry a few types of prime meat cuts.  It also annoys me that they insist on blade tenderizing their non-cryovac meat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088

True story: last year my uncle almost pulled the trigger.  His father was a butcher, so he is a carnivore. Uncle has no kids and is 81. He was diagnosed with cancer last year.  He did well for himself and lives comfortably. He said he will know when it is time to buy it and he said he will have me cook it because he does not trust anyone else in the family to.  Right now he is doing well, thank goodness. 

Hopefully it is not going to be ordered for several more years, and honestly I do not want to cook it.

Personally, I do not think it is worth it, but if that is what he wants to do, who am I to say a word and suggest otherwise. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    tksmoke said:

Costco meat is excellent quality at a fair price.  There are 2 steak choices that aren't blade tenderized: filets, and rib eye caps.  Those are the only steaks I buy there.  Excellent tri tips, and pork.  I buy the bulk pack of prime tri tip.  It's just 5 or 6 tri tips, but the price is very reasonable.  They also have prime packers. 

In Orlando everything is blade tenderized that isn't vacuum packed including prime filets. The only cut that is not tenderized is flank steak. All others have warning labels.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I've never seen any warning labels on the steaks here in Jax and never noticed any physical signs of mechanical tenderizing on the meat. I'm buying the whole cryovac prime ribeye these days however and cutting my own steaks. 
    Jacksonville FL