Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti vs. RTIC The Oven Test

Options
Pour a beverage first so at least you won't be wasting 7 minutes of your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5Kryq62SQ
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I was waiting for him to miss with the hatchet and chip those nice countertops, not sure mom would appreciate that.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    feef706 said:
    I was waiting for him to miss with the hatchet and chip those nice countertops, not sure mom would appreciate that.
    That would have made my day...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I saw that video today and thought it was pretty stupid.  (and I like that show)

It's far from an even test...for whatever reason the RTIC lid melted, that's far from a use case, so they reached an unfair conclusion that Yeti is dominant.  Makes me wonder if they got some money from them.  Also would have been good to see them cut open multiple mugs to see if there were any construction differences.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • feef706
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I saw that video today and thought it was pretty stupid.  (and I like that show)

It's far from an even test...for whatever reason the RTIC lid melted, that's far from a use case, so they reached an unfair conclusion that Yeti is dominant.  Makes me wonder if they got some money from them.  Also would have been good to see them cut open multiple mugs to see if there were any construction differences.
    Well he was dumb enough to not realize he was buying am Rtic after searching Yeti on Amazon. The price alone should have been a flag.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Attention whores...

I don't see the point of the video at all.. You can already tell the kid will be about as goofy as his dad, but I keep telling myself this is "their" thingm, so kudos to a father son gig, no matter what it is.

They also didn't take into account the different sized cups, not one thing there matched up and had a baseline. Of course the volume would throw it off!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    feef706 said:
    KiterTodd said:

Well he was dumb enough to not realize he was buying am Rtic after searching Yeti on Amazon. The price alone should have been a flag.
    And his son grabs a hot tumbler right out of the oven...twice. This is not the Einstein family
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Man you guys hate seeing you're knock offs fail
  • feef706
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Attention whores...

I don't see the point of the video at all.. You can already tell the kid will be about as goofy as his dad, but I keep telling myself this is "their" thingm, so kudos to a father son gig, no matter what it is.

They also didn't take into account the different sized cups, not one thing there matched up and had a baseline. Of course the volume would throw it off!
    I'm not positive it's the kids dad, the kid calls him "Dan" in the videos. They very well may be brothers, I'm still convinced that is the parents house. Or maybe I'm in the wrong business.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    If you scroll through past video, they tear open a lot of interesting stuff.  They're not scientists, it's just a dad who started breaking stuff open with his son and filming it.  He had another show before this one.  And...here's the clincher, that show has 3.5 million subscribers.  They're probably clearing $500K - $750K on YouTube ad revenue alone on that thing.   (somewhere there is a website that let's you figure out revenue based on daily views... at their level, its no longer a hobby.  It's a living.  A good living... )

All that love aside, yeah, I thought this one was stupid.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Lit said:
    I own both.. same damn cups! Infact the slider lid for the Rtic is a favorite personally. I own moe RTIC coolers than Yeti.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options

feef706 said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Attention whores...

I'm not positive it's the kids dad, the kid calls him "Dan" in the videos. They very well may be brothers, I'm still convinced that is the parents house. Or maybe I'm in the wrong business.
    Make it creepier.... Maybe neighbors and they both have lived under powerlines for a while...
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • feef706
    Options
    FATC1TY said:

feef706 said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Attention whores...

Make it creepier.... Maybe neighbors and they both have lived under powerlines for a while...
    Well i wasn't going to that kind of extreme, but "Dan" in my mind isn't old enough to be Lincolns father but these days I could very well be wrong. 

Guess if if I was clearing $500k+ a year I wouldn't be worried about breaking a granite countertop either.
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    Stopped watching after 10 seconds.  Barf..
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Lit said:
    I agree wih you here. A lid that handles high temp oven heat is well worth twice the price.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    here's the clincher, that show has 3.5 million subscribers.  They're probably clearing $500K - $750K on YouTube ad revenue alone on that thing.   

@KiterTodd

Wow, thanks for pointing that out.  Usually there is a hot wife/girlfriend at that level - used at least for thumbnails.  3.5 mil subs for a father son is pretty dang impressive.

Phoenix 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Lit said:
    I agree wih you here. A lid that handles high temp oven heat is well worth twice the price.lol

There may be some truth to that in Texas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Lit said:

There may be some truth to that in Texas.
    You have a very good point...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    This video did not impress me.  I'm a bit miffed at all the research around these cups.  They are just drink holders ... that is all they are.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This video is highly relevant, as I was shopping for a tumbler with the specific intent of intentionally subjecting it to high heat in a convection oven until failure and now am left with no doubt as to which brand will perform best in said circumstances.
  • feef706
    Options
    This video is highly relevant, as I was shopping for a tumbler with the specific intent of intentionally subjecting it to high heat in a convection oven until failure and now am left with no doubt as to which brand will perform best in said circumstances.
    Nothing like they smell of molten plastic in the evening.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Smells like.......

Victory!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Smells like.......

Victory!
    Great Line.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Saw that video earlier. They don't clear that much money, but they are probably making a nice income. After a million views, you start getting about a penny per commercial viewed. Then it goes up a couple pennies after like 10 million views or something like that. It's not a ton of money like people think but it's pretty good money for a 10 minute video about something dumb.

I wish they would have cut open the RTIC as well and compared them. Saw another video where they bought an actual Rio Olympics torch and then cut that in half. At least they were smart enough to makes sure the fuel cannister was removed first. The torch was cool, cutting it open was not.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KiterTodd
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Toxarch, you're probably right.  I went to the calculator I had seen used for another youtuber.  I'm not sure what his yearly views are (What's Inside popularity exploded this past year), but at the 356M views listed for his channel, he would have cleared $260K if this calculator is accurate.  Plus any side sponsorship he may get.

In any case, I couldn't see where to find out the overall views per day.  (for all videos). I guess I could come back every day for a week and see how it goes up, but I'm not THAT interested.   (for what it's worth, at 10:AM EST on 8/16 he's at 356,566,880)

Fun channel.
    Stupid cup experiment.

LBGE/Maryland
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    This one seems a bit more scientific

https://youtu.be/H8gmT9tWv6g

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    This one seems a bit more scientific

https://youtu.be/H8gmT9tWv6g

That was a pretty good test process.
    What it shows is only slight change between a $30 cup and a $8 cup.
    The slight changes in testing most likely was due to the vacuum pressure it the specific cup or the location in freezer or the truck. If you tested 3 cups from the same company it probably would have been similar. All we are paying for is the name and hopefully the warranty. All the cups did fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    @Toxarch, you're probably right.  I went to the calculator I had seen used for another youtuber.  I'm not sure what his yearly views are (What's Inside popularity exploded this past year), but at the 356M views listed for his channel, he would have cleared $260K if this calculator is accurate.  Plus any side sponsorship he may get.

In any case, I couldn't see where to find out the overall views per day.  (for all videos). I guess I could come back every day for a week and see how it goes up, but I'm not THAT interested.   (for what it's worth, at 10:AM EST on 8/16 he's at 356,566,880)

Fun channel.
    Stupid cup experiment.

And then they get to give 1/3 of that to the IRS.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KiterTodd
    Options
    I think we need a new "Cups & Coolers" sub-forum.
    :lol:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hillary uses RTIC
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky