Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alabama White Sauce

2»

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Funny, I just had this for the first time last week at a new bbq spot here in town. It was served with smoked and then barbecued wings that were almost black. It was awesome! Thanks for the link to the recipe.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    now that you have found a white sauce you like, consider a chipltle version to wake it up.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1053290&catid=1 
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Is Alabama white sauce the same as the Moe's sauce?

Moe’s Original Bar B Que White Sauce

1 Jar Mayonnaise Heavy Duty

1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

1 Tablespoon Sugar

1 Tablespoon of our Rub

A Couple of Dashes of Hot Sauce

A Couple of Dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper

A Pinch of White Pepper

A Dash of Cayenne

1/4 Lemon,Juiced

Directions: Mix all ingredients in bowl and mix well until smooth. Make sure no lemon seeds or lumps

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    My friends from Alabama all tell me if it doesn't have horseradish in it its not Alabama white sauce.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    pflug said:
    Is Alabama white sauce the same as the Moe's sauce?

Moe’s Original Bar B Que White Sauce

1 Jar Mayonnaise Heavy Duty

1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

1 Tablespoon Sugar

1 Tablespoon of our Rub

A Couple of Dashes of Hot Sauce

A Couple of Dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper

A Pinch of White Pepper

A Dash of Cayenne

1/4 Lemon,Juiced

Directions: Mix all ingredients in bowl and mix well until smooth. Make sure no lemon seeds or lumps

I saw several recipes online, and no two were the same, but they were all similar.  Moe's sauce is very close but it's missing horseradish.  In the video earlier in this thread, Chef John added mustard.  I didn't see that in any of the recipes and it somewhat goes against the "white" sauce goal.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Hub
    I made my first batch last night and loved the sample, but tonight is my first time of having it with actual food.  I'm making my wife fried chicken strips and drizzling the white sauce on the chicken while providing a dipping cup of white sauce on the side.  For me, I'm deep frying some hot wings, tossing them in a very hot Buffalo Wing sauce, and then dipping them into the white sauce instead of using ranch or blue cheese.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    NonaScott said:
    My friends from Alabama all tell me if it doesn't have horseradish in it its not Alabama white sauce.

Absolutely true!!!   I have eaten plenty of BBQ in Alabama with my mom and 9 aunts, uncles, and cousins over the past 4 decades and the real "white sauce" has fresh horse radish.  :)
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    chris lilly made an appearance on paula deen's food network show.  that's going back some.  Here is what they have onsite for a recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe.html   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    man I completly forgot about alabama white sauce . . stuff is amazing!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    tjv said:
    chris lilly made an appearance on paula deen's food network show.  that's going back some.  Here is what they have onsite for a recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe.html   

I have eaten pounds of smoked meats from Big Bob's and Whitt's just down the street in Decatur, AL.  Our families particular tastes likes a lot more ratio of horse radish than in this recipe.  But the referenced receipe serves the masses, many of whom do not like "heat" in their sauce.  For you horse radish lovers, start with triple the prescribed amount and go up in small increments from there.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Smoker317 said:
    tjv said:

I have eaten pounds of smoked meats from Big Bob's and Whitt's just down the street in Decatur, AL.  Our families particular tastes likes a lot more ratio of horse radish than in this recipe.  But the referenced receipe serves the masses, many of whom do not like "heat" in their sauce.  For you horse radish lovers, start with triple the prescribed amount and go up in small increments from there.
    Yeah, half a t is weak. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Smoker317 said:

I've been to Big Bobs, but it's been many years ago.
    How is Whitts?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    tjv said:

t
    @Florida Grillin Girl wrote down the recipe while watching that FN show and posted it on the other forum a while back. It's not quite the same as what FN has up now and the video that was linked in her thread has been taken down (it had apparently had the quantities edited out anyway). Recipe here...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1365301&catid=1

One of Faith's pics from that thread...

I have seen umpteen recipes, all supposedly provided by Lilly and touted as THE Big Bob Gibson's recipe. They are all different! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• _Moose_
    _Moose_ Posts: 44
    As an Alabama boy, I can tell you we put the stuff on everything. It's best on chicken but we put it on pork, fried pickles, fried green eggs, a little on mashed potatoes (try it), etc. I'll vouch for your findings that it's a well kept secret down here...

MBGE, Blackstone Tailgater Grill/Griddle Combo

Outside Birmingham, AL

• @CarolinaQ, you have a great memory to dig out that old thread. The amount of different recipes from the same guy is crazy!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    tjv said:

t

I used this recipe this weekend on wings - first time I tried white sauce. I amped up the amount of horseradish.

They were a huge hit with the guests and my wife informed me all wings done from now on will be with this white sauce.

I really want to try it on other meats.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hub
    _Moose_ said:
    As an Alabama boy, I can tell you we put the stuff on everything. It's best on chicken but we put it on pork, fried pickles, fried green eggs, a little on mashed potatoes (try it), etc. I'll vouch for your findings that it's a well kept secret down here...
    As good as the sauce is I absolutely believe you.
  • Hub
    tjv said:

t

I used this recipe this weekend on wings - first time I tried white sauce. I amped up the amount of horseradish.

They were a huge hit with the guests and my wife informed me all wings done from now on will be with this white sauce.

I really want to try it on other meats.

I hear you and completely agree.  Two weeks ago I had never heard of the stuff.  Now I'm putting it on practically everything and trying to resist drinking it with a straw.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I made a batch of the ones in Faith's link above. Next time I would do less vinegar. I also added a little hot sauce, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce. Chopped up some spatch chicken finely and mixed with some white sauce and some stone ground mustard tonight for a chip dip. Pretty sure this could be good with pulled pork also.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    What brand of mayo is recommended for this sauce? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hub
    What brand of mayo is recommended for this sauce? 
    A friend of mine is a professional chef.  She told me that anytime a recipe calls for mayo .. always get the whitest, highest quality mayo you can find.  Pass if it is the least bit yellow.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Dukes mayo, hands down.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokeyw said:
    billt01 said:
    Actually, I believe Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson's developed this sauce and it have many derivatives today....but yes...it is very very good... 

Actually it was Big Bob Gibson himself that developed this. Chris married his daughter. You can find the recipe online.
    Lilly is married to big bob gibsons great grand-daughter. 

Little Rock, AR

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    bgebrent said:
    Dukes mayo, hands down.
     I am from Michigan  and Hellmann's is by far the best in our area, Dukes is not available here, have you tried them both?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Hellmann's has always been the best available here in the Northeast. But it has changed formulations or something recently. It is not the same(and not as good) as it used to be. Can make my own for about 20% of what store bought costs and I always have the ingredients on hand. Dukes is not sold here.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim