Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs anyone?

Options
flyerdoc
flyerdoc Posts: 141
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Have not done slow cook ribs for ages and ages...and I don't even have a good reason why! We are having a big get together this weekend and I wanted to do some buy my better half suggested I do a test run. I'll be cooking up some baby backs on Saturday, but could not get a single "test" rack for workout purposes, so I went with a rack of spare ribs. Not as meaty and certainly more fat, but thought it would give me an idea of my skills.

So I did the pre rub night before. I caved and went with a commercial rub and let it sit overnight in saran wrap. Today I got it out and brought it to room temp before starting the egg and getting a good read on 250F. Then I placed the rack on a rib rack which was over an aluminum tray filled with a can of Foster's for some moisture. No tin foil tent though... not sure if i'm going to use one saturday but I degress... Oh, I did layer in some dry hickory wood for smokin'

Slow cooked for 7 hours at an average temp of 250F and brushed on some BBQ sauce at hour 6. I did not open the lid until hour 6 and then at hour 7 to remove the rack, here are the results:

I have to say, while there isn't a ton of meat on those bones, what was there WAS delicious. Disclaimer: I do not advise eating a rack of these before a fasting Blood Cholesterol test!

Comments

• flyerdoc
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Make that sparE ribs, lol!
    EDIT: ok figured out how to correct topic headline...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking ribs brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Great cook- I find they take a little longer to get to the "pass the toothpick" test than BB's.  When I buy spares I trim to St louis cut and use the flap meat as cook's treat or into a pot of beans.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook- I find they take a little longer to get to the "pass the toothpick" test than BB's.  When I buy spares I trim to St louis cut and use the flap meat as cook's treat or into a pot of beans.  FWIW-
    Hmmm, still have that flap meat (didn't realize it was called that!) in the fridge, its calling my name tonight I do believe :)
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    OK, on to the second cook, this time with baby back, problem, needed to do 4 racks of ribs on a medium egg...solution:

tier them ribs...

This JUST all fit on the egg with that top tier really close to the top of the dome. I thought I might get some burnt areas but it all came out rather good. Maybe a little more cooked up there, but nothing burnt.

Ready to chow down!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Congrats-with that approach you can work with anything.  Banquet for sure.  Way to adapt and get the job done.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    After a week to think about it, I believe I prefer the spare ribs. I expected to enjoy the baby backs more, but them spares have me hooked. So I guess that means in a previous life I'm from Kansas and not Memphis?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'll save you a step. No need for the "room temp" foolishness. 

Put them on cold. Better smoke ring (same smoke flavor tho), and less orchestration 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• flyerdoc
    Options
    I'll save you a step. No need for the "room temp" foolishness. 

Put them on cold. Better smoke ring (same smoke flavor tho), and less orchestration 
    That's interesting, I've never seen a suggestion for putting them on cold, ok, I'll try that. Anything for a better smoke ring, I wonder why it happens that way...

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Roasts and steaks, you want an even cook. 

Barbecue? The thing is on for hours. Warming it up achieves nothing

a reminder too. Smoke ring had nothing to do with smoke flavor. It's just cosmetic

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     Smoke ring had nothing to do with smoke flavor. It's just cosmetic

This is akin to lipstick on a prostitute. It sure is appealing and pleasant to the eye. But it in no way represents the quality of the end product. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• flyerdoc
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
     Smoke ring had nothing to do with smoke flavor. It's just cosmetic

This is akin to lipstick on a prostitute. It sure is appealing and pleasant to the eye. But it in no way represents the quality of the end product. 
    LOL, I really am learning something everyday here...so anyway, the question now is, although it is established that the smoke ring is eye candy, will it also attract prostitutes? If so I will have to make room for another rack... :blush:  so to speak.