Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New MiniMax All 3/8" S/S Cooking Grid Has Arrived!!

Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
This is a fantastic cooking grid for my MiniMAX. I have been wanting on ever since got my MiniMAX.
I had sent my CGS MiniMAX Woo, with handles, so he would make it to fit with my Woo.
I had 3 MinMAX and 1 medium made.
And a damn fine job he did.

Thanks for looking,

Side by side with the standard grid

Without my CGS Woo

With my CGS Woo with handles

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Man thats nice. I need to get me one. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Ooh - that's sweet!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks nice. 

"On the next episode of Pimp Yo' Max!"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Wow, I like that a lot. Just wonderful. I'll bet that will turn out a great Tri Tip, for sure. Congratulations. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bling bling! 

Any specific benefit to having a beefier grid?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Ok. Sign me up. Seriously. Is he willing to make more?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Pretty sweet man. I thought of welding some handles on my WOO or CI grid. I haven't used the OE grate ever (have had the CI grid from day 1). Enjoy the mod bud. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Pretty sweet man. I thought of welding some handles on my WOO or CI grid. I haven't used the OE grate ever (have had the CI grid from day 1). Enjoy the mod bud. :plus_one:
    It is sweet....but like yourself....I do cast on my MM as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hotch
    Thanks guys. I also have the HiQue luxury grid on my large and absolutely love it. I think better than cast iron. They have thermal mass like cast iron but never rust, never have to season it and clean them in the dishwasher. Both should last forever.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Hotch sorry to stray from your OT. I've never had a CI grid or pan corrode. Quite possibly because it stays inside the egg & pans etc inside a cupboard. Back to your originally scheduled program.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I'm with @Jeremiah i still havent pulled the trigger on a thicker grate
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch said:
    Thanks guys. I also have the HiQue luxury grid on my large and absolutely love it. I think better than cast iron. They have thermal mass like cast iron but never rust, never have to season it and clean them in the dishwasher. Both should last forever.
    Hotch said:

Hotch said:

Hotch said:
    Thanks guys. I also have the HiQue luxury grid on my large and absolutely love it. I think better than cast iron. They have thermal mass like cast iron but never rust, never have to season it and clean them in the dishwasher. Both should last forev
    What is the HiQue luxury grid, what is the cost for one on a Large and where can you get it?  Can it be used with the AR?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    It continues. :|
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2016
    That is nice. All my grates are SS but none that thick. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @Hotch sorry to stray from your OT. I've never had a CI grid or pan corrode. Quite possibly because it stays inside the egg & pans etc inside a cupboard. Back to your originally scheduled program.  
    The grids will rust pretty fast actually if you do a high heat cook then let them sit. This is my mini grate right now.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Bingo.

The Woo is where you want to be with the small and MM, with a nice preheat.

Common sense stuff here.  If you drop CI in a blazing hot fire, it will rust.  This is when you want SS, when hells searing directly above, pretty much in, the fire.

They both have their place, and another area where I think Meathead is flat out wrong.

@pgprescott's CI is a fine example of what you need to do.

Looking at the Craycort one piece for the smalls on the Woo.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hotch
    What is the HiQue luxury grid, what is the cost for one on a Large and where can you get it?  Can it be used with the AR?
    This is my HiQue Luxury Grid for the large.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    I had the MiniMAX grids made by Michael at Michael's Custom Grill Works.
    Naked Whiz did a product test and review some 3 years back.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Lit "high heat and let them sit". Sit where?  If I leave my CI pans outside or grid outside of course they'll gain surface corrosion. Especially in the sauna like Florida summer. If inside the egg with dome, chimney and lower vent closed I haven't had this issue. Pretty sure if plastic could corrode it would given the chance in FL :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Looks great!  Looking forward to getting mine!

I have struggled with rust on my CI.  Cooking at high heat burns off the seasoning and rust sets in quickly.  I have to clean them right away and season them with oil when they cool  a bit to prevent that from happening.

I have a couple of CI pans that are my babies.  I don't cook with them at extreme temps and I baby them.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Just ordered one too. He seems like a nice guy. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    @Lit "high heat and let them sit". Sit where?  If I leave my CI pans outside or grid outside of course they'll gain surface corrosion. Especially in the sauna like Florida summer. If inside the egg with dome, chimney and lower vent closed I haven't had this issue. Pretty sure if plastic could corrode it would given the chance in FL :tongue:
    That grate was inside my mini in the garage when it started rusting.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    My grate and CI skillet both rusted stored in my mini as well. I need to bring em back.
    Seattle, WA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited July 2016
    @NPHuskerFL I have the same problem as @Lit I can shut down after a high heat cook and within a week it would look like a rust bucket even when sitting inside my house, if I don't use spray oil during the cool down.  I now keep all my CI in that big metal box in the kitchen.  We do live a mile from the beach so that doesn't help 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    @lit @McStew @SkinnyV :i_dunno: guess I'm lucky on this perplexing problem. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    Jeremiah said:
    How much how much
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Would warranty cover those items due to the rust? I just bought a grate for my MM
    Austin, Tx
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Lit said:
    Jeremiah said:
    How much how much

This.... Ball park would be nice don't be humble ...
    Seattle, WA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    looks like you are all set now......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.