Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers, Direct or with Plate Setter?

I have always cooked my burgers using the plate setter.  Should I skip the setter and go direct? 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Direct
    Jacksonville FL
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Smash burgers on a cast iron skillet. I don't think I'll ever make another kind of burger. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Yes. Or they will cook but turn out like small meatloafs. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited July 2016
    I used to use the plate setter for burgers and changed to direct a few months back and the results have been better.  400'ish 3.5-4 minutes a side works for me every time now, but I cook pretty thick burgers too, 1/3 to 1/2 pound. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Forget the plate setter.  Get you a large cast iron skillet that fits on your egg.  Do this ... I promise you it will be the best burger you have ever had in your life ....

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=smash+burger&&view=detail&mid=B020765099550F0ADB05B020765099550F0ADB05&FORM=VRDGAR
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Raised direct, if not you're bound to burn some arm/knuckle hair!  

Cast iron sounds good too.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Personally I would remove the platesetter however, if you are pleased with the results with it in then continue on. It's all personal preference. 
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Pull the platesetter.  You won't get a nice crust with it in there.  Also, I'd recommend trying the smash burger method.  Takes the taste of the burger to the next level.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I cook mine just like @KennyLee. Never before have I been as happy with my burgers. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I like smash burgers, but to me, they're not as good as a thicker burger charred a bit on the outside and pink on the inside.  They're sort of apples and oranges -- different things that are hard to compare.  But it simply isn't true that ALL of us prefer smash burgers, or that once you try one you'll never want anything else.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I go direct, no raised grid, no indirect stone, ( platesetter)
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Lots of ways to make a burger, depends on the desired result. IMO the toppings help determine the cook. If you plan on using lettuce, tomatoes, onions etc... A direct grilled or CI fried burger with a nice crust is ideal. For something like a Cajun burger topped with blue cheese and served with frizzeled onions, an indirect roasted burger is best.
    Variety, still what makes life worth living.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    The problem with smash burgers for me is if I have to make a bunch of them. I can only fit two at a time in my skillet. After the first two there is some leftover grease from the first ones and they don't really stick. I also had difficulty keeping it as hot as I wanted because I was opening the dome and flipping / pulling every couple minutes.  
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Raised Direct

Have never considered Indirect for burgers. Cast Iron, yes. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    I always go direct. 500 degrees, 4 minutes per side = medium.
    These are thick patties, 1/2" - 3/4".
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • clemsontyger97
    clemsontyger97 Posts: 390
    edited July 2016
    Direct for sure.   Or as others have already noted, smash a 4oz very loosely formed ball as thin as you can possibly get it in a 500ish degree CI.   Happiest moment of my life after birth of kids.   :joy:
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I had CI smash burgers for the first time last week, and that will probably be my go-to method.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I like smash burgers but I make mine thicker than most here. I use about 1/3 pound for one and don't smash it as thin as most. Just my preference.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have always done burgers direct until I found GrillGrates.  I did some burgers this weekend and used my GrillGrates and that was a lot better then going direct and lot less flair ups.  They give good grill makes and I don't have to have the egg so hot.  I had the egg at 400 and the GrillGrates were at around 550 to 600.  The tongs work better then the spatula so if you get some invest in the tongs.  I got mine from my dealer for XL.  Here is their website.

http://www.grillgrate.com/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2016
    The Smashburger franchise uses a 1/3 lb loosely formed meatball smashed to 1/2" thickness so that's what I've been doing. I smash with a plasterers trowel on a 1/4" steel plate on my Weber kettle. Smashing is my new go to method for burgers. I've done them on a CI griddle on the stovetop too, but my exhaust fan's not good enough! Never heard of using a platesetter. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I have always done burgers direct until I found GrillGrates.  I did some burgers this weekend and used my GrillGrates and that was a lot better then going direct and lot less flair ups.  They give good grill makes and I don't have to have the egg so hot.  I had the egg at 400 and the GrillGrates were at around 550 to 600.  The tongs work better then the spatula so if you get some invest in the tongs.  I got mine from my dealer for XL.  Here is their website.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

The backside of my grillgrate is what I use to do my smash burger. It works great!
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    just did my first smash burger in cast iron skillet.  I'm sold.  Love the crust.  way better than grilled. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Direct.  ½ lb burger, 450°-500°, 3½-4min/side
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    On the Egg I cook direct at 500* dome. Grill temp is much higher as the fire is red hot. 4" 1/4 pound burger cooks in less than 2 minutes. If making cheese burgers have the cheese by your side as there is not much time to run to the fridge to get it.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I go direct. I like a sear on my burgers.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    JethroVA said:
    just did my first smash burger in cast iron skillet.  I'm sold.  Love the crust.  way better than grilled. 
    Yeah!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Got lots of good advice above - really depends on thickness of the burgers. You know the rest...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf