Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stripped / Spinning Hinge Screw Help

Options
Hey folks - I have been doing a big clean and much needed refurb on my BGE (Cleaning burn, new gasket, new smokeware chimney cap). 

In changing my gasket, I removed the bands as the BGE video instructed. However, in the process of loosening the hinge screws, I noticed that 2 of them were just spinning in place instead of loosening. I think these would "hold" but in the interest of putting everything back better than it originally was, I'm curious what I should do here. I've had no luck holding the inside screw to be able to tighten (or loosen) the nut on the outside - just spins and spins no matter what direction I go.

I've attached a picture of the screws in question. Any experience or tips for how to deal with this? 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    can you get vice-grips on the head of the stud and somewhere on the bracket coming off the hinge that will still give you access to the nut? That would probably give you enough grip to get the nuts off. I'd replace the studs if it were mine. Probably something you'd have to get from BGE dealer unless a fastenal would caring them. I'd take the easy way and just drill them out from the knurled side of the stud.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    They are knurled. The pressure against the egg forces the knurled portion of the stud to grip. It should work fine if the band is tight to the ceramics. If not, your dealer should have plenty sitting around, they send extras with every hardware package in each egg. We give people stuff like this all the time, that's why we keep everything around. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @pgprescott - it is called a clinch stud, is it not? My MBGE came with an extra set my dealer threw in - reading this post reminded me to go and look in a drawer in my cook shack to see if I could still find them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • json2001
    json2001 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the help! Sounds like @pgprescott is leaning towards strapping it all back on and hoping they are held into place with the pressure and @Skiddymarker & @ColtsFan are leaning towards replace. 

I think since I already have everything off I'll opt to replace. I will contact my local dealer. @ColtsFan if I do have to resort to drilling it off, which side is the knurled side? Drill from what would be inside the BGE or from the outside?

Thanks again.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not sure those are the original nuts. They have been cap nuts for quite a while, I think. I would grind it off carefully if it were me. If you get a new stud, get the cap nuts too. Good luck man. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    @json2001 Drill from the inside that way you can hold the stud on the nut end with a wrench. It shouldn't take much to knock the head off that stud letting it fall through the band.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• json2001
    Options
    Shockingly they ARE the nuts that came with my BGE so many years ago. It's been a LONG time!

I'll make sure to ask for acorn nuts. Thank you.
  • json2001
    Options
    Thanks for the diagram @ColtsFan. Super helpful.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    By the looks of your picture, the stud on the left has enough head sticking out you may grab it with vise grips and just take the nut off. The ridges/knurles on the clinch stud are on the underside (band side) of the stud head. Another option is to use a cut off wheel on a Dremel and groove the inside (egg side) of the clinch stud head. Holding it with a screw driver while you take the nut off. First, I'd try to get vise grips on the stud head and band and try to wrench the nut off. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    If you can't get it to break loose that'd mean it's tight. I'd leave it on until it gave issue personally. That being said, if you want to replace, I agree with the others to drill the back of the stud off. Should be off in two minutes easy!
  • json2001
    Options
    So my nearest BGE store doesn't stock this part. I'm going to call around, but does anyone happen to know the size of cinch bolt I would need to order?

I don't want to buy a brand new spring assembly! Yikes!

Thanks
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would remove one of the bolts that's not spinning and take to my local hardware store to see if they had any in stock.
    (btw, my BGE has the bands welded on (13 yr old Egg))
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    no idea of size, but Fastenal should have them.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut