Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To foil or not to foil. Need advice

I put on a whole pork shoulder this morning at 7:20  @ 225-240. it was already cut into a picnic roast and Boston but when I opened up the cryo- it is now 11:55 and I'm at internal temperature 154 I don't plan on eating till six should I foil at 160 internal temp. Then bring it up to  internal temperature  195. Or should I just leave it on the egg and let it come up by itself and by 4 o'clock if it stalls for to long then foil it and finish.  What do y'all think. 
New Orleans, Louisiana. 
XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    it's all up to you. i never foil and I cook around 275. I like lots of bark though. I wouldn't pull it at 195 though, I'd just start probing for tenderness at that point. If it starts taking too long, just crank up the temp. If you want, you can foil too. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2016
    I don't foil either unless I'm holding it for a number of hours before I want to serve it.  I'd crank up the heat to finish it when you want it done.  The last butt I did I cooked it at 375 F dome and it came out beautiful!  Pork butts don't care what temp their cooked at, they always come out good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    If it is in two pieces, address each of them separately.  One may be done before the other.  You don't say the wright of the meat, but if it took you almost 5 hours to get to 154, I'd probably open the vents a little and cook at a higher temp from here forward.  And if not close to the finish line by 2 or so, I would foil.  I like to finish at least an hour early and hold it in FTC (foil, towel, cooler) until time to pull.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I don't foil either, bring the heat up if you want to finish sooner.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Foil gives meat a steamed taste to me and I don't like it.  Let it go.  If it isn't done just bump up the heat.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Ok thanks y'all. Bumping up heat now. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I've tried foil to rush a cook and it has always come out bad. You had over six hours left before supper, when you posted. What is temp now?
    Cooking on the coast
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I always foil. I know it is controversial here because it does not allow for the crunchy bark that many people here like. That being said, I am a competition cook. I personally don't know any competition teams that do not foil. And they are all trying to produce the very best barbecue that they can. If you know what you are doing, you can add another layer of flavor at the foiling stage. I personally feel that crunchy bark is overrated. To each his own.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    stichrunner ...what did you end up doing, and how did it work out for you??

Post some pics of the finished product !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stichrunner

Ok sorry it took this long to get back with yall. I bumped the temp at 12:28 from 235 to 300ish. Was toothpick ready at 3:54.

I have now cooked butts with foil and with out and I think the ones I wrapped in foil with apple juice and apple cider taste better. I think the internal meat has more flavor.

We made pulled pork tacos that night with fresh made guacamole.

I did smoke gouda pulled pork bbq pizza the next night and it was amazing. I cooked around 450 to 500 for about 11 minuets.

New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

Ok sorry it took this long to get back with yall. I bumped the temp at 12:28 from 235 to 300ish. Was toothpick ready at 3:54.

I have now cooked butts with foil and with out and I think the ones I wrapped in foil with apple juice and apple cider taste better. I think the internal meat has more flavor.

We made pulled pork tacos that night with fresh made guacamole.

I did smoke gouda pulled pork bbq pizza the next night and it was amazing. I cooked around 450 to 500 for about 11 minuets.

The foil definitely holds in moisture and speeds the cook. I'm not a purist I guess. I don't always foil, but I don't hesitate to do so if it benefits my timing. It also gives you opportunity to add flavor profiles as you stated. 
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    I always foil to speed up the cooks. I usually foil around an internal temp of 120-150. I will place the meat in a pan and cover with foil. Once my meat is at the desired temp, I will pull the foil off, drain the juices, and place the pan back on the smoker to firm the bark back up a bit. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I only foil if I need to get pork butt or brisket done in time for a meal, other wise I let it ride.  The only thing I foil on a regular basis is ribs.

@stichrunner, do you inject?  I find it adds a lot of flavor without wrapping.  I did wrap a brisket point this weekend for 30 minutes to get it done so I could make burnt ends for a party.  I will post later on it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stichrunner
    yea I injected with apple juice and apple vinegar with a little dizzy dust mixed in. im thinking on doing a brisket this weekend. will be my first time. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I always go turbo with pork butts. No foil necessary, great bark every time. I cook indirect at 350 grate temp. I've cooked 10 butts in 8 hrs. I see no need to take twice as long to produce the same product. I'm sure some will argue if it's truly the same or not, but mines pretty darn good. If I want it any better I'll go to a real BBQ joint!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    I always foil right when the butt reaches 190-192.  Then I place in the dry cooler.  I've left them in the cooler that way for 3-4 hours before, they always come out perfect.  Do what works for you. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I always go turbo with pork butts. No foil necessary, great bark every time. I cook indirect at 350 grate temp. I've cooked 10 butts in 8 hrs. I see no need to take twice as long to produce the same product. I'm sure some will argue if it's truly the same or not, but mines pretty darn good. If I want it any better I'll go to a real BBQ joint!
    Do you really find no difference between turbo and low & slow?  Don't know what I'm doing differently - I've always had a noticeable difference in moisture between the two.  But turbo is in the cards sometimes just due to convenience anyway....
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I never turbo or foil.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    @NorthPilot06 I have not. Now, after my first turbo, haven't gone back as i don't see a need, but I have found the meat to be super moist. There may be some veins of fat that don't render completely deep in the meat, but I haven't found that to be a problem either. For me, it's just a simple technique with that is very repeatable. I do FTC for up to 4 hrs often, so maybe that helps as well.

My thoughts are if you have something that works for you, stick with it. If you're not happy with results, tinker and try other suggestions. I truly believe no one technique is best for all. In different hands, locations, meat qualities, other options may work better. I just like share what works for me.      
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    @xiphoid007 Ah, now that you say it, the 4-hour FTC must be the difference.  I always spend my disposable income on eggcessories...I have yet to buy a $30 cooler.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...