Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I go to far? Etiquette!

Options

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I think its cool to strike up a conversation... Just don't ask him for his pizza dough recipe... :)
    That is when all hell breaks loose. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Unfortunately there are some people you want to hide in the basement and never let them interact with the public.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Guess you could have asked "what size is yours" to break the ice. 
    Showing is usually a better ice breaker.  Everybody loves to look at pictures.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Geez. Now we have to be politically correct to talk to someone at Krogers . 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    it's funny. I tried to share the love with the rest of my sales team and they look at me funny. Some were curious and asked about the egg but once I started to explain how it cooks you could see there eyes glaze over. I even posted the local eggfest and not one perrson asked me any questions. I have since quit trying. If peop,e ask me what I'm doing on the weekend and they look interested at the response I will add a few details and see if they bite. I laugh when they all talk about their newest latest greatest gassers they got a good deal on at the big box store. Or when they complain about buying a new one. Usually though if I see someone picking up lump or looking at other ceramics I will try to strike up a conversation. Sometimes it works and sometime They just don't tune in. I don't think nagative of them I just smile and tell them to have a good day. It truly is there loss. I hardly ever turn away a conversation where I can meet someone new and learn something. I agree with others. I would rather put myself out there and meet new people and deal with the 5% who give me strange looks than never talk to strangers.

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    He was probably just upset that you weren't interested in buying one of his t-shirts.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    Great comments! Funny!
    Just to clarify I am from North East NJ now in Texas.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Musta been the accent. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am not shy about saying hello to a stranger or make a friendly comment or offer a compliment. I think that's why they call it a neighborhood or that we live in a community or society. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You striking up a conversation probably didn't startle him but, the assless chaps well...  :lol: 
    Serious note.... Some people aren't social butterflies. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    When he looked at you stunned you should have said --- " sorry, wrong person. I thought you were Bruce Jenner". 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am the only person at work that has an egg, but everyone there knows that I am an egger. They ask about it, and want to see pics. Every now and again I take some food down for them to try. 

One of them will become an egghead eventually. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @johnkitchens agree^^^^ if asked I'll talk about it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You fing kill me Carey! :rofl: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...and then I'd do this

Options
    @JerseyTex ... your screen name hints that you're a Texan relocated to New Jersey.  If that's so, then you need to forget all you've learned about relating to folks ... don't wave, don't smile, don't make eye contact, don't say hi, don't approach a stranger and act polite.  Yes I know you do that stuff in Texas, but in New Jersey that stuff makes you just plain suspect.
    It is the other way round .
    My nick name is Jersey (Born and raised In Hudson County)
    I now live in TX
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    JerseyTex said:
    It is the other way round .
    My nick name is Jersey (Born and raised In Hudson County)
    I now live in TX

thanks for clarifying.  was on tenterhooks here for the past 15 months!
    LOL LOL LOL I have not been here in a wile LOL

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It's kinda like if you see someone and you're wearing the same shirt, it's okay to point it out :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    You were not out of line, but remember that salesmen will sell a BGE to anyone. What they do with it is their business. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    JerseyTex said:
    Great comments! Funny!
    Just to clarify I am from North East NJ now in Texas.

That sound like a move in the right direction...  BTW, do you think Chris Christie is an egghead?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Neighbor has an XL egg. Doesn't want to talk bbq.  Oh well. Move on and cook.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @jerseytex. I had a very similar thing happen to me.   I went to a guys house off the Craigslist in response to a nest for sale. He had it waiting in his front courtyard.  We talked for a minute and he said he was selling it because he had just put in a new outdoor kitchen. I was happy for him, and said "that's great,  can I see what you did?".  The guy was obviously weirded out.  I was laughing the whole drive home.

Clearly owning an egg doesn't make you an obssesive egger.  I think this forum does that.

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Definitely went too far. How dare you?!  ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    This happened over a year ago. 

Move on
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    JerseyTex said:
    I was shopping buying some ribs on sale. I pick them up then headed to the produce to get salad stuff. I am in the produce section I see a guy with a cart with a print out in his basket of a big green egg recipe. So I started talking to him asking him "What are you cooking" He looked at me as if WTF and he just kinda continued to look at me. So I then said how long you got your egg. I dont know if I startled him or what.

My question is did I go to far? Should I have ignored him when I saw the BGE recipe? What is the Etiquette?
    As long as you didn't hug or kiss him you were well within the parameters of friendly conversation.  Nice work!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't think you went far enough in English grammar class.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    This happened over a year ago. 

Move on
    Yes but it was worth revisiting just to see @nolaegghead's comments and photo...
    New Orleans LA