Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fastest way to cool down quickly when too hot?

Options
2»

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    So are you talking about you, your egg temp or food temp?  Just curious. 
    It's gotten up close to 78 here where I am in Canada. Sweltering. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    gmac said:
    So are you talking about you, your egg temp or food temp?  Just curious. 

I hope you'll be able to struggle through.  

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:

The first thing I do is remove all of my clothing. If I happen to be already naked (and there is a good chance of that) I get under the water hose. 
    Bet the neighbors love that sight of you running through the garden hose nekked!
    Ron, trust me when I say that it's a beautiful sight my friend. My nakedness is next to Godliness =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @SGH do you play the bongos
    Brother Mick, I had to google bongos. Had no idea what it was. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    gmac said:
    I was talking me, not the egg.

I'm jealous - I'd love to spend August in Canada in a place like that. 

Serious question:  
    What Canadian cities stay the coolest in the summer and would be an interesting place to vacation and explore? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    gmac said:

Serious question:  
    What Canadian cities stay the coolest in the summer and would be an interesting place to vacation and explore? 

I may be biased, but anywhere in the Canadian Rockies is beautiful and not generally hot.  You'll see some of the best scenery anywhere in the world.

Phoenix 
  • gmac
    Options
    blasting said:
    Sweet100s said:
    gmac said:

Serious question:  

I may be biased, but anywhere in the Canadian Rockies is beautiful and not generally hot.  You'll see some of the best scenery anywhere in the world.

Agreed.  
    I would also suggest Quebec City for old world architecture and decent food. Calgary is really nice and if you fish has some of the best flyfishing in the world, seriously top10 for sure. Plus it's close to the Rockies which as stated are incredible. 

Of course Toronto has some great stuff if you like cities but it's like all the big cities. Montreal too. 

Coolest?  Probably Iqaluit on Baffin Island but I have no stats to back that up. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Two Beers!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Nanaimo, BC around the bath-tub races to Vancouver.  Also Victoria, BC; and this from a Yank.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    Two Beers!

Two beers will not even work up a good belch for me =)

Status- Standing by.

• gmac
    Options
    SGH said:
    Two Beers!

Two beers will not even work up a good belch for me =)
    I'm with Scotty.  That's breakfast.
  • gmac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nanaimo, BC around the bath-tub races to Vancouver.  Also Victoria, BC; and this from a Yank.  
    I have never been so I didn't want to say.  I think that's more @skiddymarker territory.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @gmac -  you are right about being in @Skiddymarker 's backyard.  First stumbled out of Nanaimo in the mid seventies and then when more responsible (SWMBO and kid in tow) went back for the summer season festivities.  Great town and great times.  At least thru the fog of beer and age.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Victoria is the "capital" of BC, typical government town, they have some great brew pubs catering to the tourists and government employees with disposable income. Spinnakers, Swand, Phillips etc....
    Bath tub races don't run anymore from Nanaimo to Vancouver, I think they lost too many "tubs" and the organizers would not pay to keep the coast guard on standby to pull the survivors out of the salt chuck. They do have races in the Nanaimo harbour basin. Cool event. 
    Vancouver area has to be among the most moderate for temps, today is around 21ºC and that is seasonal. Nanaimo is a quick 20 minute float plane ride or 90 minutes on the ferry, Victoria is about 2 hours on the ferry and 30 minutes for the float plane ride of your life, they land in the inner harbour, great experience.
    Whistler is a two hour drive, great mountain biking, golf and food in the summer. It can get hot as you are away from the ocean. Last count we had some 170+ breweries, way too much craft to deal with. 
    http://beermebc.com/bc-breweries/
    Good luck 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Skiddymarker -  sometimes life just passes us by.  Regardless, I'm sure still a party time.. World championship belly flop contest still there or has that been retired as well?  And yes that all was a few decades ago...   ;)
  • gmac
    Options
    Victoria is the "capital" of BC, typical government town, they have some great brew pubs catering to the tourists and government employees with disposable income. Spinnakers, Swand, Phillips etc....
    Bath tub races don't run anymore from Nanaimo to Vancouver, I think they lost too many "tubs" and the organizers would not pay to keep the coast guard on standby to pull the survivors out of the salt chuck. They do have races in the Nanaimo harbour basin. Cool event. 
    Vancouver area has to be among the most moderate for temps, today is around 21ºC and that is seasonal. Nanaimo is a quick 20 minute float plane ride or 90 minutes on the ferry, Victoria is about 2 hours on the ferry and 30 minutes for the float plane ride of your life, they land in the inner harbour, great experience.
    Whistler is a two hour drive, great mountain biking, golf and food in the summer. It can get hot as you are away from the ocean. Last count we had some 170+ breweries, way too much craft to deal with. 
    http://beermebc.com/bc-breweries/
    Good luck 

But if @lousubcap and I wanted to take a tub across, no one would stop us right? 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    gmac said:

Serious question:  
    How about spending August exploring Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I've never been there but hope to some day. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker -  sometimes life just passes us by.  Regardless, I'm sure still a party time.. World championship belly flop contest still there or has that been retired as well?  And yes that all was a few decades ago...   ;)
    Guy that owned the Dog's Ear T-Shirt store had the belly flop and cannonball contest, do not know if it has died out or not. This is the 50th of the tub races, it is in July and there is a limit of one to a tub, so @gmac you guys would have to have your own tubs, and no, no one would stop you from trying. You should know that 5 to 10 foot swells with breakers can happen, making it a nasty crossing. I think Lou is used to the smoother under the surface running. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - The GWN equivalent of US Coast Guard was quite active for the event.  Many never cleared the Nanaimo harbor but the true zealots seemed to fair quite well. And yes it was a challenging ride but a great weekend.  Definitely outside the normal tourist lines and well worth it.  Thanks for the chance to reminisce.  
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    XC242 said:

How about spending August exploring Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I've never been there but hope to some day. 

re: Maine

I was hoping to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate 
    $USD --> canadian

Else Maine would work - my favorite 'mountain' is there - Cadillac Mountain @ Acadia National Park.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    XC242 said:

re: Maine

I was hoping to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate 
    $USD --> canadian

Else Maine would work - my favorite 'mountain' is there - Cadillac Mountain @ Acadia National Park.
    When the exchange rate is good, Canadian money is like Monopoly money. And apparently they don't tip up there so when we force a tip on them, we get incredible service. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Back in my soccer days an old coach told us to pour cold water on the inside of your wrists- vein side-- when really hot. I have done it so many times I don't know if it is mental or a science to it but cold water on the wrists is always my first move to date. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Chubbs - I agree with that move.  BTW- catch any of the UEFA matches?? That Germany-Italy shoot-out was pretty weak in the execution of the kicks by world class athletes. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    gmac said:

Serious question:  
    Banff and Jasper NP are awesome 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    When the exchange rate is good, Canadian money is like Monopoly money. And apparently they don't tip up there so when we force a tip on them, we get incredible service. 
    Funny, that's what we say about US money. We do tip here, similar to the States IMO, maybe I'm mistaken. 15 to 20% of the bill before tax is typical on the left coast, some use 25% and exclude both tax and alcohol - booze is expensive as it is controlled by the provinces. Canada has a ton of East and South Asian immigrants and they have the reputation of not tipping as it is not their culture. Has also been my experience that many, not all, Quebecer's do not tip as well. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If you want to see some of Canada, I'd recommend Ottawa, the National capital. Sure, it's a wee bit sleepy, but beautiful, and you have Toronto, Montreal (great city for food and culture), and Kingston all within a 5 hour drive. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    This may sound weird, but right after my Father graduated from high school in 1927 he got a labor job with a rail road laying track. One day in the heat of the summer the foreman noticed that in spite of the hard work my Father was doing that unlike the other men he was not sweating! The foreman yelled loudly at dad, scaring him while running at him with a heavy brown "army" blanket. Upshot was the foremen knew dad was going to have a heat stroke or something worst since his body was not perspiring! He made dad sit there wrapped in the blanket until suddenly his body became soaking wet! He was fine after that!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Heat index 112 and higher in these parts tomorrow. Find some shade, drink lots of cool water and a cool shower. If it's the BGE, less air and wait for a couple of hours.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The humidity makes it very difficult to cool off.    115 and dry gives you the chills when you get out of the pool.   
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    Gin and tonic, quite frankly. Enough of those and 'thinking' won't be an issue. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015