Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inability to do 2 zone cooking on a round kamodo?

Options
2»

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I hace the ceramic grill store ang-l brackets for this      check their website
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I hace the ceramic grill store ang-l brackets for this      check their website
    I have an XL and use this quite a bit.  It's a great tool to bank the coals for making two zones.
    Flint, Michigan
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

True two zone is why I keep my weber performer (kettle).  It remains my go to for grilling (please don't kick me off the forum).  When I want even heat, I use the egg - roasting, baking, smoking etc

Maybe an XL is different though, I've never cooked on one.

Phoenix 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Very rarely do I "grill" and not use the dual zone method on my XL.  The lump reducer sits in the middle for direct cooking and the edge of the grid acts as the indirect area for things like potato wedges, corn, etc.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never tried 2-zone in my large, but I don't see why this wouldn't work. Weber's charcoal rails (set of 2, $7+) plus the charcoal grate for a 14" Smokey Joe (Fits in a large egg just fine, I'm using one now, also about $7). Place one of the rails wherever you want it and bank some lump on one side.

Might fit the High-Que or Fishbones grates too, but I don't know the bar spacing.

Pic from "OldDave". Found on Google.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/OldDave/media/WSM Cooking/DSC02616.jpg.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Previously I mentioned Kamado Joe's Divide & Conquer set-up, and TurboStream's fire bowl divider and alternative 2-zone set-up (half-circle basket for hot coals). You Tube has both, I believe. I'm at the point where if it isn't delivered right to my door, I'm not going to go to different places looking for fire bricks, charcoal rails, different size grids, etc.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ...if it isn't delivered right to my door, I'm not going to go to different places looking for fire bricks, charcoal rails, different size grids, etc.
    Try these guys. They will deliver all of those things. Right to your door. =)

Never tried my charcoal rail idea, but if I ever figure out why I need two zone cooking, for 7 bucks, I'll give it a try

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Carolina Q: Don't believe it, HD charges a lot for shipping. You have to spend a minimum to get it free, beyond what I'd be spending. And they don't carry a lot of these toys on the website.
    Judy in San Diego
  • tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
    Two zones on XL is no problem at all, and with no extra equipment needed.  Just push all the coals to the back.  The idea that the Primo oval is better because it has two zones is inaccurate if comparing the big Primo to the XL.  XL has more surface area too.
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    LBGE low heat then toss on 650° mini max!
  • GratefulJason
    GratefulJason Posts: 37
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That's a good article and a decent assessment of the kamado cookers.

I get why they like the Primo, but personally, I'd rather have an egg and a weber than a Primo, the only real advantage of which is the two-zone fire. Several in this thread have already mentioned the reason; the ambient temp on ceramic grills is too high to create a true hot side-cold side situation like you can get on a thin-walled aluminum kettle. 

Serious Eats recently put out an overview of kamados, and Kenji echoed a lot of what Meathead said. But I took exception to this subtle dig at non-primo owners; "Most round-kamado aficionados concede that their best way of creating different heat zones is by moving foods closer to or farther from the fire. This is done with various deflectors and rack systems that can be costly and awkward to manipulate."

Changing the proximity to the coals is a super effective way to control the char if not the temperature; I count it among the most important advantages of a kamado. I love cooking wings raised direct and finishing with a sear on the lower grate. It's easy to blister corn in the husk right near the coals, then let it cook through and pick up just a hint of color farther away from the heat. 

And am I alone in feeling that popping out a heat deflector isn't all that difficult, provided you have a decent pair of gloves? The platesetter is a bit bulky, but it still takes about a minute to yank it out. And that's a worse-case scenario. I often use just a small pizza stone to dampen the direct heat. Works great for reverse sears and to calm things down if the bottom side of your spatchcock (I do mine raised direct) is picking up a bit too much char.