Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Mobile XL Users out there??

Options
OK, so most folks who know me, know I am getting into Mobile Egging for Fundraisers for my ministry.

I've been transporting my XL on the table nest, strapped down to prevent movement. No problems thus far other than stress and shot nerves from worrying. 

Does anyone else transport their XL around ?  I eventually want to go food trailor or truck...I'll have to find the "perfect" transportation method.

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    You are a far better man than I, Donnie, in so many ways. I freak out having to move my XL around on my patio, I can't imagine long term transport, without some sort of winch and secure docking stations.
    I admire your desire, and your work. I hope you find the perfect hauling system.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I built my table with D-Ring "hold downs" on all four corners, so it rolls on my trailer and I can use 4 nylon tie downs when transporting.  I may end up removing the 4" wheels and converting it to 8" pneumatic tires which would make rolling it on/off a trailer much easier! 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have seen @MeatChurch travel with a LBGE, he might be able to tell you how he carries it around.  From looking online, Big Moe Cason of Ponderosa BBQ he just would strap them down to his trailer for completion.  I myself am wanting a stand alone smoker like a GoodOne Marshal for doing catering or contest.  They run around $2400 though so that will be a while.  I would just make sure they don't shift during transport and pad it if you can would be my guess.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    littlerascal56..No issues with egg bouncing around in table opening?

I like the eyebolts on legs of table idea, but I am worried about egg movement inside table opening. 

I am thinking about getting the insulators at work to custom build me a couple of padded 'cushions' to sit the eggs on in their table nests. Then there would be no issue with egg bouncing or coming into contact with table nest when hitting a pothole or RR Crossing. 

• MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    I have seen @MeatChurch travel with a LBGE, he might be able to tell you how he carries it around.  From looking online, Big Moe Cason of Ponderosa BBQ he just would strap them down to his trailer for completion.  I myself am wanting a stand alone smoker like a GoodOne Marshal for doing catering or contest.  They run around $2400 though so that will be a while.  I would just make sure they don't shift during transport and pad it if you can would be my guess.

I have ours in a Challenger Designs cart ratchet strapped to a wall in the trailer. Works great. I've seen several dealers use Eggs in a nets with moving blankets using ratchet straps and cinder blocks around the nests.
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    Love the idea of pneumatic tires @littlerascal56

If you carried a small DC compressor, you could take some of the air out once on the trailer and that would provide great cushion for the ride, then just fill them back up to unload and move around on both ends of the trip.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    I'd get an Akorn for transporting----Leave the ceramics at home...I believe they have a 22", not a BGE, but certainly functional
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Guy at Butt Blast had his table mounted to a skid with larger tires.  Pretty nice rolling over things.  I placed my large and med on my trailer last weekend in the table and used many straps to keep it down.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Eggs are awesome. But they suck at traveling. It can be done, but you need a really good relationship with your dealer for all the warranty parts. Ceramics just don't travel easily/well.  I ended up buying a trailer smoker for this purpose.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Eggs are awesome. But they suck at traveling. It can be done, but you need a really good relationship with your dealer for all the warranty parts. Ceramics just don't travel easily/well.  I ended up buying a trailer smoker for this purpose.
    If I had to do it often, I wouldn't.  Lol.. It was a PITA getting that stuff on my trailer.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    And I'd make sure the ramp to the trailer is pretty resilient.  If you do the trailer thing, I'd put a winch inside to aide in pulling the table inside.  It would also help with lowering it out, using the wench to act as a brake. 

I'd definitely go with the bigger tires on the table like was mentioned above.  Look at the "Grill-barrow" think on Google......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dldawes1
    Options
    I like the Challengers !!  Cheap too...only a couple grand per egg table...!!!!!

Back to the fundraiser world !!!

I could get by pretty cheap...only about $3k per XL Egg !!!! But compared to a commercial oven in a restaurant...not too bad !!

What am I thinking...Edith would kill me !

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's an old thread that has our pictures of our traveling set-up. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156989/transporting-eggs-back-and-forth We travel with 3 Large and 1 XLarge.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dldawes1
    Options
    I reviewed the thread mentioned above...Thanks SMITTYtheSMOKER !!

I wonder if Henapple would make a good Egg troll...he's from TN !!

I am asking my friend to give me a price on building me a couple of carriers like what is available for the mini's. I have attached a pic. I think this would be perfect. I am having an insulater at work make me a couple of custom insulated cushions for the eggs to sit on inside the carriers. 

I'll use cardboard and/or towels inside for the internals during travel until something better comes along.

Thanks folks...ya'll are the best.

Donnie

• dldawes1
    Options
    Could there be any issues with an XL sitting on a 3" thick insulated "cushion"?

I got a piece of material-covered insulation ( sufficiently rated for heat, and sufficient to eliminate vibration and possible ceramic damage) that I am thinking of sitting the egg directly on it, on the trailer bed. Then I can strap down the egg and when I leave an event, I can restrap without moving the egg on and off the insulation.

Any comments?

• MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    I never posted our Challenger cart for the Large.....
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team