Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Help

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Tspud1 said:
    You can add a small instant hot water heater under the sink if needed. Think about drainage or do a grey water tank under sink. What about a slide out LP tank or do you have gas plumbed to site?

The sink will be up against the back wall of the house so I plan to just plumb hot/cold/grey water to from the basement. 

I have a 500g propane tank for heat/HW and am considering having my HVAC guy plumb the grill/side burner/Blackstone directly off of it instead of having to hassle with 20# tanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited June 2016
    nth78 said:
    more countertop space.  You need a place to stage meat for smoking, pizza for rolling and well you just cant have enough countertop space outside
    I would ditch the pizza oven.  There are two eggs which make really good pizzas.
    After some thought, I have decided to follow your advice and ditch the Forno Bravo. I forgot to include the Blackstone in my sketch so obviously I have some changes to make. 

My HVAC guy just got back to me and gave me a ballpark of $6-700, so I'm gonna go that route instead of hassling with swapping out tanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    So I have ditched the pizza oven and made a few other changes.  I am not installing a fridge but will reserve space for a dual tap kegerator.

Please give me some critical feedback before I start construction.

Thanks.

Stairs will be coming down from the front left part of the deck where the gap in the railing is. I didn't bother finishing the railing on the sides of the deck - you get the idea.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    edited June 2016
    I'm liking the way you think.

I'd probably skip the ice chest in favor of more counter.  I'd vote for only the Blackstone in the propane powered category..  
  • CTMike
    SWMBO's price of admission to the outdoor kitchen club was a gasser for her to cook burgers and the like for the grandkids while I am at work. Who am I to argue?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    What do you do to keep the blackstone from rusting?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    CTMike said:
    So I have ditched the pizza oven and made a few other changes.  I am not installing a fridge but will reserve space for a dual tap kegerator.

Thanks.

Stairs will be coming down from the front left part of the deck where the gap in the railing is. I didn't bother finishing the railing on the sides of the deck - you get the idea.

CTMike said:

Thanks.

Maybe slide that one Egg down into that corner?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    see what it looks like with an egg on either side of blackstone and moving gasser to where the eggs are
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I am so envious of those with an outdoor kitchen.   Soooooo nice.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @VanDawg38 honest question - is that beer really foamy? I have a kegerator, that I'm currently using as a beer fridge, but due to the uninsulated tap the beer was foamy. I would think that outside tap may have a similar issue.
  • CTMike
    BYS1981 said:
    @VanDawg38 honest question - is that beer really foamy? I have a kegerator, that I'm currently using as a beer fridge, but due to the uninsulated tap the beer was foamy. I would think that outside tap may have a similar issue.
    Many people take some coils of copper tubing and run it from the lower portion up into the tap tower to provide cooling - (copper is a good conductor of heat - copper in the lower portion gets cold, eventually all of the copper gets cold which removes heat from the tap tower).

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    grege345 said:
    see what it looks like with an egg on either side of blackstone and moving gasser to where the eggs are
    Great idea Greg. I will see how it looks with both Eggs angled in the corners on either side of the Blackstone and put the gasser where the Eggs are, and post up the results for comment. 

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Grege345,

Did you line the area under and around your blackstone with anything other then wood?

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • @ctmike. How difficult was the learning curve on that software program?  
  • CTMike
    @ctmike. How difficult was the learning curve on that software program?  
    Not too hard at all. Download Sketchup and watch a few YouTube videos - you'll be alright in no time. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I'm looking at trying to do this in the next five years but know very little about anything so take my thoughts for what they're worth. I would'nt build in anything that might break down and that doesn't need to be built in. When something (Egg, gasser, griddle, etc) needs repair, replacement, cleaning or an upgrade I want to easily be able to get at it, lift it, or move it if needed. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    rcone said:
    Grege345,

Did you line the area under and around your blackstone with anything other then wood?

I was wondering the same thing. Most cooking equipment needs a clearance from a combustible surface. I guess Blackstone gets away from that because it is supposed to be used outdoors. Is there clearance rating on serial tag?

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    CTMike said:
    BYS1981 said:
    Many people take some coils of copper tubing and run it from the lower portion up into the tap tower to provide cooling - (copper is a good conductor of heat - copper in the lower portion gets cold, eventually all of the copper gets cold which removes heat from the tap tower).
    Or they will run a fan to circulate air.  Mine has an aluminum sleeve that runs into the tower to help chill the lines and a fan to keep temp uniform in fridge.  Seems to work pretty well.   
  • CTMike

Well,

It's been awhile but I finally got the concrete poured today, obviously I'm no concrete finisher. The concrete truck couldn't make it to the backyard so I had to move 1.75 yds (~ 6300#) using the wheelbarrow in the background. Feeling it in my back now. 

Once this is cured, I will lay some Trex decking scraps flat on the concrete and then start building the islands using steel studs. The Trex keeps the steel up off the concrete to prevent/minimize corrosion from standing water. Once the skeleton is framed in, it will get skinned with Durock and then covered with veneer stone. 

I'm looking forward to getting this done.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • XC242 said:
     I would'nt build in anything that might break down and that doesn't need to be built in. When something (Egg, gasser, griddle, etc) needs repair, replacement, cleaning or an upgrade I want to easily be able to get at it, lift it, or move it if needed. 
    I agree with that. If the base of one of the eggs develops a crack (which happens) it will need to be picked up out of the hole. The large would be bad enough, but I surely would not want to pull out an xl. Plus, every year we get older.
    Other than that, I am very envious.
  • CTMike
    Here are a couple of screen shots based on the final measurements of the slabs. I know there isn't much counter space between the gasser and the Blackstone, but I wanted to gas appliances on that leg, as the propane tank is to the right of the deck (when facing the sliding glass door) to minimize gas line install costs. I am willing to live with a lack of counter space on that leg. 

In the back leg against the house is a commercial SS triple sink that will be plumber directly to the H/C/Grey water lines in the basement.

The Mini-max will have a home midway between the Large and the sink. The bar/handwashing sink between the Large and XL may or may not happen. Would be nice for a hand wash sink but I only have so much counter space. 

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Yea, I looked into doing that with the tap, and I just figured as an outside kegerator something would have to be done. I may put mine back into operation one day, but I have a CO2 leak that I need to address. Fortunately, morebeer is about 15 minutes from me.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @BYS1981. More beer being that close would surely end my marriage, ha the egg and its accessories is bad enough!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Just my 2 cents but maybe think about a gas griddle with a heavy gauge cover instead of the grill. The cover can be used as a prep area. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CTMike
    Just my 2 cents but maybe think about a gas griddle with a heavy gauge cover instead of the grill. The cover can be used as a prep area. 
    The wife demanded a gas grill as the price of admission to the outdoor kitchen club. She wants to be able to quickly cook burgers and dogs for the grandkids when I am at work. There is a 36" SS Blackstone to the left of the gas grill on the leg next to the deck.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited September 2016
    Decided to play around with the design a little more, moved the XL to the unused  corner, and added the kegerator. I'm thinking this is pretty close to my final iteration.

The MiniMax will sit to the right of the hand wash sink. I will likely recess it some so that the felt line is at countertop height like the other two.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • If the actual build is going to be like this, it appears that there is not enough room to slide the xl out. I would put the large in the corner. If your egg base develops a crack, and you have to lift the base up and out, the large will be much easier to lift. 20 years from now I imagine that an XL base will seem like an XXXL.
    Sweet setup. Where will the TV go? 

• CTMike
    If the actual build is going to be like this, it appears that there is not enough room to slide the xl out. I would put the large in the corner. If your egg base develops a crack, and you have to lift the base up and out, the large will be much easier to lift. 20 years from now I imagine that an XL base will seem like an XXXL.
    Sweet setup. Where will the TV go? 

Good point, I will likely swap the Large and XL. I don't currently have any plans to add an outdoor TV, I currently have a Sonos setup outside and would rather listen to music.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    My 2 cents. I would keep all the cooking devices away from the deck where you and your guests will be chilling. Looks as though it will be epic no matter what. Good luck.