Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To those of you that use fruit woods

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
I was reading on fruitawoods website that they recommend storing the fruit woods in a cool damp place or the chunks will be pretty much useless after a month or so they say. 

No way am I going through 15lbs of wood chunks in a month.

Where do you guys store yours and is it really necessary to keep them in a cool damp  place?  I have been keeping them in my challenger cart, however here in the Kansas City area it gets brutally hot and humid and extremely cold. 

Should I just keep them in my garage, or keeping them inside my challenger cart is fine ? 

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That sounds like complete bs.  You obviously don't want them in a moist environment where mold can grow on them.  I just store my smoke wood in milk cartons under my egg table.
    Options
    That sounds like complete bs.  You obviously don't want them in a moist environment where mold can grow on them.  I just store my smoke wood in milk cartons under my egg table.
    So the extreme humidity down there doesn't effect the longevity? I mean, I assume I'll finish them in a few months time.  They just kind of make it sound like it's necessary to store it below 50 degrees or it will be useless pretty quickly. Which that's impossible here, unless it's winter. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just finished up using a bunch of oak and pecan that I chopped up two years ago.  Didn't notice a difference from when it was green vs 2 years old.  Maybe my palate is dull.  
    Options

I'm with @nolaegghead  in that I think that is simply false.  Maybe they are trying to sell more wood?

While I don't experience the humidity, we get hot - REALLY hot, day and night for at least 4 months.

I store my apple wood outside in a bucket under my prep table.  I have noticed no ill effects.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have bought Peach from Fruita. Opening the box upon arrival, I was greeted with a powerfully peach wood aroma. I had purchased western peach at Cabella's of which there is no comparison in quality, quantity, or value. 
    I store mine in a cardboard box in my garage that is warm and dry. I have had the Peach about 6 months. The aroma is not as strong, however, the flavor from the smoke is magnificent. 
    I plan on ordering more, different varieties, as my supply dwindles in the others I keep.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is interesting.  On their site they basically recommend storing them in a refrigerator.  I just store mine outside in a deck box but I have just been buying the grocery store variety like Western.  I think they are kiln dried so it doesn't matter as much.  

The fruitawood folks seem pretty serious about it.  

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/stfrwoch.html

PLEASE REMEMBER: These ideas are for our FRUIT WOODS, and not the hard woods. We have seen on different forums where folks have given us the high end of a BS Meter. This is because they assume, that we are talking about all our woods.

Remember our FRUIT woods are cut from wood that is in a climate controlled building. This increases the moisture life in the FRUIT wood. The more natural moisture in the FRUIT wood the better flavor you will get. Your box of FRUIT wood will last longer as well. The chunks/splits wont burn up in 10 minutes like bagged woods do. Our Fruit wood will smoke for 30-40 minutes before you will need to add more to your fire box.

And thats NO BS. I dont care whos meter you read.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I store apple wood under a patio bar that has a fabric surround on 3 of 4 sides. It gets wet occasionally if it storms, but I haven't noticed ill effects in the 90* Indiana sun and humidity
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Note that they are saying the wood smokes longer than 10 minutes while in the fire box. They are assuming an offset cooker, which is entirely different than an Egg. Eggs don't need wet wood, they donr need wood in special containers.

My experience using uncured fruit woods is minimal, largely because the difference from dried is so slight as to be near unnoticeable.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    i live in a house that's almost 80 years old.  whenever i cut into a stud or anything thicker than plaster lath, i can smell the wood like it was cut yesterday.

wood is frigging wood.  it doesn't magically go 'poof'.

any volatile compounds, the good smelling stuff, remains entrained in the wood.  you might lose some at the surface, but your wood doesn't become useless.

there is a tendency to try to make this all mystical and magical.  all the stupid theories and ideas passed around without thinking for ten seconds about how stupid it sounds.

does wood change over a couple months? yep.  become useless?  no friggin way.

how does this jive with two champion barbecuers, one arguing to season the wood a year, the other using it fresh?

moisture in wood is NOTHING but water. when it is gone, all the flavors, sugars, esters, etc. remain

when you dry age beef, the water leaves, but the flavor remains

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fresh wood will steam out the cut ends, because wood is a lot like a bunch of straws, they pull moisture from the roots to the leaves through these 'straws'.

I've used apricot, peach, grape, and apple as well as the nut tree hardwoods.

The grape I cut myself took more than a year to use up, if there was a difference between "fresh" grape and 'seasoned' grape I couldn't tell you. Other woods I've purchased by the chunk, day of cook, from a basket of wood that had been there for an unknown and un-cared about amount of time.

Maybe it's like wine. Some people can tell you that this wine, upon swirling the glass and sniffing, has an "earthy chocolate note" or some other wine snot phrase.

I can tell you it was red and it got me buzzed. Not calling BS on anybody, maybe it did have an earthy chocolate note that escaped me, I'm just keeping it "real".

Perhaps the Fruita folks are like smoke sommeliers, I'm more of a "don't care" kind of smoker. Maybe it's "more better" when it's kept dry in a cigar humidor or in a Tupperware container in the wine cellar, but honestly - if your palate can't tell the difference, don't worry about it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I have a single garage in my walkout basement.  I store my wood in the large plastic cat litter buckets each labeled with the type of wood.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Maybe it's like wine. Some people can tell you that this wine, upon swirling the glass and sniffing, has an "earthy chocolate note" or some other wine snot phrase.

I can tell you it was red and it got me buzzed. 
    Love this! A man after my own heart!! :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Note that they are saying the wood smokes longer than 10 minutes while in the fire box. They are assuming an offset cooker, which is entirely different than an Egg. Eggs don't need wet wood, they donr need wood in special containers.

My experience using uncured fruit woods is minimal, largely because the difference from dried is so slight as to be near unnoticeable.

I think @gdenby has it. Son cut a peach tree down a few years ago and gave me some. It is in a zip lock bag stored in my outside kitchen. Continues to work (smoke) just fine. He still damps his a bit for use in his offset or Weber kettles/SMC. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    @DieselkW smoke sommelier, I like it. 

Las Vegas, NV

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I think it is BS as well.  I keep all my smoking wood in my desk box and haven't notice any issues or less of a flavor lose per say.  I am trying to buy smaller bags when I do replenish my supply.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Picked up a bunch of wood from Fruita last year. I keep it in closed plastic storage bins in the garage and in my Egg shed on the deck. Still works great.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Sounds like they just want to sell you more wood. Reminds me of the 8yr mattress replacement folks...
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    After a long thorough debate with myself and reading comments. I have decided to keep my wood where it currently sits. Out in the heat ;) 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Now I need a temperature controlled humidor for my smoking wood? Maybe I'll set it up next to the rare vintages I stock in my wine cellar. This Q'ing game is getting expensive.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Food fridge, beer fridge, wood fridge. Doesn't everybody have those? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    The only wood chunks/chips I've wondered about aging well are those from whiskey barrels, mainly because part of the "flavoring" doesn't come from the wood itself. Otherwise, I have plenty of wood that's stored in a garage that gets very hot and very cold with no noticeable degradation. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I don't mind using fruit wood while it's green and fresh. It does have a more robust flavor. As it fully cures and the moisture all leaves it produces less smoke. But I would think it would be hard to distinguish much difference in an egg. In an offset, the lack of flavor in over cured wood is distinguishable.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that their best practices encourage frequent, repeat business 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA