Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heady Topper

Options
2»

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the above beers yet, but it seems a lot of microbrew IPA, and others is a contest to see how much hops can be stuffed into one can. Lots are so bitter and taste like your sucking on a pine cone. It seems to be all the rage, but I just don't get it, maybe its just me. 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I've noticed over the years that you either like the hoppy, bitter taste or you like the malty more sweet beers. I do like both but I tend to go hoppy most of the time. The thing about heady, at least to me, is that it had a real hoppy nose and taste but that bitterness never really hit you. Pretty amazing for a double IPA. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used to be able to find Pliny at the local whole foods - not anymore.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I'm a hop head  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Oh beer - This craft beer madness has consumed me.  Always on the lookout for the next great beer.

Had the heady - very good.

Some others to look for that are really good

Sip O Sunshine (Lawsons Finest Liquids, Vermont) (Favorite now)
    Ninja Vs. Unicorn (Pipeworks brewing Chicago)
    Lizard King (Pipeworks brewing Chicago)
    Captains Daughter (Gray Sails, Rhode island)
    Supernaut (New England Brewing)
    Double Fuzzy Ducks (New England Brewing)
    Lunch (Maine)

Garnerville, NY
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Still very jealous... Southeast has some fine IPA's but for a HOP HEAD not finding what's needed... I keep hearing Vermont is THE PLACE to go for the best hopped beers.  A great reason for a VACATION!

Beer Exchange?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    My awesome sister lives in VT and we getting the family together for the 4th. She has scoured around and has for me some Heady, Tribute and Sip of Sunshine. Can't wait! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    And here I thought this was the beer that put Philly on the map!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Wife just returned from Vermont. Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine and Tribute. 2 four packs of each. I actually like Sip of Sunshine better. There's also an offering from Long Trail called Space Juice that's pretty good. 
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Heady Topper so good, as I'm in the Midwest I've only had the pleasure once, maybe someone needs to irganize a craft beer exchange? I'm having a Glaucus from Pipeworks Chicago, great Beligian style IPA.
    Chicago, Illinois
  • steel_egg
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Wife just returned from Vermont. Heady Topper, Sip of Sunshine and Tribute. 2 four packs of each. I actually like Sip of Sunshine better. There's also an offering from Long Trail called Space Juice that's pretty good. 
    Never had sip of sunshine but my friend has had both and he prefers it as well. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Space Juice is fantastic!
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    You guys are KILLING ME!!!  Piney the Elder and Heady Topper in the same POST... (at least there's no Piney the Younger!)...

I guess I'll just sit here and suffer with my 12% Homebrew Imperial Stout!!...  Gonna have to take a trip to Burlington and head back down through Muster, IN to pick up a little "special" stuff...

If someone is willing to do some beer trading... I'm in the Nashville, TN area but close to Oskar Blues and the Atlanta breweries!!

Rick

Probably the best thing I could offer that's local to Pittsburgh is Fat Heads Headhunter ipa. Up there with the best of them. Unfortunately, the original bar in town for in to brewing and opened a brewery outside of Cleveland. The beer is too good to hold it against them. 
    Don't forget about I.C. Light  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Im in for a beer exchange if you guys are serious. There's also a local Jersey beer named Carton that is REALLY good. 
  • steel_egg
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    You guys are KILLING ME!!!  Piney the Elder and Heady Topper in the same POST... (at least there's no Piney the Younger!)...

I guess I'll just sit here and suffer with my 12% Homebrew Imperial Stout!!...  Gonna have to take a trip to Burlington and head back down through Muster, IN to pick up a little "special" stuff...

If someone is willing to do some beer trading... I'm in the Nashville, TN area but close to Oskar Blues and the Atlanta breweries!!

Rick

Probably the best thing I could offer that's local to Pittsburgh is Fat Heads Headhunter ipa. Up there with the best of them. Unfortunately, the original bar in town for in to brewing and opened a brewery outside of Cleveland. The beer is too good to hold it against them. 
    Don't forget about I.C. Light  =)
    I try to forget about as much as I can. It's not even brewed in Pittsburgh these days. 
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Well... Pliney the Elder Clone in prep....

BeerSmith says this will be 262 IBU's!!!

I'll let you know in 3 weeks!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Options
    Meanwhile, back at Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium I watch my fermenter bubble away while I savor my new favorite triple IPA Devil Dancer!

Did someone say BEER EXCHANGE?

Rick
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Meanwhile, back at Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium I watch my fermenter bubble away while I savor my new favorite triple IPA Devil Dancer!

Did someone say BEER EXCHANGE?

Rick
    That is okay when it is really fresh, otherwise it basically turns to a straight up barleywine very quickly.... not that there is anything wrong with barleywInes, but there is no resemblance of what I think os a IIIPA.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Beer Exchange Fall of 2017 ???
    Should it be home brew only or home brew/local brew or local brew only?

http://homebrewacademy.com/how-to-ship-beer/
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    poster said:
    I haven't tried any of the above beers yet, but it seems a lot of microbrew IPA, and others is a contest to see how much hops can be stuffed into one can. Lots are so bitter and taste like your sucking on a pine cone. It seems to be all the rage, but I just don't get it, maybe its just me. 
    @poster, I'm with you.  If we're ever at an Egghead gathering together, grab something out of my cooler and you'll be safe.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mckennan
    mckennan Posts: 25
    Options
  • mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Sip Of Sunshine is better. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    poster said:
    @poster, I'm with you.  If we're ever at an Egghead gathering together, grab something out of my cooler and you'll be safe.

Lol, sounds good to me
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    poster said:
    it seems a lot of microbrew IPA, and others is a contest to see how much hops can be stuffed into one can. 
    It's simply an effort by the breweries to stand out from the crowd. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I like a good bit of balance in my beer, but occasionally I enjoy one of those over-the-top brews. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    We stayed across the street from the brewery. I am not a beer drinker. My wife usually like a hoppy beer, but didn't like this on. She said the local brew pub must have ruined her.
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Just got back from CA this week and was able to bring home three bottles of Pliny, I have yet to have Heady Topper but have heard really good things about it. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    mckennan said:
    @foghorn you might like this brewery!
    http://www.drinkfoghorn.ca/
    You're darn tootin'.  It has to be good. Thanks for that @mckennan.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    This thread got me thirsty. I had to take a run by the brewery and pick up some captains daughter. This damn forum costs me money every time I log in  B)